Getting Rid of Norton for MSE (Have a Few Questions)

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Birdman, Aug 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Birdman

Birdman Registered Member

Hi. I'm currently using NIS 2012 on my Win 7 x64 system but I'm considering to dumping Norton (looking for something lighter) and switching to Microsoft Security Essentials. resources

I just have a few questions though:

1) After uninstalling NIS, should I ENABLE Win 7 built-in/default FIREWALL (along with my Router's Firewall)?

2) Does Microsoft Security Essentials have a feature to run "real time" in the background or it is ONLY a on-demand virus/malware scanner?

3) What is the RECOMMENDED settings for MSE?

4) Currently Windows Defender is DISABLED. After I install MSE, can I leave it disabled (or should I re-enable it)?

Thanks.....and I'm open to any suggestion/tips/info regarding Windows Firewall and MSE *recommended* set-up.

2. Jim1cor13

Jim1cor13 Registered Member

Hi Birdman :)

I advise using the "Norton removal tool" to make sure you get rid of the norton remnants leftover. That can be found here with instructions:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/nor...t=home&pvid=f-home&version=1&lg=english&ct=us

I would say yes to enabling Windows firewall. It does fine for most needs, but does not have the features as other popular firewalls such as HIPS, outgoing application monitor, etc. There available some add on utilities to enhance the windows firewall such as windows firewall control, etc.

MSE is a real time AV. I have not used it, so maybe others can offer more info.

It is up to you regarding Windows Defender. It will work fine with MSE. :)

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  3. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

i would disable the perforance montoring in NIS. that will make Norton lighter.

4. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

MSE works fine at default settings but there may be settings that you can disable. Others can offer insight on this. IMO Norton is actually lighter than MSE.

Regarding Windows Defender, you should leave it disabled because MSE is it's successor. In fact, MSE disables it during installation.

5. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

you will need something like sandboxie withit because mse sucks at fake av's

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.