Email Privacy thread

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by CloneRanger, Jan 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

2. MrBrian

3. MrBrian

Yandex email is another strong contender, IMHO. They are based in Russia. I posted more info about Yandex email at https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/a-good-gmail-alterative.355809/page-4#post-2377174.

Note: please avoid making political comments, or else this thread may be closed.

4. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

I use "vmail.me" sometimes... was wondering how it would fare through your rigorous testing?...

5. MrBrian

I had that one in my notes already:
    Since I am looking for email service from an established business, vmail.me doesn't fit that criteria. If it turns out that vmail.me can encrypt outgoing email, and you like (or don't mind) that it's not from an established business, and the alleged reliability issues don't bother you (or aren't accurate), then I'd consider vmail.me a good option.

6. MrBrian

If anyone is interested, these are the free email providers that I have listed in my notes:
    vfemail.net
    zoho.com
    aol.com
    gmx.com
    vmail.me
    openmailbox.org
    mailoo.org
    unseen.is
    autistici.org
    riseup.com
    mail.yandex.com
    hushmail.com

7. Reality

Reality Registered Member

Thanks Cloneranger for starting this thread and thanks MrBrian for all your work on this.

8. MrBrian

9. luciddream

I haven't tested to see if it encrypts outgoing mail... to be completely honest was hoping you had since you said you looked into it already and seem to be thorough about this stuff.

I don't mind that it's not from an establish company at all, as I don't find most established companies to be trustworthy these days anyhow. In fact I'd prefer the company be small and/or unknown... less chance that "the man" has infiltrated it.

Thanks a lot for the hard work and recommendations MrBrian

10. MrBrian

You're welcome :).

11. luciddream

Now I finally get the motivation to test it out and I can't get the site to work. Maybe some element I have blocked, who knows, sometimes I'm too secure for my own good. So if someone could get that to work and test it out I'd be much obliged.

As for vmail being unreliable, I can attest to that being the case (in the past), but it no longer is. I used to get a lot of mail "returned to sender", from gmail all the time of all things, making it virtually unusable since everyone and their mother uses gmail. But no more.

All the signs I see indicate that it's an outfit that's genuine about it's aims, though perhaps not completely competent. It looks like they got help from Roundcube to do things they could not do themselves, and that smoothed things out. And now the main, if not only hangup is lack of resources/server space. As one can see you cannot even sign up for new accounts right now, and that's been the case for the most part for awhile now. On one hand that's another sign they've bitten off more than they can chew. But on the other more evidence that they're not some shady outfit, or they'd be well funded, better organized, and wouldn't be turning away any potential "marks" for sure. But face the problem of offering an already quality free service with not much to gain for their paid accounts (probably just more space and not much more, though I haven't looked closely at the plans). And often this is a kiss of death for such services... victims of their own generosity/quality of free service. Much like lifetime subs for great software. So who knows if they'll last. Probably not since it actually seems like a good thing.

12. MrBrian

13. luciddream

Seems like some very mixed results... who to trust? That's really the question these days. There would be obvious motives to steer people away from a quality/legit/trustworthy service. I'm sticking with it until I see something more convincing. But then I don't share anything sensitive with anyone over a box connected to the net these days.

14. luciddream

After further review it looks like vmail is not specifically on any blacklist there. That site is just showing you methods on how to determine whether or not any domain/IP/host warrants being put on a blacklist, and leaves the work to you. At least that's what I gather. And after all the checking I've done vmail seems to come back clean & trustworthy.

15. Reality

Reality Registered Member

I've been looking at a freebie email service and unfortunately Vmails free offering doesn't hide your IP address. Im looking for an alternative to Hushmail which does.

16. MrBrian

See post #4.

17. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

I'm pretty sure that vmail.me is usable via Tor.

18. luciddream

Oh, I saw it was blacklisted by 6 sources, all based on 1 IP, and given the green/OK by 97 others. If I were using VT Hash Check to scan a file and saw these results I'd consider it almost definitely a false positive. And when combined with all the other resources I've used to check the site (including several you've graciously provided here), it makes it seem even more-so to be the case.

Then when I look at the criteria for what can land you on the blacklists of the ones that flagged them it makes sense even more. Poor server configuration, which I cited myself in here was the case with them. At the beginning it was a mess. And even after cleaning things up it seems they still have no server space, hence the inability to create new (free) accounts at the time. And another thing to land you on one of these blacklists: "dynamic IP addresses previously used by spammers". Well heck... based on that criteria you, I and everyone else could be blacklisted.

So I would hardly let those results deter me. In fact to the contrary it makes me even more confident in them.

19. MrBrian

From [Microsoft]Advancing our encryption and transparency efforts:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.