CompuSec - HD encryption

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by iceni60, Dec 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i'm thinking of installing CompuSec, and i hope someone can answer some questions i have about it?

1) what's the point of it?. is it manily to protected the computer incase it gets stolen?, or/and will it stop a cracker from being able to read data from your HD?

2) is it a running service? and does it use alot of resourses?

3) have/do you use/d it? what do you thing of it?

thanks. :)

heres another link for it...
    http://www.snapfiles.com/get/compusec.html

2. zexton

zexton Guest

I'm not an expert on hard drive encryption, but from what I understand encrypting your hard drive will indeed protect you from a hacker who was able to download the contents of your hd, or from hd/computer theft also.

But here's the problem with encrypting your hd, after encrypting you may have problems doing an image of your hd and may not be successful in your attempts to restore the image made with any program like Ghost, True Image ect... So from what I understand you have to choose one or the other- hd Image or hd encryption. If anyone knows a way around this problem please post it.

3. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks zexton. at the moment i dont do imaging. im not sure if anyone uses it here, i did a search and nothing came up. maybe if we are patient someone will turn up.

4. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi, im downloading this now, it says it is important that you disable any anti-virus software during installation, otherwise the install will fail.

and...

CompuSec PC Security Suite is a security software that uses pre-boot authentication and full hard disk encryption as well as encryption of floppy disks and other removable media. The pre-boot access control requires you to enter your UserID and password before the system will boot up.

there's also more here and here

as far as i can make out you only have to disable your AV (and AT i suppose) during installation. then once it's installed you can re-enable them. does that sound right to you? has anyone tried this great software? and this is something i'd really like to know, system restore will work OK with this installed? because if i dont want it i want to use system restore to get rid of it. i will use total uninstall to install it too though. thanks :)

5. test

test Guest

I installed this my PC hung after i gave the password nothign works
    i think i ost all my data.

6. squash

squash Registered Member

I use AxCrypt to encrypt only my personal files. I don't see a need to encrypt even the Windows System files like Compusec does.

7. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

well this program sounds interesting enough to try it out. I am downloading it at the moment :) we'll see, hope it's good...

8. meneer

meneer Registered Member

Looks like it. I don't have personal experiance with this product, but I do know Safeboot and SafeGuard Easy. And yes, If you can't use the key to login, you're lost! For professional environments you have to use a centrally managed solution. Compusec looks promising, it is the only free disk encryption tool of it's kind.

Primary advice: always first test this kind of tool on a non production system!

9. Infinity

ok, I had to format my computer, my vmware is gone...everything is gone and I had to start from scratch...

I give my password, I wrote it down for pre boot authentication and the keys from my keybord changed in that pre boot password login screen. That's it, I'll never use that program again in my life :)

10. kareldjag

kareldjag Registered Member

11. Infinity

Thanx Kareldjag, It's a bit late now ;) everything is set up and good to go :D

12. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i feel really bad about this, i only just saw your post about reformatting :( i wish we could have spoken before you installed it, so i could have warned you about that problem. i was almost at the point of reformatting too, but i tried all the possible combinations of the passwords i had given and it worked in the end.

looking back at this post i said i didn't think it would be possible for anyone to get it to work, that's how difficult it had been for me, and i knew it was just luck i managed to get the passwords right in the end. sorry.

13. meneer

meneer Registered Member

I hope to get some info by someone who will try the software (I did warn him :))

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.