Chrome Releases Faster, More Stable 64-Bit Builds for Windows

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Dragon1952, Jun 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FleischmannTV

FleischmannTV Registered Member

I think it was not the intention to inquire whether it was beneficial or not (though I wouldn't do it either).

I can reproduce this here as well.

2. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Yes, I use SBIE mostly to redirect ALL Chrome disk write activity to RamDisk and to delete all cache once the program is closed. Sandbox aspect is not that important to me when using Chrome... If there will be problems with SBIE I will run it un-sandboxed.

3. jdd58

jdd58 Registered Member

To those of you seeing multiple tiny tabs try unchecking "Use hardware acceleration when available" in the advanced settings and see if that helps.

I'm not using Sandboxie but I was seeing those tab anomalies as well. Cleared up the problem for me.

4. beethoven

beethoven Registered Member

I am running chrome (32bit) in sandboxie as I like to do any kind of banking in special enclosed environment. Once done, this sandbox is closed / emptied and none of the details should be available to other programs. As far as I understand Chrome is running sandboxed, so the browser is isolated from my OS but does that mean, all communication with the outside (keyloggers?) is also stopped?

5. FleischmannTV

FleischmannTV Registered Member

No, other programs on your computer can manipulate the browser process. In fact many security programs already do that. Hitman.Pro Alert, Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit, Emsisoft Anti-Malware and many others for example inject their .dlls into the browser process.

6. beethoven

beethoven Registered Member

sorry, so you are confirming that other processes can manipulate the browser processes. In that case would it not be a good idea to run even chrome in sandboxie so that financial transactions can be handled in the way I described above?

7. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

Thats true but Opera became kind of like a Firefox joke after they changed their rendering engine to the same one that Chrome uses.

8. moontan

moontan Registered Member

anybody else beside me find has problems to open PDF documents from the web?

some opens, some don't . ;)

9. Alexhousek

Alexhousek Registered Member

Is there currently or will there be a portable 64-bit version available anytime soon?

10. Dave0291

Dave0291 Registered Member

Probably after it goes stable. As it stands it definitely isn't ready for prime time, in my experience at least. Lots of failed page loads, several browser crashes, etc. Going back to 32 bit fixed the problems immediately.

11. moontan

strange.
    the only problems i've had so far is to open PDF docs inside Chrome.
    sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't
    beside that, it's been behaving good.

12. Dave0291

I had the same PDF issues along with my other problems. You could fire up the browser now, and open PDF files without a hiccup. Try it again later, no dice. I made sure to go without addons for my trial run, so I could be sure it was actually the browser messing up and nothing else. I'll try again when it gets to stable or close to it.

13. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

64-bit beta Chrome Web browser arrives for Windows.

-- Tom

14. moontan

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2014
  15. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

for those who are moaning about firefox lacking x64 support - since v4 x64 is available always as nightly and stable for linux. so now - who is behind?

16. Dave0291

Still Firefox. The 64 build for Chrome may still be in Alpha, but Google has the intention of officially releasing it. The 64 build for Firefox has been in Alpha for years, and Mozilla as of yet has shown little interest in moving forward with it. As for the Linux version, it's irrelevant. If you don't have an officially supported product on Windows, Mac or their equivalent mobile systems, or even Android for crying out loud, you really don't matter.

17. Carver

Carver Registered Member

There is CyberFox 64 bit and WaterFox 64 bit. My Bank accepts Firefox and other financial institutions but some don't.

18. Victek

Victek Registered Member

As the previous poster noted CyberFox and WaterFox - essentially 64 bit Firefox - have been available for some time, and there is Pale Moon as well. These are not from Mozilla, but so what? In any case what real value do 64 bit browsers have at this point?

19. Dave0291

I responded to the question of Firefox itself and 64 bit, which, still, is irrelevant as Mozilla doesn't seem to care anymore. Cyberfox and its alternatives are a different subject. As to the value of 64 bit, beyond the slight increase in security, not all that much. Nothing you're really going to do on the web is going to make any difference between 32 and 64 bit.

20. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I assume when it moves to the beta channel I will have to get it from there and update? I assume I stay on the dev channel as long as I don't install from a different one? I am not a regular Chrome user so I don't know how they handle this.

21. moontan

i'm not sure what you are saying/asking there.

the Dev channel updates once every couple of weeks.
    you can also check for updates by clicking on "About Google Chrome" in the options.

anyway, when Chrome 64 bits hit the Beta or Stable i'll just uninstall the Dev version and install the newer ones.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  22. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

That was my question. When the 64 bit hits beta or stable would I need to uninstall and move to beta or stable, but based on your response I am assuming so.

23. Kirk Reynolds

Kirk Reynolds Registered Member

As fast as Chrome development is, I thought this might have made it to beta by now. Maybe it's getting close to it. I'm looking forward to trying it when it goes to the stable channel.

24. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

you can feel the power of chrome X64 over linux....i check it in Ubuntu and i FEEL THE SPEED....but keep in mind there are many variable who effect that speed...

25. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

It's still, apparently, on the Dev channel [v38]. I was under the (mistaken) impression that the new beta (v37) would have an x64 iteration.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.