Cannot do image backup

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by shell24, Sep 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shell24

shell24 Registered Member

Advised by the forum to an image backup instead of a clone.......

I did this and after about 30 minutes it failed, log says disk is full 0x70015, failed to process temperory files.

I'm trying to do an image backup of C:partition to a new 160 GB SimpleTech mini hard disk. My backup will only be 50 GB. Why is disk full?

What can I do to work this out?

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Isn't this the same external drive that you tried to Clone before? You have to erase it before attempting to put an Image on it.

3. shell24

Not understanding.

SimpleTech Mini comes formated NTFS. Ready to go. It's empty except for their own backup program.

When I tried to clone, TI said it would have to erase all, but then I was advised I could do an image backup and leave the software on the new disk.

There is 150 GB of empty space and I'm backing up 50 GB of C: drive.

So, what is the proper procedure to use TI to backup?

4. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Edit: The "process temporary files" was bothering me. Is there a chance it is referring to the disk you are backing up? TI would probably want some workspace. How much free space do you have on that disk/partitions?

If you started the image and it ran that long, it is unlikely something is wrong in the command. If you want, you can create an image to another partition or the one you are imaging as a test if there is enough room. If it is the one you are imaging, TI will warn you that you can't restore from there but just ignore that. This will provide confidence you are imaging properly and it will also give you a giant file you can try to transfer to the USB drive with Windows Explorer.

This is a new drive?

Does it show 150GB free right now?

Have you transferred a good selection of other files using Windows Explorer to ensure it is working properly - within the limits of that test?

You can run chkdsk X: /r on it which will check the file structure and the surface. Substitute the drive letter for the X in the command. By doing this it will also achieve a bit of a test of the USB chipset interface.

Does it have 2 USB connectors on the cable and if so, are they both plugged in? This is necessary to get enough power for the drive and TI will put a good load on it.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2008
  5. shell24

Thanks.
    TI instructions was to plug in only one cord.

6. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Okay ... I thought you carried out the cloning.

7. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

1. Clone or Restore using Resize comparison
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1299861&postcount=9

2. You need a backup of your entire system disk (disk option checked) if you plan on restoring the backup to a new disk. This type backup would include all partitions on the system disk. Check your Windows Disk Management graphical display to see how your drive is partitioned. You may have recovery or hidden partitions.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=182029&d=1154752686

3. Your TI image archive (*.tib) will be about 60-70% of your used space. Simply create a new folder on your external drive and point the backup creation to that folder. Since the storage drive is NTFS, the file will one single file--unless you invoke the backup option to split the file in sizes you designate.
    The *.tib archive files are normal files and all files relating to one backup should be stored in same folder. I use different folders for completely different backups
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=193151&d=1188786467

4. Check line 2 of my signature below is a beginning guide on backup creation and the restoring of those files. Line 3 of my signature discusses procedures for using your backup when restoring to a new or larger drive.

8. MrMorse

MrMorse Registered Member

@shell24

Why did you open this thread?

HERE is the thread where you have to continue:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=1320768#post1320768

To open serveral theads to the same problem does not generate more answers. Even it is contrary !
    In ONE thread you can see all problems together. If new people read the thread, they can follow the whole 'story'.

EDIT:
    I see 3 threads of you:
    "Cannot do image backup ", "Cannot backup email " and "Cannot clone hard drive "

I have the impression you cannot do anything with your TrueImage-software.
    My polite advices:
    - Read the manual thoroughly
    - describe your workflow properly in the threads
    - don't open for all your problems serveral threads. The result can be that nobody answers you.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2008
  9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello shell24,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for delayed response.

Most likely, the cause of the problem is the same as for the one you described in this thread you created, as pointed by MrMorse. So, please see my recommendations there, and continue the discussion there.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.