Antivir updates

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by joter, Feb 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shek

shek Registered Member

It is really easy to tell that it is a typo, because in the main page, download page, and its forum, all of them say it is final. Meanwhile, someone also mentioned that in the wildersecurity before. therefore, it is very obvious error. But I do agree with you that there are some errors and out-dated info in antivir's website and they did confuse user a lot.

In terms of config screen problem, it doesn't apply to me, since my system is xp. and I also saw a thread relating to it in its forum before. the only thing i could say is that maybe antivir team puts the bugs in NT systems into priority, since the majority is using NT. So be patient. btw, do you change the configuration very often? Otherwise, i don't see any reasons why it should bother you a lot.

regards,

shek

2. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Well its easy for you and me to tell because you and I know ,however I dont think excuses should be made for hbedv "typos" on thier official website.The configuration screen does bother me a lot actually,regardless of whether i use it daily or once in a liftime.The reason being is that its not correct ,HBEDV must be aware that its not correct ,and nothings been done ,before or after release ,about it.Its the attention to small details that make a great product ,and show how much work has gone into a product.Making excuses because a user may or may not use that function frequently ,so its OK to leave it "broken" is a poor excuse IMO.
    ellison

3. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I think they really ought to reconsider the whole nag approach. True, when I used version 7 for a while, I paid nothing. But why nag people? That isn't supporting AntiVir in any way. It's just a nuisance that they hope will push some folks into buying. If the product is free, then it ought to be free of nags too, like every other free product out there. Do you see any other free AVs with nag screens? I think not.

Anyway, the nag is simple to remove for anyone using Win2k/XP and NTFS file systems. Just use Explorer to find 'avnotify.exe' in the AntiVir folder. Right click on it and select Properties. Then Select the Security tab. Then Advanced. Then for each user and system Edit and Deny execution. Then you're good to go.

Although there are ways to work around the nag stuff, I find it extremely silly for them to put that in there to begin with. To me, it cheapens a good product unnecessarily. I think many people will try it, see the nag screen, and then quickly remove AntiVir because of this.

Anyway, just my opinion or 2 cents worth. Others may feel differently, which is fine. ;)

4. FRug

FRug Registered Member

Actually it doesn't say that... it says you are supposed to uninstall your beta before installing the final, but that's the only place that the av7 beta is mentioned there. Search the page for beta, it's mentioned in two places, the one in pointed out and in context with the heuristics.

About the nag screen, yup it's been a tad annoying in the beginning, however I haven't had a popup for days now without trying any workarounds.

5. StevieO

StevieO Registered Member

We got some kind of reply the other day, but nothing official ?

So i still would like to know why my VDF file doesn't show that it has been updated. It's still appears to be stuck on, and showing the same definition file from over a week ago ?

Does this mean that those of of us using AV6 are not protected with the latest virus definitions ?

StevieO

6. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Reference
    1.The new heuristic engine 2 only works with the new AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic, version 7 and the AntiVir PersonalEdition Premium, version 7 that are undergoing beta testing right now as well. You can download the beta version of the AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic from this website.
    2.Together with the static runtime packer unpacking of the 6.33 engine that is already part of the AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic, Version 7 - beta - the heuristic engine performs code analyses and searches for typical malware functionality.
    3.After downloading it unpack the file and copy the DLL into the root directory of your AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic, version 7, beta version. This is by default the directory C:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic.
    4.Please note:

The new heuristic engine (beta) only works properly with the AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic, version 7 (beta). You should in no case use it with an existing installation of AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic, version 6.
    5.Important Notice

The new heuristic engine and the new AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic, Version 7 are both beta versions that might contain bugs or produce irregular behaviour. Therefore both products should not be used in a productive environment.

No disrespect Frug but if your eyesight or interpretation of whats written on that page,is anything to go by then i hope you wasnt an antivir beta tester.
    ellison

7. LambChop

LambChop Registered Member

Found this over on the AntiVir Support forum:
    http://www.free-av.com/
    AntiVir PersonalEdition Support Forum » Windows - [Englisch | English] » AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic » General questions about the updates » update broblem...
    There are several referrences there.
    cav9
    Blue Today, 00:20

"just found a solution in another thread. Download the latest version of AntiVir. Extract it but don't install it. Shut down the program (right-click the system tray icon and select "Close Control Program"). Grab the file HBEDV.KEY from the new version that you extracted. Copy that file into your program folder, overwriting the old file. Start AntiVir Guard again. Run the updater. Now it works."

If you go to the section that is in English -- you will find more:
    :)

8. FRug

FRug Registered Member

ellison: i was referring to the main announcement page, not the beta subpage, you are correct about the subpage though.

9. azumi21

azumi21 Registered Member

Antivir update works fine here - always has.
    I usually update about 8:pm PST with cable.
    It updates very quick I might add.

On another note, I wouldn't use any Free AV as my prime AV solution.
    Bitdefender8 and Antivir are the best of the Free by far (for backup scanners).
    Avast, Avg, etc are just so-so (better than nothing).

10. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Can you set AntiVir to update say every 4 hours and get thru to their servers every time it tries? If so, then you must be in Germany or something.

11. azumi21

azumi21 Registered Member

No, I just manually update once a day (around 8pm pst).
    No need for more on my end, as it's not my primary AV.

12. pcontour

pcontour Registered Member

With the latest update.

Right Click on the Icon and choose "Start AntiVir"

When you look a the Status page you will notice

License valid until: 5/31/2006

Question 1: Are they planning to convert AntiVir to a paid virus checker?

Question 2: I am currently use the V7 with the V6.33 definitions and Search Engine. I used the product because of it's fast loading, smalll memeory and CPU footprints. Did anyone notice that the new AntiVir causes their system to load a lot slower?

Question 3: I found problems with the English forums of AntiVir and gave up on them. Does anyone else feel the same?

13. pcontour

pcontour Registered Member

Question 4 - It doesn't seem to be possible to use the Windows Scheduler to run the updates. Now I need their scheduling program running as well. Is it possible to use the Windows Scheduler anymore? If so how?

14. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Regarding your question on the license, it will apparently be updated/extended some time before 5/31/06 so there's no need to worry, this per a post on their forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.