Antivir Notifier-- why?!?!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by TOOEVL, Feb 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TOOEVL

TOOEVL Registered Member

First off,I'm very happy with Antivir's ability to detect viruses,trojans, etc etc. I'm using their free version and there's something we all could live without. This is not just My opinion but many other users of this program as well. It's the Antivir Notifier "Nag Screen" that pops up while updating of the program. It does nothing but make the program look very unprofessional. If we wanted a pay version,we would seek out the pay version,we dont need to be told that it is available.

Is there a way to get rid of this unwanted "notifier"?

2. shek

shek Registered Member

i use process guard to block the avnotify.exe. it works for me.

regards,

shek

3. TOOEVL

TOOEVL Registered Member

Process Guard is a very good program,however,it wont work on Windows 98,which is what I'm using :D

In the older version, you could just delete or rename the notifier,in this new version,this won't work. So,I'm (and alot of other people) are looking for a way to get rid of this "notifier".

4. StevieO-

StevieO- Guest

5. minacross

minacross Registered Member

what about deleting the file "..\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avnotify.exe" ?
    it works for me..

6. TOOEVL

TOOEVL Registered Member

This doesnt work for Version 7

StevieO- Will try that program out later,see how it works out :)

7. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Rename or deleting 'avnotify.exe' won't work as the updater copies it back on the next update. The only way to get rid of this ridiculous annoyance is to prevent 'avnotify.exe' from executing. You can use a firewall like Kerio 4 or Abtrusion Protector or whatever, but the easiest way on a Win2k or XP system is to just change the file's security properties to prevent execution. Use Explorer to find 'avnotify.exe', right click on it and select Properties, then select the Security tab. Then under Advanced, you can prevent execution for each user on your system, including System itself. This works for me. No more nags. If they find a way to prevent me from doing this, then that's it for me, I'm changing to another AV. They really need to reconsider their strategy and remove this nag nonsense.

8. waters

waters Registered Member

Thanks Kerodo.It didnt bother me that much but why have it if it can be simply stopped.

9. TOOEVL

TOOEVL Registered Member

I tried to goto that Nagscreenkiller website,but its not available. I'm almost to the point of uninstalling this Antivir nightmare. There is NO REASON why this notifier needs to be active in a freeware program,none what-so-ever!

10. waters

waters Registered Member

I now just block notify.exe with firewall.This just works fine

11. anon****

anon**** Guest

Seeing that a lot of people put a lot of effort into providing a fairly good service for free, don't you lot think it';s only fair to pay for it, eventally?

The splash screen is just a reminder of the desire of some hard working people to make you lot aware that they too have to eat, support their families, pay taxes, etc., etc.

If you really want to complain about anything, complain to the horde of virus writers, trojan writers and other people who try to make life on the net a pain in the arse.

My thoughts.

12. TOOEVL

TOOEVL Registered Member

There are 2 versions of this antivirus: Free and a PAID VERSION. I chose the free version, if I decide to make a descision to use the paid version,it will be my choice only,no-one needs to be nagged in this world to make a choice whether it's choosing antivirus or making choices in every day living.

Avast has a freeware version and a paid version,they have no nag screens. Bitdefender has a paid and freeware version,they have no nag screens. If these two companies have no nags within their programs,then why does Antivir need one?

13. StevieO-

StevieO- Guest

The first thing that occurred to me when i initially installed AntiVir last year, was to block it using ZA which i did and it worked. I seem to remember some problem though after updating to AV7 with blocking it. I've gone back to AV6 anyway now, and for about 4 or 5 days the nag screen hasn't appeared, and as of up up yesterday the auto install of AV7 has stopped too !

Yes your right the NagScreenKiller site has gone down since i posted about it ? But it's available on here and it's safe as i've scanned it.

Your Download-Link: http://rapidshare.de/files/12565748/NagScreenKiller_v1.6.exe.html

StevieO

14. herbalist

herbalist Guest

Take a look at System Safety Monitor. It does run on 98 and gives you full control over all processes. Although it's still in beta, it's nearly ready for final release. I use it on 98 and it's excellent. Puts an end to that notifier.
    Rick

15. Benvan45

Benvan45 Registered Member

It's not fair to pay for something that's marketed as a free program. Don't start about 'them' having to eat, support of their families etc......

Perhaps you are being paid for stating this crap?

:thumbd: Putin

16. PCJohn

PCJohn Registered Member

A small message like Lavasoft Adaware displays would be a good compromise.

17. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Link in tray context menu (like avast! has it) or a simple small "banner" in main AntiVir panel. Poping up some giant window on every update is annoying like hell.

18. waters

waters Registered Member

Well just now tried update,and recieved a large message.
    It was basically complaining how imperative it was for the notifier to have access,so as to inform about the paid version, however there was a check box to allow me to turn off notifier.
    So deny access with firewall and when it complains it allows you to turn it off

19. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Even if you turn it off with that check box, it still returns next time. I tried that. Easiest way is to change the file's security properties on 'avnotify.exe' to deny execution. That works fine here, no more popups.

20. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

OIgeddit -- all programmers are independently wealthy, of course.:cautious:

21. Benvan45

Benvan45 Registered Member

No, they are not......but stating this is complete nonsense, as they promote a freeware program.

Good luck! ;) Putin

22. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

Just think of the AntiVir Notifier as a means of "buy-jacking" your browser!

David

23. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

I would imagine the notifier being counter productive .Many new computer users are recommended to use a free av to start off with ,while they "get to grips " with thier new toy ,by friends or family,and the last thing, the friend or family member wants is mess about with an advertisment popup for them.Although i use antivir premium ,i would not recommended the free to any "newbie" aquaintances of mine,because its not set it and forget it simply for that reason alone.Also an experienced user may get rather annoyed at the notifier and switch too.Although i know that antivir has a better detection than AVG ,I would probably use avast or avg before the free antivir with the annoying ADVERT,in fact theres no probably about it.I would use another av,if i had to choose a free one at present.
    ellison

24. TOOEVL

TOOEVL Registered Member

As of today 2-15-06 I am no longer using Antivir version 7. I'm switching over to Avast free.

1)I'm sick of the rediculous notifier.exe popping up after every update

2)See number one,because updating Antivir is a nightmare! Their update servers are STILL too busy and slow,which makes it really hard to update an antivirus program.

3)The company themselves dont seem too worried about any of our concerns and or problems with the program itself.Their support forum is rarely used to inform the users to what is going on,99% of the time your left in the dark.

4) There will be more and more people like myself who dump this worthless free antivirus

25. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I have to agree on all points.. I also suspect that the update problems are not just due to 'busy' servers. I think they are actually limiting access to certain regions at certain times/hours. Even with version 6, I could never get thru to their servers for an update for about 12 hours of the day (I am in the US, Pacific region).

So, all around, there are just too many problems to ignore, at least for now. The notifier popup nag screen thing is something they should definitely rethink and remove. There just is no place for that stuff in today's world IMO.

They are losing users quickly to Avast and other AVs and they better take notice if they care about their future market at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.