AntiVir Incremental VDF-Update Beta

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by iwod, Aug 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iwod

iwod Registered Member

More Info here

2. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Ok,thats a step into right direction. I just hope they'll use it in combination with auto update checker that checks in intervals like all other AVs do.
    Gonna try it out right away :)

3. iwod

iwod Registered Member

Does it not update automatically? If so then what is the updating services for?

4. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

If you are referring to the AntiVir Update Service (AVWUpSrv.exe), that is purely to enable you to update from a non-administrator account.

If you always do your updating from an account with full Administrator priviledges, then you do not really need AVWUpSrv.exe running at all. Though I wouldn't recommend disabling the service if you are running AntiVir realtime. However you certainly can if you merely use AntiVir as a back-up scanner.

5. _ak_

_ak_ Guest

Rejzor: AntiVir has an auto updater (hourly,daily, etc) for YEARS already.
    Look for the scheduler :)

6. iwod

iwod Registered Member

Are there any command line option for the Updater? So i could use Window Built to schedule?

P.S The more i use AntiVir, the more i think it is built for Windows 3.1 in mind........

7. wildman

wildman Registered Member

:eek: As some well know I have blasted H+BEDV in the past. While I think that there are better free programs available, I have to say for those individuals with older machines having limited memory capacity AntiVir/classic is the one that I found takes the least amount. I like others hope that H+BEDV comes into the current day world an continues to make improvements to AntiVir/classic. I would like to see them become much more open to the general public as well, however I really don't expect to see that happen.

Thanks
    Wildman
    :cool:

8. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Alleluia...

9. minacross

minacross Registered Member

slow servers..slow servers..slow servers :rolleyes:
    download spead 1.5:2KB/s .. not enough :'(
    you sould find a fix for this bandwidth chronic problem. :( :rolleyes:

Edit: BTW, what exactly is specvir_h.zip? It's more than 320KB in size? o_O :rolleyes:

10. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

That scheduler thing is the dumbest and ugliest thing on Earth that i wouldn't call auto-update module...

11. hbkh

hbkh Registered Member

specvir_h.zip contains the AVRep.dll file (which does who knows what), but I've noticed it doesn't update very often. Also, I think the speed will get better once everyone is using this version. :)

12. shek

shek Registered Member

i think avrep.dll relates to the antivir's virus cleaning ability.

13. _ak_

_ak_ Guest

Rejzor: why is it dumb? It may not be a skinnable directx powered shader 2.0 enhanced 3d gui with cool glowing thingies, but it does handle hourly updates without necessary user interaction, which is exactly what an automatic updater should do.
    The classic version may be limited in a way that it cannot be made completely silent (box pops up, but no need to click anything), i don't see that as a problem though. I installed it at a friends place who is not very good with computers and she did set up the scheduler herself in less than 2 minutes.

It's there to work, not to shower you with eyecandy. Oh and if you like to, you could also use windows' own scheduler for the updates...
    The separation into a different gui and the taskbar icon is a bit annoying though.

wildman: I doubt an AV company has any interest or time spoonfeeding all users that whine about something with soothing snippets of information. There have been many occasions of them mentioning incremental vdfs to be released in fall. All you had to say iirc was along the lines of 'i don't believe you' and 'you suck anyway'. Personally i wouldn't expect 'openness' towards users to be synonymous to changing their diapers and giving them a hug because they are screaming bloody murder...

14. iwod

iwod Registered Member

Well it will end up more people using the classic version and the server will still be slow....

Any idea on how to get Command line update?

( I have about a dozen of suggestions on top of my head but i think i shouldn't be asking so much since it is free :D )

15. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

The server isn't inherently slow. Rather, it is heavily loaded. Between 1AM & 6AM Germany time, I regularly obtain downloads at ~150KBPS-200KBPS.

The paid version's server has a much lighter load, I am told.

16. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

_ak_
    No offense,but i tell critics as they are (even if they sound offensive). And that updating thing is really really awful.
    Loads of weird switches that probably even H+BEDV guys don't understand (btw there is no documentation how to use them correctly),very unflexible control and finally extremelly ugly tray icon that looks like program that escaped from Win3.1 (and kills all the beauty of my Windows XP). In days of alpha blended hi-res icons i expect one to be there. It's not a rocket science to make a nice icon... C'mon it's year 2005 not 1990...
    And why do we need another extra running thing when all other AVs (ok except F-Prot) can update with their internal modules with simple controls to manage time of updates (start/stop) and intervals on which AV should check for updates.

17. _ak_

_ak_ Guest

rejzor: as i said, the split in different apps is not that great, we agree on that. But it's different to claim something is not supported because you don't like the look of the icon.
    The switches are documented in the Help file which comes with the installation, besides the non-interactive mode can be set up in the GUI without using switches...

18. wildman

:) And that is why if any of the other companies who provide "free" virus protection programs ever come out with a "free" version that is low on memory use you can watch AntiVir/classic an H+BEDV file for bankruptcy.

It must be nice to be such an expert in these matters, to bad the rest of the population is not up to that level. I kind of wonder what type of companies the general public would like to deal with. The "A hole ones"? or the "ones with integrity an a good product"? I guess some people will always be happy with settling for crap. Also I kind of think a companies track record has allot to say about that company. I think ya now should get the picture.

Thanks
    Wildman
    :rolleyes: :p

Last edited: Aug 4, 2005
  19. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Just to clear something. Such messages could be offensive,but whining actually helps programs to improve. Also critics. If i angry say that their updater sux big time then there must be some truth and they should look into improving it.
    For example i have never complained about avast! or AVG (although this one is a bit more limited) because they work flawlessly. They are also both free,so my critic is in place. AntiVir is a very nice peace of software i admit it,but whole program is always somewhere in the back just because of crappy not automatic by default updater. Incrimental updates are good start,but they should also remake whole updater to be more user friendly.

20. wildman

:rolleyes: RejZor: Hey I think I have been saying it for few years now. I have been called everything in the book, must have touched a few raw nerves. Any company that can not take criticism in my opinion does not deserve to stay in business. An those who would criticize us for expressing an honest opinion do not deserve any attention from us.

Thanks
    Wildman

21. iwod

iwod Registered Member

I finally got how to use Window Built in Scheduler to update. So i dont have to use the AntiVir Scheduler, one less process wasting memory.

Although i have to agree with RejZor. The Update command line swtiches are very awkward. And it would be great if they could add "/MIN" to start minimize and "/Q" to quit automatically.

Apart from these two point i actually learn to love it. You can get rid of the icon by closing down the Control center. Which means you end up with one process for Antivir and running in background.

In terms of resources. ( Well, as usual I always test software resources usage :D )
    After tweaking it has lower memory resources than NOD32, and around the same CPU usage. Please note that in the long run, NOD32 uses less CPU usage than Antivir. I think this is because NOD32 doesn't scan the same files if it hasn't changed since last scan.

Edit: Would disable control centre also disable warning message?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2005
  22. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Yes and same goes for AntiVir...

23. Simon Phoenix

Simon Phoenix Registered Member

Can you show me how to do this thanks, my avgaurd isn't active.

24. iwod

iwod Registered Member

Sorry for the late reply. ( Been on a trip )

1. Goto Windows Secheduler
    2. File-> Add new
    3. Click browseand locate AntiVir installed dir and find "INETUPD.EXE"
    4. Add "/UDE /EXP" without the "" after INETUPD.exe
    5. Set your desire update time........

Sorry for the messy instruction........ it is 7am and still haven't slept yet........><

25. ephoenix

ephoenix Guest

Isn't working it says it's a invalid command.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.