AntiVir Incremental VDF-Update Beta

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by iwod, Aug 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

BigC if you mean put Wildman on *ignore* so none of his posts show up, I really don't want to do that. First off, despite his rants about AVPE, I consider him to be an online friend. Secondly, when he isn't on his soapbox, he often provides useful and interesting comments about security and security programs.

All I'm asking is to be able to read a thread about AVPE that doesn't consist 25% or more of his repetitive rants.

Of COURSE he has a right to his opinion -- once, twice, three time -- but count how many posts he has made in this thread. Read them & see how similar they all are. Isn't there SOME sort of reasonable limit? Probably not. I suppose this is the way it is with *political correctness*.

To read balanced & informative discussions of AVPE, I'll just have to limit myself to an AVPE discussion forum where the Mods actually keep this sort of thing within reasonable boundaries.

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I do see your point and the subject is under advisement. It is appreciated that you do have an understanding of equal rights and and as I stated it is under advisement.
    thank you
    bigc

3. wildman

wildman Registered Member

:D O.k., I get the picture, but just admit that I have had a point for many a year now in regards to AntiVir/classic server(s). Stop trying to white wash the issue. Stop indicating that the problem is being taken care of, when it still is in existence. Admit that because you do not have the same problem, does not mean that others do not. Admit that AntiVir/Classic is the only one of the "free" ones who consistently has problem in this regard. Warn individuals that this is a possibility. You do all of that and my posts on this subject come to a halt. For years now, I have not seen this happen.

I like a certain individual from Hawaii, but I some times think he has his head buried in the sand.

Thanks
    Wildman
    :ninja:

4. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

You've already gotten all that. I can think of more than one poster who has agreed with you. Not everyone granted, but some, recheck the posts.:)

5. wildman

:) O.k., take a look at this post folks. This individual is the one who will receive the credit for putting the Wildman's rants and raves about AntiVir to rest. One individual who has told it like it is, and for that I thank him.

Thanks
    Wildman
    :cool:

6. iwod

iwod Registered Member

Wildman, may be simply they dont have the money to spend on new server? I mean you cant force a begger to give money when they have none!

Although most of the time that is not the case. I suspect that they will try to polish their incremental update as well as make it avalible to all component not only just signatures. When this is done than they will look in the issues of servers?

Or they could use tricks such as force the updater to update at certain times depending on their locations? Just an idea :D

7. Stefan Kurtzhals

Stefan Kurtzhals AV Expert

Reducing the size of the update packages is the only solution. The classic edition download servers blow out more than 5 terra byte on a day - that is simply too much.

Also Wildman, there is no whitewash. No one denied there is a server problem and no one said it is completely resolved. It got alot better with the incremental VDF updating now. Yesterday there were only 4 hours when all download servers were at 100% load - instead of having only 4 hours a day with less than 100% load.

8. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Make a simple calculation of bandwidth usage.
    Take "just" 100.000 users and multiply that with 1,5 MB update size.
    You'll get thats far far faaaaar over 100.000 MB of bandwidth (far more than 100Mbit). Now take more users, because i'm sure there is more AntiVir users and you get the picture of massive overhead. Now take updates that are just 100KB in size. Result for 100.000 users is almost 10.000 MB. Thats just 10GB.
    10x the improvement of big cumulative updates in old AntiVir. And lets don't forget updates aren't always 100KB, they can be even small as 20KB... You can take 100.000 as if they are updating at the very same moment. It's much less but still not small. It's not so easy to deal with such unimagineable amounts of bandwidth and connections.

9. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Wildman's sheathed his sword. Let sleeping dogs lie fellas;) .

10. wildman

:) Thanks Hammer, at least they are talking about it. The Wildman goes on to be wild in other areas.

Thanks
    Wildman
    :D :eek:

11. wildman

o_O Simple question Stefan. Why is it that AntiVir/Classic of all the "free" virus protection programs is the only one who appears to consistently have problems in this area, and why hasn't it been resolved long before this?

Thanks
    Wildman
    :blink: :eek:

12. waters

waters Registered Member

The gripes about updates have surely gone on long enough.Stefan Kurtzhals has tried to explain but the same old replys are allowed to keep going.Even implying that he is a liar.Nothing is allowed to be discussed about antivir without this coming into the thread.I dont like some other antivirus but i move to another,not post this same things over and over,in this and other forums.

13. wildman

:) Believe it or not, I agree with you it has gone on way way to long, and that has been my point. I told you I was putting away the sword, so don't give me an excuse to bring it back out.

Thanks
    Wildman
    :eek: :blink:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.