AntiVir Incremental VDF-Update Beta

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by iwod, Aug 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Ok,your dialup really works crappy. I belive you meant 2,9 kilobytes/s and not 2,9 bytes/s. But still,this is way too slow. Peak performance of regular modem is 7KB/s. I was getting around 4-5KB/s, sometimes even over 6KB/s.
    With Download Accelerators i got around 6-7KB/s (usually rather 6 than 7 but anyway). Don't know how dialup works elsewhere but your speed is really really slow. But now i'm happily using 128 KB/s downstream (ADSL) :)

2. waters

waters Registered Member

Just accept it is free.Tough if you have dial up and have to go with avg.It is a good free antivirus that offers very good protection for broadband users,my updates take about 20 seconds.I dont think the update procedure is their priority,more their protection,which is why it protects better than avg.

3. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

If you have problems making contact with the servers your protection can be lacking. If the update procedure is not their priority then they should re-evaluate their priorities. However they appear to be making a start in this direction with the incrimental updates.By the way AVG just got a Standard rating at AV-Comparatives so it's improving. Good luck with it Wildman.

4. wildman

wildman Registered Member

:eek: Again thanks all: As I have told before "due to my very limited income situation" I am compelled to utilize "freeware". I have used AVG in the past, and all though it is larger than AntiVir, I find that it has not adversely effected the response of my machine. RejZor: I find your comments about my down load speed very interesting because I have never ever been able to get it past 4.0. Does anyone here in the U.S.A. (Southern California) have any input. I have been with my I.S.P for quiet a few years now and I think he is one of the best in this category. My Star Downloader says the maximum for dial-up down load speed is 4.0 also.

I know most will not believe it, but I am sad that H+BEDV can not seem to get it together with the server(s). This program has a lot of potential and is a perfect size for those with older machines and limited memory capacity, but not being able to keep it updated makes all of this irrelevant.

Thanks
    Wildman
    :rolleyes: :eek: :D :p ;) :)

5. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

My dialup is usally never lower than 5KB/s nor higher than 6KB/s on downloads. I live in the wilderness with no options except satellite.

6. wildman

:D I just downloaded the update for AVG "free", and it took less than 10 seconds from start to finish to accomplish (manual updating). Remember this one is also located in Europe also. The time here is now 9:30 A.M. (West coast of the U.S.A.).

Thanks
    Wildman
    :rolleyes: :eek: :p

7. wildman

:rolleyes: I notice that AntiVir/Classic is having trouble with it's latest release. Apparently individuals are having a time of it trying to download.

Really isn't it time to say good bye to this program? H+BEDV has over and over again clearly demonstrated that it is unable to get it's act together. Is this program really worth all of the hassle?

Thanks
    Wildman
    o_O

Last edited: Sep 23, 2005
  8. minacross

minacross Registered Member

I'm afraid it's :rolleyes: :doubt: :'(

9. wildman

:rolleyes: A very interesting post on the AntiVir BB (English section). In my opinion it sheds some very necessary light about H+BEDV (the company behind AntiVir).

Thanks
    Wildman
    :) :eek:

10. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Topic?

11. wildman

:) www.free-av.de

AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic 98/ME

So long good bye and good luck.

Thanks
    Wildman
    :eek:

12. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I hate that forum in relation to everything... :mad:

13. wildman

:) Seeing as how there are now post out here for options for individuals with older machines and limited memory capabilities, and AVG appears to be doing just fine on my machine, I guess I will back off on the post about AntiVir. I still think the company behind AntiVir sucks though, and I have my doubts if they will ever get their act together.

Thanks
    Wildman
    :eek: :D :cool:

14. wildman

:) If one is going to utilize AntiVir, which I suggest against, however the better forum, from their own is.

www.castlecops.com

Thanks
    Wildman

15. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Hey wildman. Was that you that posted on Castlecops?

16. wildman

:rolleyes: After an excessively long period of time, AntiVir states that the next version update will have the incremental capability. Now while this does nothing to change my opinion of H+BEDV (the company behind AntiVir), I sincerely hope this resolves the hassle of trying to maintain this product. While I do not intend to use this product, and will stick with the one I am currently using, I wish those of you who use AntiVir, good luck.

For the English speaking audience the previous post indicates the much better forum for AntiVir.

Thanks
    Wildman

17. wildman

:) Yes it was me, and I would have until I learned that Castle Cops had offered a solution to the update problem that H+BEDV didn't even acknowledge. This fact royally pi**ed me off, and I was then bent on a one man war. That is why I say my opinion of H+BEDV remains about the same, but I will now call a truce, unless this incremental stuff proves to be a smoke screen.

Thanks
    Wildman

18. Zhen-Xjell

Zhen-Xjell Security Expert

I think the important thing here is to focus on how to make the community better. Sometimes it takes proof and time for others to see the benefits of an idea or an implementation. It may just be that some prefer to crawl, then walk, and then run.

19. wildman

:) Yup, but when the emperor is wearing no clothes, some one needs to say so, even though he/she may not want to hear it, and threatens to have your head chopped off.

Thanks
    Wildman

20. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Now we have incrimental VDF's and now we'd like to see the auto update process to be avaialble without need for second icon or handling it over Windows Taks Manager. Just to be a nice and silent auto updater like avast!,KAV and NOD32 have.

21. wildman

:rolleyes: Well at long last. I refer you back to post #7 in this thread. Even though I don't think much of H+BEDV, I still do wish good luck to all of you who continue to use the product for whatever reason. I for one no longer do so.

Thanks
    Wildman

22. wildman

:rolleyes: Once again an otherwise good product is being mismanaged. Even though AntiVir/classic now has supposed incremental updating, it would appear that it is still difficult for those outside of Germany and perhaps Europe to contact the server(s) to obtain the VDF updates. Apparently H+BED (the company behind AntiVir), will not allow the VDF updates to be on any other site than it's own, although the offer has been extended to them more than once. Nope the situation has not been resolved, and it would look like it perhaps never will be. I guess it's let the Germans and those in Europe have their fill and then the rest of the world can settle for the crumbs so to speak.

Thanks
    Wildman
    o_O :(

23. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Incremental updating is indeed in effect, & works wonderfully. The updates run to ~8K & (on broadband) download faster than the blinking of an eye. Even on dial-up, signature updates should take less than a minute. Life is gooooood! :D

There were already ga-zillions of AVPE-free users throughout the world and, now that it has incremental updating, IMO many dial-up users are now signing up. Ergo, the busy free server will remain busy.

I have never had server-access problems because I make it a point to download updates during 1AM-5AM Germany time. Using this window, access is very fast. As to how AVPE stacks up against the other freebies, I commend you to visit AV-Comparatives & see for yourself.

24. wildman

:eek: Then why does H+BEDV not consent to allowing the VDF updates to be obtainable from any other site besides it's own? Why don't you make the offer to them for your site and see what happens! Who the he** wants to be down loading the VDF updates in the middle of the night? No it looks like if you live in Germany or Europe you may not have a problem, the rest of the world still has to play their silly game. Thanks but no thanks!

Thanks
    Wildman
    :rolleyes:

25. Stefan Kurtzhals

Stefan Kurtzhals AV Expert

After a big program change, the download servers are on heavy load for 2-3 weeks. After all users switched to the incremental version, the server will be more accessible because the download slots will recycle faster.
    There will be a release soon that has single file update and don't require the entire setup executable to be transfered.
    AVREP.DLL will be restructured aswell, minimizing it's size and utilizing the VDF with the incremental abilities.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.