Wow! Look at WSA at AV-Test

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by trjam, Mar 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Congrats to Webroot. Here

2. Narxis

Narxis Registered Member

Very interesting test.

3. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

Very good :thumb: and congratulations to Joe and the team! They're definitely getting there! And with just one FP also! Wonder what particular build was used in this test?
    Thanks trjam :thumb:

4. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

WSA is simply awesome :thumb:....gonna rock the the tests in the upcoming months and years.......

5. STV0726

STV0726 Registered Member

I am so excited. I posted it in the Prevx forum mistakenly too but I think this is big enough where we can let that slide. ;)

This is such a HUGE improvement in such a SMALL period of time.

It's like every week they make a milestone. I love this company. Webroot is taking it beyond proactive and comprehensive. Those words have been used before. They are becoming one of the first and only true PROGRESSIVE Internet security companies!

6. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

A little perspective; there are still 8 products as high or higher than WSA in Protection in this test.

And let's see it tested on a number of other sites before we declare it "King of the Hill". Improving yes.

PS I am running WSA.

7. clocks

clocks Registered Member

What he said.

WSAs results were solid, but not extraordinary. It's big claim to fame is supposed to be it's lightness on the system, yet it was beat by the venerable AVG free in that regard.

8. trjam

trjam Registered Member

this isnt about competition with other products, but more about the, now factual, improvement in WSA and its detection ability. This shows, what Joe has been saying, and folks like me have been doubting.

No, it doesnt make WSA hte worlds greatest, it isnt suppose to. But it does show, as I am hoping AV-C will also, that WSA is becoming one heck of a piece of software.

9. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

+1 .....I completely agree :thumb:......

10. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Prevx has mostly been one of the better programs in terms of protection, so I don't expect anything less from WSA. Hopefully they continue to improve.

11. Nevis

Nevis Registered Member

I a more surprised at McAfee scoring 5 in Detection this time :D

12. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

The real congrats as always on AV-Test go to Bitdefender. Only one of 2011 tests did not show a 6.0 on detection and that was 5.5. Why they are AV-Test's product of the year and got the top detection award from AV-C I suppose. F-Secure and Bullgaurd there or there abouts no doubt helped by the Bitdefender signatures they use.

Kaspersky solid as a rock as usual.

As for WSA, delighted it is improving on the only real weak area noted so far in its admitedly short life. A word of caution though - one swallow does not a summer make. Encouraging signs though for some very commited people who have produced something quite remarkable by providing a product of such scope in such a small package.

Challenge laid down to the big boys - security no longer needs 800 MB of disc space or to consume so much resource. Here's hoping anyway :D

Cheers

13. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

Nice to see Symantec with 6.0 on detection.
    Panda Free doing quite well overall.
    Bitdefender and Kaspersky very consistent in their excellence.

14. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

I like these type of test more than most. Eset just keeps doing worse, and worse on these type of test. Kaspersky seems to consistently score high on these type of test, and other test from other independent sources as well. Maybe I should have switched to Kaspersky this year instead of renewing my 8 Eset license. I guess it's a good thing I use WSA with NOD 32. Eset seems to have gone from the days of cutting edge to rusted edge lol Congrats to Webroot though! :thumb: I believe WSA will just keep getting better over time.

15. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

How much time for the free version [ aka the prevx facebook version ] ?

16. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

There was a talk either at last Christmas or last New Years Eve... We're near April 2012. Still nothing.

But, soon is a word that, for Prevx/Webroot, may not have the same meaning it has for everyone else. :D

17. trjam

trjam Registered Member

better late and stable, then early and cruddy.;)

18. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Eset is really taking a beating. They have got to figure this out for survival.

19. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

Hope so it comes out soon
    Good to have an added layer

20. Esse

Esse Registered Member

Anyone know why Emsisoft is not represented?
    Would be nice to see them in this test as the do well in other tests.

Cheers

/E

21. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

Thanks for the compliments everyone! If you look at the underlying data you'll see just how strong it is: http://www.av-test.org/no_cache/en/tests/test-reports/test-reports/?tx_avtestreports_pi1[report_no]=120525

The only reason why we aren't even better is because of the 1% dip in January. February shows a definite improvement, and I expect this to continue going up significantly. The cleanup/repair score will also be dramatically improved moving forward as we continue to improve our cleanup engine.

Thanks again! :thumb:

22. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

No progress has been made with their malware cleaning. It's still awful.
    I don't see them leveraging their HIPS into better detection.
    It just hasn't happened.

23. STV0726

STV0726 Registered Member

I shall risk coming off as a fanboy in an attempt to defend WSA's scores as remarkable...

Webroot SecureAnywhere:

* Showed a HUGE improvement margin in such a short time.

* They scored great on the "slow-down", but even more impressive is the RAM usage which isn't tested. No other product on that list uses just 18mb of RAM.

* I doubt many of the products on that list offer heuristic options as granular as WSA. If all set to max, the detection will go up. And I've had this configuration for years with Prevx too and experienced very few false positives.

* I'm 99% certain no other product on that list will connect to your computer for free and fix any failure on their part. Not to keep harping on that, but it's important to keep in mind.

With that being all said...

Yes, I have also stated consistency is key. Let's see how they continue to do through mid-2012, and then by the year in review.

I just find it worth noting that all known-reputable, valid, and relevant testing bodies that have reviewed WSA have now said fantastic things about it.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  24. sportsfan7700

sportsfan7700 Registered Member

Fort Worth, Texas USA "Where the West Begins"
    I'm trialing this and am impressed! My PC is only an Intel Pentium R with 2 gigs, 500 gb hard drive. Makes it run like new!

25. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

agree about eset. i really like the product and use it on many machines but man they keep getting worse and worse every year in tests like this, though i can say in day to day use it does protect very well, i have seen it do its job many times and do it well.

avast has greatly improved in this test over the last year for sure. though one thing makes be a bit skeptical is look at how well norman did. i have tested norman personally and it failed miserably for me. not sure how it got the score it did and it def was a system hog and they say its not.

webroot is a great program and i use it on some systems but i have to say i find it a bit overprotective at times which is why i dont use norton. i have a lot of legit files that norton's thinks or flags as bad and i have seen this with webroot ill have to give it a go again now if this has been improved on.

everyone else seems about average as they normally are...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.