AV Comparatives - August 2007 report

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Escalader, Aug 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Re: AV Comparatives is Almost Due

Drama:

My AV did not get an advanced+ so I am going to jump off a cliff and land on the rocks by the edge of the Pacific ocean. Never mind that I live in Texas and the Pacific is 1100 miles away and there are no cliffs.

Lets get with it, so you spent $25 or $40 an av and it gets a weak report card. So what? Its chump change, try something else. Its not like you have 2000 workstations set up with it.

Remember what the man says, once you hit 97%, consider the other factors.

-Diver, presently hiding in Austin Texas, for a few days, at least.

2. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

Avg free advanced Love it!!!!!!! :D :D :D Back to ye olle faithful !

3. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Exactly...

Even if that's not chump change, there are decent free options (either general or offered by your provider), and that's about as chump as you can get.

IMHO, that constraint can be relaxed a bit. Even the standard ranked ones are fine for most. Couple one of those with free virtualization/sandboxing, and realistically you have very solid coverage. Are you less covered than if you use a 99+% option? Sure, but is that difference more akin to no insurance vs million dollar insurance or to million dollar insurance vs. two million dollar insurance? My experience says it's closer to the latter, i.e. in the vast majority of cases you'll simply never see the difference.

Blue

Last edited: Sep 1, 2007
  4. randomness

randomness Registered Member

Well, personally (based primarily on my own experience) I can make an approximate conclusion about which free av product performs the best (in terms of detection rates), however I think the majority of people who use (or planning to use) free av products would rather believe such established and detailed test site as Av-comparatives instead of my personal undocumented experience. :D

5. Abeltje

Abeltje Registered Member

About Dr Web - why is it that new "technology" should add so much more detection? I mean I don't know what the improvements are, but what can they do? Improve unpacking mechanism and heuristics? Even with Esets outstanding heuristics you can only reach 70% detection rate. But if you want to get like 97% rate in on-demand test you first of all need signatures, don't you? If a company doesn't add them, how are they supposed to improve? Just look at the missed samples from the last test, they are for great parts still undetected!

6. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

No. This one tested was AVG Anti-Malware (AVG + former Ewido).
    AVG Free lacks spyware detection and Ewido part of the equasion. So i doubt AVG Free would get an A+...

7. vlk

vlk AV Expert

Not true.

AVG Free has exactly the same detection capabilities as AVG Pro. The difference is between AVG Pro and AVG AM.

Cheers
    Vlk

8. Sportscubs1272

Sportscubs1272 Registered Member

I like using Sandboxie while playing on the web and I can safely delete the files after I'm done. I like using the free Threatfire and Comodo Firewall too!

Is there a post that explains the % difference between Avira Classic and Premium? I'm just curious how many anti-spyware samples they include in the study!

9. Joe_Jones

Joe_Jones Registered Member

Trjam wrote:

Not true, you 'forget' the best, the number 1 : Trustport Workstation. Why is that?
    Please read again, or read from the correct website.
    Here we are talking about www.av-comparatives.org and what has happened in Aug 2007

I know that people don't want to see this but in the TOP 3 are:

Trustport Workstation
    Avira / AntiVir
    Gdata

Last edited: Sep 1, 2007
  10. IBK

IBK AV Expert

@lucas1985: i do not know, but should be only few.
    avast free and antivir free would score like the paid versions in this test. AVG free/pro would score probably around i guess 93%, but as i have not tested it, i can not say for sure.

11. Joe_Jones

Joe_Jones Registered Member

Even GDATA (#3) found 4147 malware samples more then Norton (#4)
    of course the difference with the others in the top3 and Kaspersky etc. is even greater.

12. Sportscubs1272

Sportscubs1272 Registered Member

Trustport Workstation just for businesses? I have never heard of them before.

That's good news that Antivir free and Antivir Premium have the same results. I have enjoyed using the paid version, but sometimes the false positives can be a little annoying! It flagged both Haute Secure and Comodo Memory Guardian as malware (HEUR/Crypted).

13. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Again Dr Web, compared to the other vendors, was very slow in adding the missed samples from previous tests.

Contrast this with McAfee, whose analysts added over 40,000 samples.

14. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Grisoft does not claim PUP detection for the free version. I think it is made pretty clear in Grisoft's website and manuals that AVG Pro detects PUPs while AVG Free does not.

For this test (AV-comparatives), sure, most likely AVG Free and Pro are going to score similarly, but AVG Pro offers more real-life protection....

15. Stefan Kurtzhals

Stefan Kurtzhals AV Expert

Can't reproduce the false positive on Haute Secure. The file reported in the Comodo Memory Guardian directory is a test file to trigger the detection of the Memory Guardian. I guess it's ok when we report it aswell. ;-)

16. risl

risl Registered Member

IBK, you should be able to see the amount of avast virus records from enhanced gui "virus information" .. "There are 120781 matching viruses in current VPS file" in the latest update.

17. Oldjim

Oldjim Registered Member

Having read this I looked back at the previous On Demand Comparatives and it is noticeable that ESET only add the majority of the missed signatures in the month before the next On Demand Test.
    I wonder if this is part of the reason why other tests at different times give worse results

18. IBK

IBK AV Expert

no thats not the reason, as the other test was done on 10th august.

19. i_g

i_g Registered Member

This number doesn't really mean anything... there are hundreds of thousands of avast! detection (*-gen) that are not shown/counted there.

20. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Very good work, IBK! ;) :thumb:

AntiVir is doing an excellent work on the last few years, and we can see that on the best AV tests out there... :D

Kaspersky as always...

AVG Anti-Malware is a good surprise :)

NOD32 recover their Advance + award, but one year ago I expected more from this AV for now...

Almost 2 years that I hear that avast! is improving its submitting samples process, but seems that they are very slow on that process compared with another AV companies... :(

This test also show that some AV's didn't "nothing" to improve their detection of polymorphic viruses, and than we can conclude the poor quality of their scan engines to detect complex malware... :thumbd:

21. Culvin

Culvin Registered Member

But Antivir free doesn't have spyware or adware detection, correct? That's what their website says. So I would have expected that its free version would score less (like AVG), and that only Avast has the same detection in their free scanner as their paid one.

22. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

AVG quite a nice pickup advanced +...Nod32 gets back to where it belongs...good going Nod32...

23. tawd1992

tawd1992 Registered Member

Thanks for the clarification & the great work you do @AV Comparatives.

24. wildvirus88

wildvirus88 Registered Member

Sorry, but Norton detecting more than 80% can't be real. This big **it better than Kaspersky, NOD32 and many other AV is NOT possible in the Earth. It's a big nonsense.

25. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Antivir free has spyware detection just not quite as much as Personal Edition Premium. I can't tell any difference between them in detection. The main difference, and it a huge one, is in the ease of updating.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.