Zuess Botnet attack and sandboxie

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by owen35ny, Feb 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. owen35ny

owen35ny Registered Member

I have sandboxie installed but I'm so confident in Avira and SAS that I don;t normally use it. Now I heard about this zuess botnet attack and I'm shocked. It sounds like there are undetectable trojans out there.

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Candidly, I go the opposite way. Use sandboxie and forget the scanning stuff.

3. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

Also go to sandboxie settings and have it so ONLY your browser has Internet accesses and the ability to run.

4. optigrab

optigrab Registered Member

Yes, there are! No single means of defense is infallable to current ITW malware! Took a break from work earlier this week to look at some online real estate listings. Had several browser windows open, mostly small, amateurish real estate agency sites. Sure enough, caught a virus (a Zbot/FraudPack fake AntiVirus variant). Sailed right by Norton, prevented Task Manager and Process Explorer from running, and created a proxy to prevent use of the internet. Ran a full Norton scan in safe mode (all file extensions), to no avail - Norton didn't find it. Took my laptop home, and ran Avira from Live CD. Avira identified the virus components, which I manually cleaned.

My point is not to bash Norton or praise Avira - the story could also have played out in the opposite way. My point is that at the time I had Sandboxie installed on my laptop, but unused. :oops: Could have spared me a considerable amount of time wasted to identify and eradicate the virus.

As of yesterday, I've rigged all nearly all browser icons to lauch via Sandboxie. I keep one shortcut (through the Start Menu) for non-Sandboxed browsing.

5. ratwing

ratwing Guest

optigrab said:

"As of yesterday, I've rigged all nearly all browser icons to lauch via Sandboxie. I keep one shortcut (through the Start Menu) for non-Sandboxed browsing."

Once I did the same thing sandboxed browsing
    became habitual,because I could no longer forget!!
    No Non-Sandboxed browser icons on the desktop!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.