ZoneAlarm - which version?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by LockBox, Apr 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

This is from ZAAV on Vista. It will allow you to change it; however, it will not allow it to be changed without you doing it.

Attached Files:

2. jrx10

jrx10 Registered Member

I haven't used ZAfree in around forever, I guess. That's when I started reading about SW FWs & I found Comodo and subsequently the OA firewall. I don't know much about the technical end, but imho, Comodo 3.0, (or even their 2.4), and OAfree are light years ahead of ZAfree, unless it's been updated in the last several years to a more effective FW. Just to give you an example (and what made me glad I had changed), I was on the phone with a major SW manufacturer's CSR about the extraordinary amount of outbounds that their SW was generating, and the CSR was digging me for what software I was using to detect these outbounds. I told him ZAfree, although I had changed FWs a couple of months before, and his instantaneous quip was "oh, we don't worry about ZAfree". That settled it for me. Just curious, can you even implement your own network rule IP/port/protocol block/allow rules in ZAfree? I can't remember.

3. AKAJohnDoe

I would not use ZoneAlarm free, Comodo Free, nor OA Free

4. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

Any reasons? Or alternatives? I don't use any of them either, but just wondering why you wouldn't.

5. AKAJohnDoe

ZoneAlarm Free - Does not have Program Control
    Comodo Free - Multiple bad experiences
    Online Armor Free - Not Vista compatible

6. computer geek

computer geek Registered Member

I would use comodo, since its HIPS and firewall seem quite advanced considering zonealarms drag on my computer

7. AKAJohnDoe

Although the OP specifically asked about ZA versions.

8. Jon_T

Jon_T Registered Member

Interesting, how so?

Per the ZoneAlarm Products Comparison, ZA AS has the same firewall features as ZA Pro. Providing that one is using Win XP/2000, would appear that ZA AS would be the leanest ZA firewall.

Been a long time ZA user, since v2.0 first released. However I staid with ZA Pro v5.5.094.000, being all I want is a firewall. For me, ZA Pro 6.x and 7.x versions have too much non-firewall features/bloat.:gack:

9. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

After version 5, Zone Alarm started to get much bigger. I have used version 6.1.744.001 for many years without any issues. You cannot update the earlier version to a later version unless you do a complete replacement with the new version. In other words, you can't add an update file to correct a bug in the program. You have to install the entire new version and replace the previous one (excess baggage and all).

10. AKAJohnDoe

Is there a point to this?

11. fax

fax Registered Member

Are you sure? Of course, many will suggest to remove ZA and install the new version, however it is possible to upgrade from 6.5 to 7, never tried 6.1 to 7 but it should work indeed.

Cheers,
    Fax

12. Fly

Fly Registered Member

What about the latest version of Zonealarm Pro ?

I understand it's the complete firewall with some other things, and you can't get that complete firewall without the 'extras' ?

I have windows xp home edition, 512 MB RAM, AMD Athlon XP 2800+ 2.08 Ghz.

How much does it tax the resources of the computer ?

That can be measured in different ways, one of the things I hate about McAfee is that I get CPU cycles up to 100 % for several minutes at startup.

Does the firewall filter a wireless connection, in other words, won't the wireless connection bypass the firewall ?

McAfee's privacy policy is terrible, how is Zonealarm's ?

13. Togg

Togg Registered Member

If the tests carried out by Matousec have any credibility, ZA Pro only merits a 'Good' rating while the free version isn't mentioned at all; http://www.matousec.com/projects/firewall-challenge/results.php

I used to have ZA Pro when I had '98, and I am currently using Comodo Pro with XP Home. I read somewhere that Comodo was only an average performer unless Defense+ was enabled, but I have no idea if that is an accurate assessment.

I have also read that Comodo can be hard to uninstall but I haven't tried it yet!

14. fax

fax Registered Member

As usual each of us have different experiences and different data to provide.... 512MB is not much, if your startup is very much populated than you may have problems... [Here: the firewall driver is around 13-15MB, GUI, 7-6MB]

Well, the best is to try it. It may not like your system or it may run just fine.

Yes, it filters wireless connection. Most respectable firewalls will do nowadays.

If you are concerned about privacy you should disable all communication within the firewall. If you disable communications (e.g. central database, updates, etc) you will just not use 70% of the features in ZA. Either you trust the security software you use (your first line of defense) or better you pass on and choose something you are confident with.

Cheers,
    Fax

15. AKAJohnDoe

You were planing on saving those cycles for use at a later time, perhaps?

o_O

16. Fly

Fly Registered Member

It's inconvenient, it means I have to wait till I can properly use the computer.

Sometimes the fastest way to be done with it is forcing a manual update. Although that does not cover all McAfee activity.

17. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

I was only responding to the OP question regarding updating of a firewall program in general. I don't know of any situation where you can update any firewall program by adding a new file (or add-on) to it to make it "updated" as a later version of that program.

18. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

I am not 100% sure since I haven't installed and updated many firewall programs or programs in general. Yes, you can upgrade from 6.5 to 7 as many did who use ZA. I was responding to what I thought was the question regarding being able to update a program WITHOUT going to the next version which is what the first question was alluding to. For example, I want to use Outpost 1.0 and I ALSO want all of the bug fixes up through the current version. Can I do that? I don't think Outpost provides that capability. They will tell you to either to upgrade sequentially through each version (1.0 to the lastest) or go directly and install the latest right away.

19. wigwam

wigwam Registered Member

I note a few comments about bloat after version 5.5
    any reason then not to just use ZAPro 5.5?

20. rotterdarned

rotterdarned Registered Member

For the extra ten bucks, why not go with ZASS - Zone Alarm Internet Security Suite? The Kaspersky anti-virus Check Point licenses is one of the best on earth and is well worth the ten bucks above Zone Alarm Pro.

-JD

21. AKAJohnDoe

ZoneAlarm licensed Kaspersky AntiVirus and uses it in V7.

The ZA suite has a number of facilities and features that are not yet implemented in the Vista version. OK if you are running XP, though. The free ZA does not have the outgoing program control panel. This is why I run ZAAV on Vista.

22. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

Yea I had some major issues at startup too. But then again my computer is v slow when running vista.

I wish Kaspersky would update their SDK for their partners.

23. AKAJohnDoe

I have no issues with ZAAV and Vista

24. wigwam

wigwam Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.