ZoneAlarm "Tweaking"

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by eniqmah, Nov 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eniqmah

eniqmah Registered Member

Hello folks.
    Would any one know how to tweak Zonealarm for maximum loading time? On my system, ZA is always the last to load and, seems to me, is the one that takes the longest to load. I would like to know if I uninstall the antispyware module that it would help? Moreover, I only use web-based email, so the email protection module is also useless to me. This is the one application that I've not really tweaked. Thanks for your inputs.

2. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Yeah i disable most of the features of ZA and use it purely as a firewall, this seems to help speed it up a bit.

3. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Have done the same as stated by Farmerlee. Have even gone as far as using an older vers. without the bells and whistles on my lap top. Side note: Even though the UI is slow to load, Vsmon loads early upon boot. So if your settings are correct (default for Vsmon) then you are still protected. I know it is not what was asked. Just an interesting tid-bit of info. I picked-up while doing some reading about the same topic the OP brought up.

4. eniqmah

eniqmah Registered Member

Hi,
    Yes. vsmon loads first before other apps. I accidentally figured this out while running bootvis. I have done as suggested. Shaved off a couple seconds on load time. Coincidentally, I've noticed that if I clean up the program control entries, my system can become unstable. Does any one experience this?

5. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Never had a problem here. Used to do it pretty often. My tower is not to bad, but the Wifes` gets really full with "temp" entries from all the playing she dose. It can drive you nuts. o_O

6. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I think this slow loading might be related to how many "Program Rules" you have, the more the slower. I´m not sure if that´s the reason, but ZA Pro is loading a lot quicker on my virtual machine. Perhaps I should als upgrade to the newest version.

Btw, you still can not tune or complete disable the OS Firewall (HIPS) without having to set "Program Control" in "low mode", right?

7. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

If you uninstall it and get stand alone AV and AS programs and install COMODO, you'll think you have a new computer.:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.