ZoneAlarm treated as Malware?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Gershwin, Jul 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gershwin

Gershwin Registered Member

After a recent MS Update broke ZoneAlarm Firewalls, I tried to d/l the Checkpoint update (issued last week) that responds to this issue for my version - ZoneAlarm Free. However, NOD32 V. 2.7 sees this as "a variant of Win32/AdInstaller application" and promptly quarantines it.

Disabling NOD32 allowed me to complete the download and copy it to a USB drive.

Perhaps the update team could correct the DAT file.

Jon

2. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

It's because of it's toolbar.

3. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hello Jon,

There's actually nothing to "correct" and as alluded to by emperordarius, it's because of it's toolbar. The toolbar being the ZoneAlarm toolbar that's pre-selected in the setup file. Nod is alerting you to a Potentially unsafe application.

You could consider temporarily un-checking Potentially unsafe application as shown in the tutorial, when ever the need arises.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2008
  4. Gershwin

Thanks for your reply, emporerdarius. However, I would think that the team should be able to differentiate between the triggering elements in benign and malware applications...

I don't believe that the Coporate McAfee or Avast 4.8 have this problem.

Jon

5. Gershwin

OK, Bubba, I thank you for the explanation and verified that I can move the file from the quarantine to the target destination.

Sadly, the link failed to open, but I'm sure I'll be able to follow the issue now that I am aware of it.

Thanks again.

Jon

6. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

You are Welcome Jon and let us knw how it goes if you have further issues with this.

7. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

Prey tell what toolbar you speak of? something in ZA new version?
    I don't want any toolbars I don't need.

Edited - oh, I see, that thing (ZDnet article) - ok, so that's no issue, just disable the option during ZA installation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.