ZoneAlarm Pro 70_337_000

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by ankupan, Apr 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

The user will survive without the vendor, can the vendor survive without a user?(unless there is only one vendor)
    Who is most important can be lost, I do see as I believe, the members of this forum, to me, are more important than any vendor.

2. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Welcome back Stem.

Special thanks to Blue for the help here and clarifying that there can be 2 perfectly valid views on a subject.

I'm rejoining learning thread,on to "How to Optimize Settings in ZA Pro?"

I will folllow Blues and Stems wisdom there and hope others will do the same.

"I'm fine with someone else following a different path. It's not about hindering or being suspicious. It's about control and the granularity of the control that the user desires." Blue

"The user will survive without the vendor, can the vendor survive without a user? (unless there is only one vendor) Who is most important can be lost, I do see as I believe, the members of this forum, to me, are more important than any vendor." Stem

For myself I've NOT concluded that my user and customer needs cannot be met by ZA Pro. Had I concluded that I would not invest time in tweaking it and learning how to optimize it. Hitting a few puzzles along the way makes it interesting.

Learnings from that thread may provide feedback for the original poster here.

But I will not be bouncing back and forth. I will record my learnings and feedback for this thread off line. When the work is completed anyone who wants it can have it. From my pov that work can take as long as it takes there is no deadline in my mind.

3. Berge01

Berge01 Guest

Since a handful of people are constantly stating that in this thread on how I should run my firewall, so it will perform correctly. Plus, if I don't like the product I should find another one. Okay, I don't want to get into a verbal fight, which will be in ToS Guidelines Violation, as I am only trying to find answers to my questions, without the accusations of thinking that ZA is doing something wrong. First of all, what I do with my firewall is my business, as I WILL set it up to run the way I WANT it to run. Second, I DID NOT say that I was unhappy with the vendor product in any of my postings.

My question still stands, why is the firewall trying to call out to sites that are not related to updating, etc. of the product?
    GoDaddy is the web host, NOT Abovenet Communications. I also have attempted connections to the following IP Addresses that I have researched and found to very interesting to me, maybe not for you as you may know the answer. I don't know, that is why I am here to find out. Here are the IP Addresses and what I have found on them.

67.27.222.151 Level 3 Communications AKA MarkMonitor.com

194.29.32.199 Checkpoint Software Technologies Country: IL

216.228.148.29 NS8.CHECKPOINT.COM Irving State: TX

Okay, a little help here, on what these connections maybe related to?

4. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

I'm really not sure what you're asking here. You have an IP addressed assigned to an enterprise level provider and two IP's connected to ZA's parent company. There's really on one party who can provide an unambiguous answer as to why those particular contacts are made without a detailed examination of the communications going on between them (even then, you're not assured of an answer), and that is to ask the vendor.

Blue

5. Escalader

Speaking of updating I have a question about installing ZA.

Should all ZA users complete a new install on upgrades or just
    download the new version on top of the old version?

Thanks

6. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

I haven't kept up on the newer versions of ZA the last few years but installing over the top caused a lot of folks grief in the past. This is going back sometime and i'm curious if this is still the case. When i was updating ZA then i would always do a fresh install just in case.

snowbound

Last edited: May 19, 2007
  7. Steelhead

Steelhead Guest

YES, i highly agree with snowbound. If you want to get Zone Alarm working with no problems, you will need to remove all the old registry files/keys, etc. Then use CCleaner to make sure all the old files are gone from your computer. It may be a real pain, but the ending results will be worth it.

8. Escalader

Steel and Snowbound if it is not too much could you provide what your set up are (see my config of software and H/W) in the signature. ?

I know some members don't do it but it saves time and saying maybe you have this or that conflict.

Steel do you still use ZA FW at all now? or old version?:D

9. Escalader

The OP asked for feedback on ZA Pro. Here is a question for other ZA pro users here. Does anybody else get this symptom? Run latest CCleaner and let me know if you get it as well?

What is the ZA Mailsafe Default Icon?

When running CCleaner it defines it as an "issue" and suggests deleting the registry key. Did that each day, but it seems to return after routine updates to product.

Is this a ZA Pro bug?

10. Cold Pizza

Cold Pizza Guest

I have the same issue as what you described. It could be a bug. Best bet would be to contact their tech support for an answer or go over to their forum to see if anyone had problems. Myself i will leave it alone, until it gets on my nerves, then i will remove it from the entire program. It could be a simple registry key that needs to be changed.

11. Escalader

Hi Cold, I see you are new?

Good idea on the forum do you use same id there?

I just ran CCleaner again and it popped up again! So this is bugging me. I could be a bug but whose? CCleaners or ZA's?

The register indicates it as an executable named

updclient.exe,-279 does that give you any clues? I opened up the binary saw some interesting stuff. Have a look at yours.

12. Cold Pizza

Cold Pizza Guest

Yes, i am new here. NO, i am NOT a member of that other forum, just looked around to see what the other people were having issues with their firewall, etc.
    Wasn't ALL to happy how the members were treated by some of the Guru's, but that is a different forum, so i will drop this discussion about it.
    In reference to your inquiry about a possible bug in either CCleaner or ZA. Looking at that updclient.exe, i believe it belongs to the updating of ZA, but i could be wrong. I will check it out, and if i find anything more, will post back.

13. dwax

dwax Registered Member

I think everyone has different problems. I never uninstall the old version,I stop ZA from loading at start up and upgrade and reboot. Not once have I had any problems.

14. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

No it is not a bug (at least I don't think so!). Everytime you click the email-protection tab Zlclient.exe will set a value on the following Key:-

HKLM\Software\Classes\Zamailsafe\Defaulticon

and every hour, when an auto-update occurs, Updclient.exe will also set a value on the same Key. If you run a Reg cleaner after one of these events, it will find the Key and clean it 'cos the path no longer exists. You get a lot of this sort of thing if a Reg cleaner is set to look at 'transient' positions that are constantly written to. The answer is not to bother to clean this sort of entry - it is pointless (though no harm will come from doing so).

Last edited: May 23, 2007
  15. Escalader

Thanks TopperID.

Thing is I don't use auto-update, preferring to use manual updates. As well, I have turned off email protection on ZA Pro in favor of BD 10 doing that job. So it looks like that choice has no impact on the updating that I don't use!

As a new test for ZA Pro. I put 1 item in MyVault it was my license # for ZA.
    I then triggered a manual update. You might expect they would want the license and they did! it was blocked as protected and then I expected the update to fail.

Wrong again, the update proceeded as if the blocked license # didn't matter!:eek:

I'm gone now!

16. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

If you do a manual update you will run Updclient.exe and the first thing that'll do is create the Defaulticon Key and set a value on it. You will then delete the Key with CCleaner and the whole thing repeats itself over and over - so there's no need to clean that Key out!

17. Escalader

No problem, I agree.

What did you think of the license # test? Can you duplicate it on your set up to make sure?

18. Escalader

To Guru Greb49er of ZA Forum:

....and speaking of cheap shots, why not worry about treating ZA members
    with more respect, instead of deleting their posts?

Escalader/ArrowPilot

19. Escalader

Try learning!

http://www.matousec.com/projects/win...ewalls-ratings

ZA is not # 1:cool:

Read the pcflank test site blocking story!:D

20. fax

fax Registered Member

Try reading... :D

Matousec did not test ZA 7 but ZA 6.1
    Only leaktests were tested against 7 and that score is still in the first three...
    and, by the way, you can't assess a firewall only based on leaktests performances ;)

Correct link: http://www.matousec.com/projects/windows-personal-firewall-analysis/results.php

Anyway, good luck with your quest for a ZA replacement :)

Cheers,
    Fax

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.