ZoneAlarm Pro 70_337_000

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by ankupan, Apr 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: I feel very sad for folks at ZA development team, they probably know by now that they have bought KAV's engine at their FACTORY OUTLET, good deal and yet not that good. Why not create their own, w/ so many bright and highly paid brains there ? Sometimes, you look, you pick but pick the recycled one. Bad luck, indeed.

2. fax

fax Registered Member

Ehm, right... if you do not trust ZA then I agree on your statement. But KAV SDK engine is the KAV SDK engine for all OEM... so no reasons to beleive that "on demand" detection is not the same... it is the same for the 3/4 AVs tested in AV_comparatives... should be the same for ZA too, as for Online ArmorAV, etc...

Yes, IBK mentioned in one of his posts that he cannot test all AVs on the market, simple because it would take too much time so there is limited space to have new AVs to be added in the test... but I would be happy to hear from him directly. :D

And, it remain to be seen how different is the cleaning capability between KAV 6 and SDK 5... Firecat can clarify that, in order to avoid any misunderstadings. As far as I can see av-comparatives concentrates on detection so even if ZA will be added to the tests, we will not know how different is from KAV 6 in cleaning capability.

I doubt there is any major difference and I would IMO give more value to detection than cleaning per se. Better to keep the malware out then clean afterwards... or to use IBK words: "Detection of the viruses is most important: if viruses are detected before they are run... they can be removed without having to clean/restore anything" (FAQ N.15)

Cheers,
    Fax

3. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

The OP was requesting on ZA Pro 70_337-000.

So my applogies for going off topic! :oops:

Just hit this link, so looks like KAV 5/6 have a short life expectancy anyway. KAV 7 beta is out. Always best to get product from original vendor anyway right?:cool:

http://www.filehippo.com/download_kaspersky_antivir/

As far as objective testing issues go, I may start another thread or contribute to it if someone else does it first.:thumb:

4. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

Not really so significant. For me the main purpose of an AV is to pick stuff up real-time as it is written to HD (or keep it out, in the case of a web-scanner). If you have 100% detection then nothing will ever get into your system that would need removing. If malware is missed and installs on your system then that is another matter and I don't think AVs are necessarily the best at cleaning machines when that happens.

5. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Regarding the cleaning thing, it is only something I heard, I cannot verify it. I was not aware that ZoneAlarm AV used its own drivers also for the cleaning process, that may turn things around I guess. :)

Anyway, the klif.sys file only relates to network protection and not for the file scanning. I have looked at logs of ZAAV and have verified that it uses KAV Workstation edition version 5.0.676 as its base.

Also, just because some product uses the Kaspersky engine doesn't guarantee that it will get the same detection rate as Kaspersky itself. There are often a few differences here and there, but it depends heavily on the test set used. IBK's test set does not show these differences, but I have personally seen some samples that were detected by Kaspersky and not by F-Secure. It couldn't really be a matter of updates because the samples in question were old ones which had been added into Kaspersky's database for around a year now.

A good example can be seen on the tests made on http://www.virus.gr. Antony Petrakis' sample set is flawed and contains many junk files, but Kaspersky is known to detect a lot of junk and corrupted samples. Now, any KAV clone should also detect the same as KAV itself as it uses the very same database (and hence theoretically detects the same junk and corrupt samples), but it is clearly seen in virus.gr that F-Secure is always some 1-3 percent behind or ahead of KAV (in one test it was ahead of KAV but the latest one shows it behind KAV). The same can be seen with MicroWorld's eScan (commercial edition), which is also some 3-4% behind KAV despite using the same database and the KAV 4.5 engine. I can't put it down to a matter of not configuring the AV as well because eScan by default comes with very stringent settings for the on-demand scanner, which you can call maximum protection. I think the same would be true for F-Secure as well.

So, there can be some differences in detection rates between KAV and clones, but it is usually not so much as to seriously threaten the protection level of the users (For example, if KAV scores 99% on the next AV-comparatives on-demand test and eScan scores 96%, then eScan will receive an "Advanced" rating only, but this doesn't mean its not going to protect you well. But IBK's test set has never shown this difference, and I have not known AV-test.org to test KAV clones other than F-Secure.)

6. fax

fax Registered Member

Thanks Firecat for this...

Just to clarify, Klif is part of the proactive protection. As part of this defense, the driver hooks and screens various system calls, such as registry functions. This is the driver that hook on the kernel... The other main driver is Kl1 (network driver) that is not functional in ZA (it is not needed).

So, it is an essential part of the KAV SDK (on access control switches) not just a network drive... yes, no influence on scanning but influence on machine capability to detect and protect the system against damage from malware.

It is interesting to note that registry entry installed by ZASS have references to Kaspersky-AVP6, so not sure how this link to your worstation 5 reference.

Of course, if you look to the update log, you get KAV 5 references, but that is just a script. I mean there is a lot of KAV6 code/files/drivers in ZASS... so I am more inclined to think that KAV SDK has been updated meanwhile...

Am I missing something? I would welcome your feeedback on this...

Thanks,
    Fax
    P.S. Just copy fyi some klif/vsdatant.sys hooks... here below

SSDT \??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\avsys\KLIF.SYS ZwClose
    SSDT \SystemRoot\System32\vsdatant.sys ZwConnectPort
    SSDT \SystemRoot\System32\vsdatant.sys ZwCreateFile
    SSDT \SystemRoot\System32\vsdatant.sys ZwCreateKey
    SSDT \SystemRoot\System32\vsdatant.sys ZwCreatePort
    SSDT \??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\avsys\KLIF.SYS ZwCreateProcess
    SSDT \??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\avsys\KLIF.SYS ZwCreateProcessEx
    SSDT \??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\avsys\KLIF.SYS ZwCreateSection
    SSDT \??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\avsys\KLIF.SYS ZwCreateSymbolicLinkObject
    SSDT \??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\avsys\KLIF.SYS ZwCreateThread
    SSDT \SystemRoot\System32\vsdatant.sys ZwCreateWaitablePort
    SSDT \SystemRoot\System32\vsdatant.sys ZwDeleteFile
    SSDT \SystemRoot\System32\vsdatant.sys ZwDeleteKey
    SSDT \SystemRoot\System32\vsdatant.sys ZwDeleteValueKey
    SSDT \??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\avsys\KLIF.SYS ZwDuplicateObject
    SSDT \SystemRoot\System32\vsdatant.sys ZwLoadDriver
    SSDT \SystemRoot\System32\vsdatant.sys ZwLoadKey
    SSDT \SystemRoot\System32\vsdatant.sys ZwMapViewOfSection
    SSDT \SystemRoot\System32\vsdatant.sys ZwOpenFile
    SSDT \??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\avsys\KLIF.SYS ZwOpenProcess
    SSDT \??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\avsys\KLIF.SYS ZwOpenSection
    SSDT \SystemRoot\System32\vsdatant.sys ZwOpenThread
    SSDT \??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\avsys\KLIF.SYS ZwQuerySystemInformation
    SSDT \SystemRoot\System32\vsdatant.sys ZwReplaceKey
    SSDT \SystemRoot\System32\vsdatant.sys ZwRequestWaitReplyPort
    SSDT \SystemRoot\System32\vsdatant.sys ZwRestoreKey
    SSDT \??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\avsys\KLIF.SYS ZwResumeThread
    SSDT \SystemRoot\System32\vsdatant.sys ZwSecureConnectPort
    SSDT \??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\avsys\KLIF.SYS ZwSetContextThread
    SSDT \??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\avsys\KLIF.SYS ZwSetInformationFile
    SSDT \??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\avsys\KLIF.SYS ZwSetInformationProcess
    SSDT \??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\avsys\KLIF.SYS ZwSetSecurityObject
    SSDT \SystemRoot\System32\vsdatant.sys ZwSetSystemInformation
    SSDT \SystemRoot\System32\vsdatant.sys ZwSetValueKey
    SSDT \??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\avsys\KLIF.SYS ZwSuspendThread
    SSDT \??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\avsys\KLIF.SYS ZwTerminateProcess
    SSDT \SystemRoot\System32\vsdatant.sys ZwUnloadDriver
    SSDT \??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\avsys\KLIF.SYS ZwWriteVirtualMemory
    INT 0x20 srescan.sys B9C419D0
    Code \??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\avsys\KLIF.SYS FsRtlCheckLockForReadAccess
    Code \??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\avsys\KLIF.SYS IoIsOperationSynchronous
    Device \Driver\Tcpip \Device\Ip IRP_MJ_CLOSE [B20118A0] vsdatant.sys
    Device \Driver\Tcpip \Device\Ip IRP_MJ_DEVICE_CONTROL [B20118A0] vsdatant.sys
    Device \Driver\Tcpip \Device\Ip IRP_MJ_INTERNAL_DEVICE_CONTROL [B20118A0] vsdatant.sys
    Device \Driver\Tcpip \Device\Ip IRP_MJ_CLEANUP [B20118A0] vsdatant.sys
    Device \Driver\Tcpip \Device\Tcp IRP_MJ_CREATE [B20118A0] vsdatant.sys
    Device \Driver\Tcpip \Device\Tcp IRP_MJ_CLOSE [B20118A0] vsdatant.sys
    Device \Driver\Tcpip \Device\Tcp IRP_MJ_DEVICE_CONTROL [B20118A0] vsdatant.sys
    Device \Driver\Tcpip \Device\Tcp IRP_MJ_INTERNAL_DEVICE_CONTROL [B20118A0] vsdatant.sys
    Device \Driver\Tcpip \Device\Tcp IRP_MJ_CLEANUP [B20118A0] vsdatant.sys
    Device \Driver\Tcpip \Device\Udp IRP_MJ_CREATE [B20118A0] vsdatant.sys
    Device \Driver\Tcpip \Device\Udp IRP_MJ_CLOSE [B20118A0] vsdatant.sys
    Device \Driver\Tcpip \Device\Udp IRP_MJ_DEVICE_CONTROL [B20118A0] vsdatant.sys
    Device \Driver\Tcpip \Device\Udp IRP_MJ_INTERNAL_DEVICE_CONTROL [B20118A0] vsdatant.sys
    Device \Driver\Tcpip \Device\Udp IRP_MJ_CLEANUP [B20118A0] vsdatant.sys
    Device \Driver\Tcpip \Device\RawIp IRP_MJ_CREATE [B20118A0] vsdatant.sys
    Device \Driver\Tcpip \Device\RawIp IRP_MJ_CLOSE [B20118A0] vsdatant.sys
    Device \Driver\Tcpip \Device\RawIp IRP_MJ_DEVICE_CONTROL [B20118A0] vsdatant.sys
    Device \Driver\Tcpip \Device\RawIp IRP_MJ_INTERNAL_DEVICE_CONTROL [B20118A0] vsdatant.sys
    Device \Driver\Tcpip \Device\RawIp IRP_MJ_CLEANUP [B20118A0] vsdatant.sys
    Device \Driver\Tcpip \Device\IPMULTICAST IRP_MJ_CREATE [B20118A0] vsdatant.sys
    Device \Driver\Tcpip \Device\IPMULTICAST IRP_MJ_CLOSE [B20118A0] vsdatant.sys
    Device \Driver\Tcpip \Device\IPMULTICAST IRP_MJ_DEVICE_CONTROL [B20118A0] vsdatant.sys
    Device \Driver\Tcpip \Device\IPMULTICAST IRP_MJ_INTERNAL_DEVICE_CONTROL [B20118A0] vsdatant.sys
    Device \Driver\Tcpip \Device\IPMULTICAST IRP_MJ_CLEANUP [B20118A0] vsdatant.sys

Last edited: Apr 19, 2007
  7. Escalader

ankupan:

Here is a link for you from ZA Pro site on known issues with product.

January 15, 2007

Thank you for choosing ZoneAlarm security software, the easy-to-use Internet security product that detects and controls both inbound and outbound Internet traffic, protecting you from known and unknown threats.

To obtain recent updates to this readme, visit http://www.zonelabs.com/readme-v7_0

This is feedback as requested in your OP. :D

8. fax

fax Registered Member

Yep, be aware that it refers to ZA 7.0.302.000
    Some of the 'know issues' has been fixed with ZA 7.0.337.000

It's a pity that they did not update the readme file...

Fax

9. acooldozen

acooldozen Registered Member

Have been using ZoneAlarm Pro since version 5 and have regularly updated to newest version. I will however stay away from their Suite version as they are experiencing some difficulties at this time. I am very happy with the Program overall but will definitely give ESS a go when it is complete. I am a Senior Contributor on ZoneAlarm forums <aka pairofhearts>. I only have one complaint regarding CheckPoint and that is the one year renewal price of ZoneAlarm Pro. Last year it was 19.95 US for a one year renewal subscription. This year it is 29.95 US. A huge percentage increase. If you have to renew you can purchase ZoneAlarm Pro for 39.95 US including an extra years renewal. A savings of 20.00 over the two year period. However that being said, I still believe it is one of, if not, IMHO the best software firewall available. ;)

Hi Fax....nice to see you here!

10. fax

fax Registered Member

Hi!
    Nice to see you here.... too :D

I am running ZASS on two systems right now... no problems at all.
    What kind of problems do you have?

Fax
    EDIT: and yes, I agree, ZAPro is expensive...

Last edited: Apr 24, 2007
  11. Escalader

Fax:
    Yes, it is an old date on the readme file.

Here again is the list of known issues, as you say some have been fixed, but users here need to know which one's are fixed and which ones are not.

Could you please indicate using this readme list detail which issues have been fixed? Or if easier highlite the issues still outstanding as April 2007?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2007
  12. fax

fax Registered Member

Hi
    Sorry, I can't I am not ZA...

I can speak for myself but then I will miss for sure something, since I have never experienced some of these issues listed that may be triggered only under certain circumstances...

Mine was only a warning that the file is OLD.

If you look to the zonelab download page, these is the release note (ZASS):

• New Anti-spam version with enhanced image spam detection capabilities
    • Antivirus updates that were failing with some proxy settings have been restored
    • Antivirus licensing that allowed some customers’ antivirus to stop functioning has been fixed
    • Other enhancements to optimize antivirus scanning, treatment and updating
    • Fixed Microsoft Security Center notifications not being updated correctly
    • Fixed issue where expert rules disappeared after a restart
    • Added install gates for AV SKU’s to prevent BSOD for users that have not upgraded their Spydoctor and System Mechanic’s builds to the latest one that fixed the problem
    • A change was made to allow per application expert rules
    • Removed Google Desktop installation warning
    • Fixed issue with the parental control blocked page images not being displayed
    • Some rare reports of crashing have been isolated and addressed
    • Yahoo IM8 audio issue fixed
    • Formatting and translation improvements on non-English products
    • Program learning mode duration set to 21 days by default
    • Various other fixes

Fax

13. Escalader

That's okay, some new detail there.

14. Escalader

Here is more recent free update data from ZA. on improvements etc

http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/free/information/zass/releaseHistory.html

What I'm hoping to get is more information on the latest improvements to their identity protection and MyVault features. Many of the top experts there have posted not to rely exclusively on these ZA features.

But what is not known is what are the "holes" in these features in ZA Pro and the suite which I think are the only ZA versions offering this protection.

Does anybody here KNOW what works on these features and what doesn't.
    You can't always assume that the user manual is correct!

BD 10 has a similar feature, but I haven't yet compared it via experiment to ZA Pro.

15. fax

fax Registered Member

Hi!
    I think this was pretty much discussed at the ZA forum... sometime ago with your input.

What for sure does not work is the filtering of SSL page (encrypted pages). Data leaves in encrypted form your PC and ZA cannot check the hash stored in Myvault.

Second, it monitors common ports used by web browser, e-mail and IMs.
    Data sent on uncommon ports via the above mentioned means will not be detected. I guess the minimim it can filter is http traffic and pop3 traffic. On IM I have no idea on exact ports.. I guess port 1863 TCP for MSN messenger. But obviously not the ports used for video call (e.g. 6891-6900 UDP).

Many similar tools store on your HD the actual private information in encrypted form, ZA does not store any confidential information but only the corresponding hash value. So the risk of having MyVault stolen and information used is zero.

Similar tools can sometimes miss credit card info if credit cards are sent in truncated form, commonly used in many website (e.g. 1234 5678 9101 instead of 123456789101), ZA will detect also tructated forms like the example.

This is basically it... you can't protect your confidential data only using Myvault it is just another layer of defence that you can add to your system.

Fax

16. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

i have had very slow start-ups with ZAISS since 6.5 and no matter what i do,the situation remains so...

17. Escalader

Hi Legendkiller! I remember you!

First let me say my post here is OT since this thread is titled ZA Pro which I actually use. It is not slow on start up. So if our moderator wants to move ZAISS to a new thread that is okay as far as I'm concerned but this thread is not mine!

Have you sought advice from ZA Forum or their technical support?

If so what was suggested in detail? and what actually happened with what you tried?

There are many reasons for slow start up. But lets hit this straight on and do some work!

I have listed ZA offerings here for information.
    Based on this list you most likely are referring to the last one the ZoneAlarm Security Suite ZASS or ZAISS?

ZoneAlarm (free)
    ZoneAlarm Anti-virus
    ZoneAlarm Anti-Spyware
    ZoneAlarm Pro
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite

The features extra over ZA Pro in ZAISS are:

1. IM Security,
    2. Parental Control,
    3. Identity Protection,
    4. Kaspersky Anti-virus protection,
    5. Junk E-mail Filtering,
    6. Protection for mobile laptop users and wireless home networks.

If you have tried everything the experts have suggested and have still the same problem of slow start up I suggest the following more aggressive steps.
    After each step you would try the start up and time it. This is work I know but it is not your fault it is slow.

1) Start up with no change to establish base case time and report it here.
    2) Disable all ZA options you can plus 5 extra options in ZAISS except number 4 the KAV AV. reboot and start up again time the start up report results here.
    3) If you still have slow start up, disable KAV (if they let you) reboot and time the start up again and report here
    4) If you still have slow start up uninstall ZAISS and install ZA Pro on trial, add a top flight AV (NOD 32, BD or Antivir (there are many), reboot and report start up time here
    5) If you still have the same issue, it wasn't a ZAISS problem and you need to do a full PC clean up, remove old programs games, run any and all cleanup tools, do a defrag, run a utility optimizer.
    6) Try step 4 again and report.

Then we will have some facts to chew on!

18. fax

fax Registered Member

Yep, Escalader posted a good list for starting troubleshooting problems with ZASS and if I may add, to troubleshoot also 'external variables' you may want to run your system clean with third party software other then the OS services/software and see if you still have slowdown... I guess you know how to do it, but in case not, here you have:

1.) Click Start -> Run
    2.) Type MSConfig in the run box and click OK
    3.) Once in MSConfig, click the Startup Tab
    4.) Remove the checks from everything except ZLClient
    5.) Click the Services Tab
    6.) Place a check in "Hide All Microsoft Services"
    7.) Now remove checks from everything other than TrueVector Internet
    Monitor, and click OK.
    8.) Restart your computer.

You can place your computer back into a normal startup process by
    going back into msconfig and choosing the Normal Startup option on the
    General tab.

Another check you can do is with the windows event viewer (system logs) and check if you have any service that is delaying your boot...

Start --> run --> eventvwr

These are two steps I usually sugget in ZA Forum.

However, if you are happily running your current suite (Norton Security Suite guessing from your signature) probably you are not interested in doing these tests... and I understand it!! :D

For what it counts, I am using the latest ZASS 7 and I have not experienced any slowdown at startup.

Cheers,
    Fax

Last edited: May 4, 2007
  19. Legendkiller

i may not be able to do what escaleder suggested,but what i can say is that the there is some conflict with some software on my computer or something,coz i have tried using zass even on a completely new windows installation with only drivers installed and it still caused slow-startups...

20. Escalader

We are OT here as thread is about ZA Pro. But it seems is now a general ZA discussion forum so until the thread owner complains or the moderator does something I will treat the thread as dealing with ZA issues.

BTW, Fax my id is Escalader, to help think of it as Excalibur spelled wrong!

Legendkiller, when you did your "pure" windows only,you can provide the technical specifications of that PC? These then can be compared to the minimun specifications for ZASS. Fax, what are those minimum specs?

CPU, model speed
    RAM, GB?
    Hard drive GB, speed
    Vista or XP

Legendkiller, your theory that there must be a conflict with ZASS and some software on your PC is confusing me.:oops:

On a "pure" window ZASS test I would the PC clean to the metal first, then load windows and only ZASS to test it's speed of loading, all other software is then out of the equation.

Also, it is difficult to talk slow start up without the numbers, do you mean minutes? seconds? how many? What is the start up time on your PC with Norton? Otherwise without the data we are just talking around the water cooler.

BTW Fax, can you describe other cases of slow start up with ZASS and how they were resolved? Since you have the tool what is the start up time on your own PC. Where are your PC's spec on your signature? If we use Legends sig to detect Norton, it is only fair we display our own. IMO.:D

I have mine so the base PC and software set is transparent for all members to see and it avoids wasted posts such as what AV do you have etc etc.

21. Escalader

Very interesting for future reference. JOOC do you use the feature yourself?

22. Legendkiller

well mine is 2.8ghz Pentium-D,1gb ram,Xp SP2...........i think thats a pretty decent config...
    when i talk of slow........i mean its really slow.....i cannot be precise but it takes a long time for windows to even show my desktop.........but to my surprise whenever i did the usual "ctrl+alt+del"....it never showed any process of zonealarm taking high % of CPU usage...it use be 1 or 2%

As far as norton is concerned it takes a little longer than usual...it must 10sec or something...

23. fax

fax Registered Member

Yes, I do... :)

LoL, sorry... corrected...

Fax

24. fax

fax Registered Member

They were basically resolved with MSCONFIG, sometimes it was other services delaying the startup... 80% of the time due to other security tools installed.

Well, there are many examples, but it does not happen on all PCs (this is the problem), so... it may works for some, but not for others.

Sometimes is the Nvidia nTunes or the Nvidia control panel, iTunes, Quicktime, DELL Support Service, Windows Desktop search, NERO, .... many of these programs do not need to start at ALL at boot and they are only wasting resources...

Delay at boot up?
    Yes, I am sure I have a delay at boot (ZASS is an heavy program) but I cannot really notice it... May be 1 to 5 seconds?

My Spec?
    Yes, here you have:

Core 2 Duo, 6700
    4Gig. RAM
    1 Tera HD
    Nvidia 8800 GTX

Cheers,
    Fax

25. Escalader

Yes, that is a decent config for sure, mine is slightly different 3.0 ghz 1.5 GB ram, xp sp2.

Was Norton fully uninstalled before doing the ZASS speed test?
    It is a bear to uninstall, there is a uninstall utility from them to wipe out all vestiges of NORTON. That would have to have been done to avoid conflict between 2 AV's which as is widely known as a NO-NO:D If I could I would want to go straight to the metal and try to replicate your results, but that is not going to happen!

Fax, your config is huge on memory, so you should never have speed issues!:D Heck you could store everything (almost) in RAM and forgo the harddrive! (Only kidding:cool:

I still don't see why legendkiller should not have good load speed as ZA Pro and ZASS. This may have to remain one of life's little mysteries. :ouch:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.