zoneAlarm is entering the Alarm zone

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by gery, Oct 26, 2016.

1. gery

gery Registered Member

AVG for instance is not as heavy as ZA or EIS I run both on different computers but i can notice a slow down in browsing in both ZA and EIS also i pointed aout the fact that antivirus requiring 200 to 400 megs to run is insane to me

2. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

EIS = Emisoft Internet Security?

3. Crystal_Lake_Camper

Crystal_Lake_Camper Registered Member

I did not had any slowdown issues with zonealarm free firewall in combination with avast free on my machine. a very nice and light config. used avg ultimate up untill 2016 but this was way way heavier / sluggish / glitchy...but this all depends on the type computer / laptop you are using. what works for one person , does not neccesarely mean that it works for a different person.

4. gery

gery Registered Member

yes

5. fax

fax Registered Member

Yep, same experience with AVG. I am afraid it really boils down to specific configurations as 200MB in current environments is basically a non-relevant size.

6. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Nice find, it looks good.

That's the thing, I prefer standalone tools, so no thanks.

7. gery

gery Registered Member

while all the other AV vendors implemented the ransomware shield for free ( for their paid costumers) ZA chose to ask for money . I can not believe this... it keeps disappointing me :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

8. Firecat

ZoneAlarm milks at every opportunity they possibly can. Their marketing and sales department is amongst the worst I have ever dealt with. This feature will be part of ZA paid products for free at some point in the future. They're just keeping it paid for a limited period.

9. Beyonder

Beyonder Registered Member

Last time I used ZoneAlarm was about 10 years ago. They were subpar back then and they are subpar right now. Just use the Windows firewall instead. It used to be crap but it's actually quite good now. I used to recommend TinyWall but that project seems to be dead. Hell the website has a faulty TLS certificate and it's been like this for weeks.

10. fax

fax Registered Member

IMO, Unlikely this will be part of ZA products any time soon as it will require some major development efforts (and costs) otherwise you will bloat ZA with yet more services running in the background.

It was easier to port Checkpoint Sandblast Anti-ransomware component(https://youtu.be/5M6quttHbkI) into a standalone ZA product.

For what in counts, here a review by pcmag:

https://www.pcmag.com/review/355010/check-point-zonealarm-anti-ransomware

11. Firecat

I give it 2-3 years, and it will be part of the main ZA suite(s). Just like that Browser Security they designed (ForceField, was it?) which was integrated and later supplanted.

Fax, when there are other companies who are doing better and putting equal or greater development effort, I feel you as the longest user of ZA should be the first to call them out on such practices - but over the years I've seen you defend these things rather than giving constructive feedback to them.

I too used ZA for many years - but over the years I've found products and support teams willing to go above and beyond what ZA does. I stopped when I knew I wasn't getting the best value for my money.

12. fax

fax Registered Member

Actually I use ZA as many other security tools no specific love for one or another. I understand ZA in here is not well regarded or loved (to say the least), however it always provided excellent protection with a bonus of using in-house uncommon technologies such as proprietary sandbox and now with BB anti-ransomware. Its not a mainstream AV like Norton, Kaspersky, Bitdefender, Avast, etc... and it does not want to compete with them at all. That's why I like it, security by obscurity. ;)

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
  13. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Yes I agree, it used to be a good product, but they ruined it.

I wonder what took them so long to finally launch it. Seems like a good product, but I'm not willing to pay for it, since there is freeware available. And why on earth do you need to make an account before being able to download it, they can go to hell!

14. Circuit

Circuit Registered Member

Well gave it go and no. Paid for version popping up ads unacceptable.
    Total crap for a paid for product. At least they are good at giving refunds.

Attached Files:

15. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

So you got a refund? Did you have to call or can you email their support?

16. fax

fax Registered Member

But refund on what ZA? firewall or ZA anti-ransomware or both? Not clear from your duplicate posts :)

17. Circuit

Called

18. Circuit

Refund on ZA pro.

19. gery

gery Registered Member

Yes they are good at refundig

20. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

ZA Pro paid displays those ads?

21. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Gotcha. Thanks man. So did you ditch it because of the popup ad? What do you plan to use next?

22. RockLobster

RockLobster Registered Member

Zone alarm was a good firewall when it was owned by its original creators, Zone Labs.
    Some years later it was bought by another company it was never the same after that.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.