ZoneAlarm Free (Security Toolbar)

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by pjb024, Aug 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pjb024

pjb024 Registered Member

I have been trying out ZoneAlarm Free Firewall and discovered that if the Security Toolbar is installed then Firefox 5 is prevented from clearing out browser history and cookies when the browser is closed. Uninstalling the Security Toolbar but leaving the firewall installed enables Firefox 5 to clean out history and cookies as expected. That the Security Toolbar works like this suggests to me the real purpose behind it.

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

could be a simple bug

3. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

When did Zone Alarm come with a toolbar? This is news to me.

4. fax

fax Registered Member

ZAfree 9.2.106.000 toolbar does not support firefox 5. You will need to wait for ZA to release ZAfree 10. Currently only retail products support FF5. No ETA.

5. pjb024

pjb024 Registered Member

The toolbar wouldn't install at all in the retail version only in the free. Maybe Cudni is right that there's a bug of some sort or as you say it's not yet supported in firefox 5. It's not an issue for me as I don't want the toolbar anyway.

6. fax

fax Registered Member

Retail: possible if you installed any version before build 250. If you are trying the latest build then likely some local problems or conflicting add-ons installed. Better to check with ZA support directly. They will suggest you some standard troubleshooting steps and then log the issue for escalation if all attempts fails.

Free: yes, zafree does not support ff5 by design.

7. zip

zip Registered Member

I'm not interested in ZA's toolbar or any toolbar!

I don't want any toolbars!!!

I like ZoneAlarm Free firewall. :)

8. noway

noway Registered Member

Would you like one
    if it was small?

If you could hardly tell
    it was there at all?

9. John Bull

John Bull Registered Member

Hi Zip, I reckon you`ve Zapped it right on the button.

I have ZA Free 9.2.106.000 and have had ZA Free for months without a single problem. It works like a dream. When I installed it, I must have forgotten to uncheck the infernal toolbar box, so I got the toolbar.

This ZA toolbar is a useless waste of space, but their firewall is superb. My version has anti-phishing and program control.

All I did was leave the ZA toolbar data listed on the FF>View>Toolbars drop down panel unchecked and the toolbar does not show. Have`nt troubled to delete it, just left it in solitary confinement.

Personally, like yourself and many others I don`t want any of these damned toolbars that nearly all programs seem to include in their install nowadays. If I spot them, I uncheck them on the install Wizard.

I do have the Google toolbar and would not be without it, but no other toolbar comes into my parlour if I can help it.

My Firefox by personal choice is version 3.6.18. OK it is out of date, but it works fine and I intend it to stay that way until FF later editions stabilise and are fully proven, trouble free programs.

Everything I have works perfectly and I do not intend to upset the apple-cart, certainly not by having useless toolbars clutter my set up.

John

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  10. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

The words "security" and "toolbar" are pretty much mutually exclusive.

11. pjb024

pjb024 Registered Member

Cudni was right that it was a simple bug but not in ZoneAlarm it was in Firefox 5. Reinstallation of Firefox 5.1 seems to have solved this one.

12. fax

fax Registered Member

Glad to hear you sorted it out! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.