ZoneAlarm add-on (LangaList 8-15-02)

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by jnibori, Aug 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jnibori

jnibori Registered Member

"Visualzone," a free intrusion-
    analyzer we've mentioned before, now works fine with the new versions of
    ZA free and Pro. VisualZone processes your ZA log files, and can tell
    you (either in real time, or as a run-on-demand service) who's trying to
    access your system, what ports they're accessing, who they are, and
    more. Although ZA has basic alert analysis built in, the VisualZone
    tools are far more complete. Definitely worth checking out:

http://www.visualizesoftware.com/visualzone/visualzone.htm

2. Checkout

Checkout Security Rhinoceros

I've been using it for approx. two years - excellent application. Combined with D-Shield, it's a winner.

3. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

alot of fire walls got extra toys made by people who love there software.

i like black ice report thinghy that add on at wilders where it gives your isp a dear isp letter explaining tha hack attept and where it came from ect ect.

but i like neo trace it perty good lety bit of money but worth it

4. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

When I was using Zone Alarm basic I had Visual Zone working with it.For me it took a while to figure how to use most of the options.Visual Zone is an impressive add-on.I learned a lot about ports and who accesses them,good guys and bad guys both.Terrific tool to use with ZA basic.

5. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

I'm looking for a utility, who's doing the same for Agnitum Outpost.

Anybody a suggestion?

Ciao,

Smokey

6. Prince_Serendip

Prince_Serendip Registered Member

Hi Smokey! Even with Agnitum Outpost you can make reports to D-Shield! They provide instructions. They are a non-profit organization sponsored by the Sans Institute. They get firewall reports from all over the planet. You can learn a lot about what our firewalls can do and what it all means by perusing their site. If you need help, just ask. :)

http://www.dshield.org/index.html

7. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

Hi Prince_Serendip,

txs for the answer, but i'm looking for a log/intrusion analyzer for Outpost who's doing the same as Visualzone for ZoneAlarm.

Ciao,

Smokey

8. Pretender

Pretender Registered Member

i downloaded visualzone and so far am totally lost as to what it does and how to get the program to do it. then again, i've always been rather dense. i'm using it with the free version of zonealarm.

9. Marianna

Marianna Spyware Fighter

Bob,

VisualZone Report Utility is an intrusion analyser and report utility for ZoneAlarm and ZoneAlarm Pro. It displays a clear overview of all intrusion attempts and allows you to analyse the information in lots of different ways. VisualZone can perform a backtrace to try to find even more information about the intruder. You can even automate the process so that a backtrace is performed automatically when new attacks are detected. VisualZone can also submit intrusion attempts to DShield for further analysis.

10. Pretender

marianna, i've been to the site and looked at most everything. for some reason..........it just isn't sinking in. if i 2clk on the vz icon on desktop then it puts icon in system tray. it this icon doing anything? is the real purpose to take and zonealarm log file and analyze it? this is where i'm kind of at a loss.

11. Marianna

Marianna Spyware Fighter

Bob,

that's correct, as the icon is in the systray click on "restore" and you'll see the VZ Report Utility. Did you click on: File >Import Zonealarm Logfile??

If you have - you'll see your "alerts" and you can click on them to find out who it is - you must "register" ar DShield, you'll get a number and you have to insert this in the appropriate field - then it works.

You can set the icon in the systray to sound an "alarm".

Helps this a "bit" o_O

12. Pretender

so once i have the icon in the systray and the alarm armed then there's really nothing else to do unless it sounds?

13. Marianna

Marianna Spyware Fighter

You don't have to do anything. If you are curious you can have a look who is "knocking" on your door.
    You doubleclick on the entry - you'll get to the "attack details" and there you have several options - look around :)

14. Pretender

i use aol for mail. any idea what the smpt address might be located?

15. Marianna

Marianna Spyware Fighter

geez AOL........ have no idea, but try this:

in OE go to: Tools > accounts > mail > there should be your aol account > highlight it > click on properties > click on servers and there you'll find the information for outgoing mail (SMTP)

16. Pretender

don't use OE. got a workaround maybe?

17. Marianna

Marianna Spyware Fighter

First I have to find someone with AOL :D

I did a quick search in Google - came up with this:

Response from America On-Line Regarding SMTP Server Settings

We at America Online would like to thank you for spending the time to write to us regarding this AOL related issue. I understand the situation that you are experiencing and I will be providing you with the necessary information to resolve this matter. It is my hope that this information will be timely, detailed and easy to understand in order to make your online experience more enjoyable.

I understand from your mail, you are requesting one of the following for America Online: DNS, POP, NNTP, SMTP, or IP address.

At this time, AOL does not support external e-mail or newsgroups (Usenet) programs, such as Outlook Express (comes with MS Internet Explorer) or Eudora. The only way to access newsgroups and send e-mail through our service is to use America Online 4.0 improved mail reader.

If you are using software that asks you for a DNS, POP, NNTP, SMTP, or IP address, you are most likely using software that is designed primarily for use with standard Internet providers and not for the major online services, such as America Online.

If you have software that supports e-mail or Newsgroups as well as other features (like Netscape or Internet Explorer) they will likely ask for POP, SMTP, NNTP and other similar items; simply leave them blank.

http://216.239.33.100/search?q=cache:eek:JvxBgbBx6YC:www.uiowa.edu/~itshelp/aolsmtp.html+aol+SMTP+server%3F&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

18. Pretender

oh well. life goes on. thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.