ZoneAlarm 7.0.337

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Sjoeii, Mar 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

I've just checked the ZoneLabs download page and all versions have been updated to version 7.0.337. I've allready installed the ZASS version and would urge everyone with version 7 installed to upgrade. It's much more stable and reliable than version 7.0.302. Should solve all your nonfunctional AV problems.

2. CReal

CReal Registered Member

* Antivirus updates that were failing with some proxy settings have been restored
    * Antivirus licensing that allowed some customers’ antivirus to stop functioning has been fixed
    * Other enhancements to optimize antivirus scanning, treatment and updating
    * Fixed Microsoft Security Center notifications not being updated correctly
    * Fixed issue where expert rules disappeared after a restart
    * Added install gates for AV SKU’s to prevent BSOD for users that have not upgraded their Spydoctor and System Mechanic’s builds to the latest one that fixed the problem
    * A change was made to allow per application expert rules
    * Removed Google Desktop installation warning
    * Some rare reports of crashing have been isolated and addressed
    * Formatting and translation improvements on non-English products
    * Program learning mode duration set to 21 days by default
    * Various other fixes

----------------------------------------

The 2nd one about licensing is supposed to be the corrupted engine?Let's hope so!

3. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

ZoneAlarm 7.0.337.000

For those that are concerned, Check Point has released the 7.0.337.000 line of their ZoneAlarm products. Increased stability as well as the proper updating of their anti-virus and anti-spyware modules appear to be the key fixes.

4. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

Re: ZoneAlarm 7.0.337.000

Then why does build 302 still say that it's up-to-date? :doubt:

5. unhappy_viewer

unhappy_viewer Registered Member

Re: ZoneAlarm 7.0.337.000

Update notifications are staggered so as to prevent people from downloading the update at one shot and overloading the server. Remember that there are millions of ZA users in the world.

If you want to download the update manually before getting your notification, you will need to head to ZL's website and download it manually.

6. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

It runs pretty smooth

7. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

i will use it only after knowing that whether slow-startup bug has been fixed........or not

8. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

So, those using v. 7.0.337, are the AV and AS updating issues resolved?

9. SoCalReviews

SoCalReviews Registered Member

ZASS v7.0.337.000 is installed and running fine here. I also use NOD32 in real time (with the ZASS AV disabled) but I temporarily disabled all the NOD32 modules (and disabled the auto startup of AMON) while updating to this latest version of ZASS, then I ran the ZASS AV updates, tested the ZASS KAV engine, ran a full ZASS AV system scan and it seems to be working very well. I never had a problem with slow startup before so I can't say whether that has changed. I also run Spy Sweeper 5.3 and MS Defender in real time and my five year old AMD Athlon-XP 2 Ghz CPU based system with Windows XP Pro is very fast and responsive.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2007
  10. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

I've taken the plunge and installed the latest version of ZAP. It seems to be working fine, I haven't noticed slowdowns (or speedups!) at bootup, but that problem is very system dependent.

I'm now getting automatic Anti-Spyware updates (whereas before I had to do it manually) so that's an improvement.

The only thing I don't like is the new 'mark of Zorro' icon and the look of the GUI, which they say has been 'refreshed' - personally I don't find it very refreshing; but that has nothing to do with performance which is what counts!

Edit - One thing I have noticed though, is that at intervals I have a box flash onto the screen, and it goes so quickly I can't read what it is - however a check in PG's alert logs confirms that it is ZAP's updclient.exe running briefly to look for updates. This is disconcerting since it is the sort of experience you may expect during a malware attack, and not everyone would realise what is causing this 'flicker' to occur.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2007
  11. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Re: ZoneAlarm Pro 7.0.337

Hello All:

Yesterday I downloaded this update to Pro.
    Haven't installed it yet. Will do full backup first.

ZoneAlarm Pro-1025-English
    zapSetup_70_337_000_en.exe

Has anybody installed it yet and can they report on any issues please?
    Is it a total new version completely replacing old Pro could I uninstall the old one and reinstall from scratch from this download?

I realize most post are about ZASS 7, but some have Pro.

12. Escalader

Hi Topper:

Missed your post before mine was done!
    Does this new Pro give the same options as before to turn auto updates off for both new versions and their spyware product?

I use SS as active and only use theirs as an on demand, so I don't want constant update checking.

Cheers

13. mmiranda

mmiranda Registered Member

I'm presently using ZA Pro 7.0.337.000 and my system is working fine. No incompatibilities with my other apps. No BSODs.

14. TopperID

Certainly, you can cofigure both types of update to 'manual' if you wish.
    I think you can only run ZA's anti-spyware scanner 'on demand' - I'm not aware of it doing anything realtime, unless you mean the Spysite blocking or operating system FW, both of which have AS properties realtime?

15. Escalader

Thanks for the input, Topper, I put my comments in red for you!

16. TopperID

I treat the AS scanner as a 'bonus' also, but I leave it switched on because its scheduled scans are so quick to complete that I barely notice them - in fact it is the only scheduled scan that I have on my system! (I only do AV system scans every 4 - 6 weeks, if not less frequently). If you switch the AS section off you'd lose that together with auto-updating, but I presume you'd still have the site-blocking feature which is very useful.

The AS capabilities of ZAP/ZASS as a whole are rather good, here's an extract from a review of ZASS which seems generally fair even if you hate reviews of this type:-
    The whole review is here:-

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2087488,00.asp

17. oldshep

oldshep Registered Member

I've installed the new ZAISS V 7.0.337 on my Lenovo Laptop and it is working OK so far. At least it registers with Windows Security Center and the AV engine hasn't been corrupted yet.

But the previous version (V 7.0.302) seemed to be ok ... until the AV engine got corrupted and left me unprotected. So I will reserve judgment on this new release for a while to see if it really works properly.

As far as I'm concerned, ZA and Checkpoint have a lot of work ahead trying to regain customer trust. I'm stuck with 5 more months on the subscription, but I'm looking around for a replacement. CPF, NOD32, and Spysweeper are doing an excellent job so far on my desktop. But I'm looking to try NOD32 Smart Security suite + Spysweeper on the laptop when the NOD32 suite finishes beta.

Oldshep

18. Escalader

As promised earlier I will now report on my first encounter with updated ZA Pro 7.0.337.

Many of you may already have seen these things elsewhere.

Install smooth, I wanted a clean install to revisit settings from scratch.

It said turn off all windows programs ( leaving PC open) so I did that but left BD10 on, with no ill effects, have a router anyway.

over 2900 programs scanned
    I did not join in shared settings, that is the infamous "ZA Spy" business so IMO don't do it.
    It asked if I wanted to keep the 1 virus it found over 7 months I dumped that

It deleted my vault of passwords as expected since I knew about that bug.
    BD 10 has a similar function which I will compare to this leaky ZA vault and report back much later in April

Disabled the duplicate email scan, anti virus detector, auto updates.

During the mandatory reboot, a file not found message popped up so fast and disappeared, think first letter was an s. No idea what that was.

I ran the main internet programs next and now will let it learn on it's own for a while then move on to more advanced settings.

Basically what I have done is force it back to basic FW status which was the old ZA's strength.

Cheers

19. oldshep

Escalader,

I would suggest running an on-demand Spysweeper scan and see if there are any conflicts with ZAP.

As I wrote in a previous post on another topic, I had a conflict with ZAP 7.0.302 and Spysweeper - I had ZAP AS off at the time. When I ran the SS scan, the inital memory sweep went very slowly and on the next reboot, the ZAP AS panel failed to load. Maybe that was just a local problem on my machine, but I would be interested if it worked properly for you.

Thanks,

Oldshep

20. Escalader

will do I'll report back!

21. Escalader

Okay, here is what happened.

First I turned ZA Pro off, ran a SS quick scan no parasites , took 5minutes.

Next , I turned ZA Pro on, ran the same SS quick scan it took 21 minutes and the CPU % utilization went to 100%!

SS= 43%
    ZA= 53%

I had done an earlier test with both on started the SS scan, saw how slow it was with ZA on tried to exit ZA and the PC froze and I had to restart PC.

Conclusion: None, the results speak for themselves.

One large difference is you have a different ZA application, so results are not completely apples to apples are they?

What will I do? Not sure yet

Early days so nothing is 1 thought, maybe our resident ZA reps will get us an update.

Uninstall this new version, and revert back to my previous version which didn't have this 4x as slow impact on SS. The only change I had was the update.

Replace ZA with a basic FW making sure of compatibility with SS and BD.

Scrap ZA and hide behind my router hoping windows FW is enough, it isn't!

Panic? never a good option.

Anyway, for now I'll hold my ground and wait.

22. oldshep

Escalader,

Sorry it caused problems on your PC. And as far as a different ZA application, I was running ZA Pro (not the suite) when I was doing my test [ZAP 7.0.302, SS 5.2 or 5.3?, NOD32 2.7 on my desktop]. When I saw the problem, I unloaded ZAP and reloaded COMODO. I had posted on the ZA forum at the time and Guru Oldsod recommended I dump Spysweeper but I dumped ZAP instead.

My laptop is running ZAISS 7.0.337 with Spysweeper completely disabled and not loaded at startup. Haven't tried to run SS with the suite because the ZA gurus say it will conflict with Kaspersky engine.

My brother has been running ZAP, Spysweeper, and NAV for a couple years now without problems so I'm going to check with him to see if he's done the upgrade to ZAP V7 and how things are running.

But for now it appears that changes to ZAP have made it conflict with Spysweeper.

Thanks for posting your findings,

Oldshep

23. Escalader

You are welcome, let us know via PM (if you want) how your brother made out, ~snip~

here is an update.

Don't worry about my PC I can easily revert back.

Regarding your lap top and the Guru Oldsod's advice to scrap SS because of conflict with KAV. That may or may not be true. Try posting that question here and elsewhere before accepting their advice or at least back whole lap top up and run both anyway yourself to test it! I'd like to see those results for sure.

I want have identical security on both my PC's rather than struggle with the learning curve with one set on laptop, and another on desktop.

By the way I rebooted fine today, ZA Pro, SS and BD 10 the issue for me is speed of SS scan and the CPU =100% while doing it!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2007
  24. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Not to go off the topic at hand, I cannot upgrade to ZA version 7 (even though I get the prompt to do so) since Windows 98 no longer will run with that version. ~snip~ I can install that version on the XP machine, but after looking at the screenshots and the bulkiness of the download, I think I will pass.;)

25. Larrylesq

Larrylesq Registered Member

The other day (no doubt in conjunction with release of 7.0.337) I received an e-mail from ZA stating in big red letters that my subscription had expired & that I needed to pay $34.95 to renew ($59.95 2yrs). This was very interesting seeing as though I had already renewed this past November. I did a test & removed the security software that I am currently using & installed ZA. It said I still had 251 days left in my subscription!!!

I wonder how many were tricked into renewing? I have yet to try the "new" ZA 7.0.337. I had so many issues with the Jan 15th version ~snip~ So, I just removed ZA from all of my firms' computers & went with BD.

From my understanding, ZA had issues with Spyware Sweeper because they used a 3rd party developer. Recent updates of SS should have solved this? I find that ZA's compatibility issue(s) with 3rd party software as renowned as SS to be very disturbing. (to say nothing about Vista issues)

I think I'll hold off trying the new ZA on my home computer until these issues are resolved. In the meantime, it would be helpful to know if ZoneAlarm 7.0.337 is compatible with commonly used 3rd party programs before I even attempt to try it again. Input on this would be greatly appreciated as I know others also use common 3rd party software programs as well.

Also - did ZA submit version 7.0.337 to independent 3rd party testing & certification (ISCA or W.C.L. PC Firewall Certified) like others do? See: http://internet-security-suite-review.toptenreviews.com/

Thanks

Larry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.