Zone Labs debuts anti-spyware firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by lotuseclat79, Oct 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Can someone explain this one? How is it any different from ZA Pro 6? What exactly does it do? Their web site is a little vague..

Edit: Just checked it out, looks like the new one is just ZAP less the Theft and Privacy features. So, for $20 less, I think I'd take the new one! :)

Last edited: Oct 19, 2005
  3. JRosenfeld

JRosenfeld Registered Member

4. unhappy_viewer

unhappy_viewer Registered Member

There is no difference. ZA 6.0 already has the triple-defense firewall in place in ZA 6.0. The news article is very outdated.

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

6. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Seems really odd that they would take ZAP and strip off the Privacy features and then sell it for $20 less. I wonder what their reasoning is?

7. unhappy_viewer

Not exactly sure where you got that from. ZAP still has privacy features and was sold at USD$49.95 for a very long time. What ZAP does not have that ZASS has is the spam filtering feature, anti-phising feature, AV, and parental controls but that has always been the case since Day 1.

8. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

9. unhappy_viewer

Sorry I thought you were talking about ZA Pro since you had ZAP written in your post.:oops:

Anyway I guess its because people wanted the OSFirewall and antispyware feature without the other privacy and AV features. I would be similar to ZA with AV. Just the AV without the other frills of ZASS.

10. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Well, I did install this new ZAAS tonight, just to have a look, and it is indeed identical to ZAP with the exception of the Privacy features, which are missing.

Unfortunately, it will not accept my current valid ZAP serial/key, so that forces me to continue using ZAP if that were what I wanted to run.

It is interesting that they are presenting this as a new product. I suppose if I were buying ZAP or ZAAS for the first time, I would choose to skip the Privacy features in ZAP and just go for the newer ZAAS for $20 less. Small price to pay and you get everything else for just $29.95. Not bad.

So I would say this is just another marketing experiment on their part..

11. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

Is Zone Alarm's Anti-Spyware better than Microsoft's Anti-Spyware? Just wondering since MSAS is free, and you can get ZA for free. Is ZA's firewall/anti-spyware worth the money?

12. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

13. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

Hmmm. I think I'll stay with MSAS for now. No use changing something that works.:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.