Zone Labs 6.0.631.002 products released

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by QBgreen, Jul 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steverio

steverio Registered Member

You might try here

2. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

I wasn't talking about TRUSTED ZONE, I was talking about the PROGRAM CONTROL where you set SUPER, TRUSTED, RESTRICTED, ASK, BLOCK under I guess the component or process controls, not having to do with Internet Acess.

dja2k

3. steverio

steverio Registered Member

Sorry dja2k...
    I see that there is an explanation for these behaviors in the ZA help section. I typed in "Trusted Levels" in the box under the "Index" tab and then displayed the results. The "Program Behavior" link at the bottom of the page takes you to the "Suspicious" and "Dangerous" Behavior links. When your Media Player's "Trust" level was changed the "Smart Defense Advisor" classified it as a suspicious or dangerous behavior and denied access. The Media Player needs to be Trusted with Intenet Access as you found out.

4. richrf

richrf Registered Member

I've been following some new threads on DSLReports and ZoneAlarm's User Forums, concerning SmartDefense.

It is pretty interesting. SmartDefense is functionally very similar to ProcessGuard + some aspects of RegDefend + some additional system file monitoring functions. Since most users of ZA are new to IPS, it is interesting to observe the questions, since they are very similar to the kinds of questions that new users of ProcessGuard and RegDefend have. Also, more interestingly, it appears that ZoneAlarm's SmartDefense has many of the same usability issues that ProcessGuard had in its early releases. It will interesting to watch and see how ZoneAlarm's engineers approach and attempt to solve this usability issues.

Anyway, millions of new users are going to be exposed to IPS. This will be a real test for the IPS model. Initial reactions seem to be favorable (page 5 of the DSLReports thread).

History, indeed, repeats itself.

Rich

5. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

It is funny that my system was working fine with process guard and regdefend, no problem whatsoever; they were tightly setup. Now with this new zonealarm, things are being blocked, like visual zone doesn't work with this version; it says that visual zone is trying to modify Zonealarm's ZALOG. My photoshop doesn't work with zonealarm on either; it says something about loggin in with Administrative Privileges Also more popups on keyboard and mouse clicks, like if I didn't go through enough of those popups in Regdefend and in Process Guard.

dja2k

Last edited: Jul 25, 2005
  6. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Do you really need that functionality enabled in ZA with those other applications? Multiple applications doing the same or similar things are likely to cause possible conflicts.

Regards,

CrazyM

7. q1aqza

q1aqza Registered Member

Someone earlier in this thread asked if anyone experienced a memory leak. I have been using the new ZA Pro all weekend (not constantly running though - have rebooted a few times) and I have noticed a couple of occasions where mem useage has crept up into the thirties afte a short while. Usually for me it sits at around 21-22 MB but I have seen it creep up to around 35ish. On the other hand I also left it running for a few hours running a multiple emule download and multiple upload and it worked flawlessly with no memory useage increase.

I'll keep an eye on it to see if I experience anymore high mem use to see if I can see a pattern.

Also someone (I think richf) asked about KAV. So far ZAP 6 is running nicely with KAV Personal 5.0372. I did get a couple of prompts about suspicious or malicious behaviour from KAV but as I knew I could trust it I just clicked allow.

I have also done a couple of broadband speed tests with and without ZAP running and there was absolutely no difference.

So far I'm very impressed.

8. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi q1zqza,

Thanks for the info. Are you running any IPS (e.g. ProcessGuard, RegDefend, Safe 'N' Secure, Prevx) alongside ZoneAlarm? It appears that they are redundant in many areas. Thanks.

Rich

9. q1aqza

q1aqza Registered Member

Richrf,
    I set this up on a clean test partition and all I have running with ZAP 6 is KAV5 and Ewido 3.5. ZAP 6 passes (or stops) most of the leaktests (there was a couple I couldn't get to work) - it even passes DNS Tester which I have not seen passed by any FW straight out of the box.

10. Disciple

Disciple Registered Member

The New Network prompt on reboot is supposed to be fixed this week. FWIW - I wish that was fixed before the release, but that decision was probably made higher up the corporate ladder.

11. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi q1zqza,

Thanks for the addiitional information. Very helpful.

Rich

12. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I ran 6 Pro for several days without rebooting and noticed that total ram usage was up around 32mb. It started lower, but then rose after many hours of just normal use. Vsmon got up to 24 where it finally levelled off, and I think the GUI was arond 7.5 most of the time. So in general, I got the impression that there wasn't a memory leak, but that ram usage increased up to a certain point (32mb) and then levelled off and stayed there.

13. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

Anyone notice if ZL fixed the issue where memory and CPU cycles were still being sucked up if Spyware and AV monitoring were disabled?

I found a bunch of issues with the beta. Not installing it just yet. Will stick with 5.5 for another release or two. ZL generally takes 3-5 updates to get things running well.

14. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

There is no way to turn off that function in this version of Zonealarm, is there? I mean I am just using this new version to see if it is better and more stable than the 5.5 series. If there is a way to turn it off which I haven't found, then by all means let me know how. And no there are no conflicts yet, no pop-ups has been directed to regdefend, nod32, process guard, nor regrun in addition to any other security, scanning virus, spyware, ad-aware program. Everything seems to be working fine except a program here and there.

dja2k

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.