zone alerm free version

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Bethrezen, Apr 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bethrezen

Bethrezen Registered Member

im a user of zone alarm free version and im rather anoyed to learn that it cannot has detect and block exploits like firehole and too leakey  :mad: and im wondering if anyone knows if zone labs are planing to update the free version to stop this sort of thing and if thay are when the update will be released  o_O

as this could be a pertentoualy serious security breach !! if any hacker should designe malware to take advantage of this

2. Checkout;

Checkout; Guest

Exacly what proof do you have of these claims?

3. Bethrezen

i know because iv tested there fire wall testers against the latest version of zone alarm free edition 2.6.362 and thay when right through zone alarm like it wasnt there thats my proof

so parden my manours but unless you have any useful coments plz say nothing im lookin for answers not smart arse comments

4. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Gentlemen,

Let's keep it friendly, OK?

Bethrezen,

allowing any .exe file (and that's what FireHole and TooLeaky in fact are) to execute is the main issue here. True: in case you do allow these to execute, your system will be vulnerable. For that reason, if using ZA Free, one should configure this app in a way, all apps should ask for access every time.

As for updating ZA Free: as always, the Pro version has all priority. In the end - and this can take quite some time - ZA Free might be updated as well.

You could consider the (free) addon as posted in this forum; running the both in conjunction will take care of your problem.

regards.

paul

5. MickeyTheMan

MickeyTheMan Security Expert

This is definitely a touchy issue !
    As Paul points out, if everything is configured to be asked access, then all firewalls would pass these tests, as in essence you are in fact denying the tests to go through.
    The purpose of these tests however  is to to go one step behond that and test your firewalls's to see  if something similar to these tests , but with malignant intent were able to make their way into your system, what would then be the protection offered by said firewalls.
    Not all score evenly on that.

6. Paul Wilders

Fully agreed, Mickey.

regards.

paul

7. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

Keep it simple switch to another firewall company!!!! Or..Send your results to ZA Company and help them resolve this matter if it exists...

Technodrome

8. Bethrezen

i apolagise for my poor manours

you mentioned somthin about a plug in o_O

contacin zone labs was my first though but i dont got a contact adress

there are only 2 resions im using zonealarm 1 its easy to use for a novice like me 2 its free although changin fire walls may be a good idea i dont know which one to get which is the best free one right now ?? plus i would all so need some instruction on how to properaly configure it as im not sure id beable to do it on my own well not at first untill i learned how to use it

9. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

Check out Wilders.org firewall section and you might be able to find your answer.

http://www.wilders.org/firewalls_m.htm

Technodrome

10. Checkout

Checkout Security Rhinoceros

Hey, it wasn't meant to be a smart-arse comment.  Let's not get trigger happy.  To my knowledge both ZA and ZAP both prevent the leaks you mentioned by default, as backed up by grc.com.  Okay?

11. MickeyTheMan

not according to Zonelabs themselves, they don't !  Unless of course they managed to solve that recently !

12. Checkout

I'm happy to be corrected but I thought this was a non-issue since V3?  Hmm...maybe I'd better send a few emails out....  o_O

13. Checkout

Tooleaky etcetera were known issues at 2.6 and earlier, but not 3.0 onwards.  :)

14. Paul Wilders

Checkout, as the initial poster inquired about the free version, and there has not been released a v3.0 Free as far as I know, the version he uses indeed is vulnerable, won't you agree?

regards.

paul

15. Checkout

Dammit, you're right.  Not being a ZA user, I made an erroneous assumption that it would be at the same level as ZAP.

I hereby back-pedal, with alacrity.  Sorry folks.

16. Paul Wilders

Checkout,

Never mind. Happens to the best  ;)

regards.

paul

17. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Paul - I'm not seeing anything in our d/l section that addresses the tooleaky/firehole 'vulnerability' as re: ZA.

Am I missing something?

Bethrezen - Hi! The ZA you've got right now is probably perfectly sufficient to your needs.

I say that because, while the tooleaky/firehole 'vulnerability' does apply to the freeware ZA, I have yet to see any instances out here in the Internet of any actual successful exploits against anyone that employ the 'vulnerability' exposed by tooleaky/firehole.

As far as ease of use and simplicity, it's kind of hard to beat the ZA you already have.

Just my two cents. pete

18. Paul Wilders

19. snowman

snowman Guest

Checkout

you were absolutely..totally correct in your first reply.....zone alarm free version will pass all tests when set  that programs must ask for permission........this is a matter of "just say no"      Furthermore..previous versions of zone alarm free version also worked the same way....an passed all tests mention......

is zone alarm free version "vulnerable" ..yes...if the user does not set it so as all programs my "ask"

going by the firewall results posted at pcflank:

Look n Stop lite..is vulnerable   (free version)

sygate (free version) is vulnerable

point being:  most all freeware versions of firewalls are vulnerable to this issue.   many of the shareware versions of firewalls are not.

in the past I have used Look n Stop lite.....Tiny  and zone alarm (free version)

The Pro version of Look n Stop imo is a great firewall.   An if I were in the market for a firewall it would be my personal choice.

if zone alarm free version passes the tests when set correctly......in all fairness that should be mentioned.
    so as not to mislead a person into believing other freeware firewalls are not just as vulnerable....

Pete......great post!

Regards

snowman

20. snowman

snowman Guest

Mickey

I believe your first post summed it up very well.
    an excellent assessment.

reagrds

snowman

21. snowman

snowman Guest

*respectfully posted: no intent to be off topic*

time and time again I have noticed numerous people express that they are concerned about using rule based firewalls for fear of not being able to correctly set rules.

with all the wonderful people at this forum willing to offer help......its only matter of asking.  

over the years I have seen Spy1...Mickey the Man.....Paul.....an many many others go well out of their way to help anyone in need.......they have certainly done so many times with me.

so,,to anyone..anywhere...just ask.   if you want to try a rule based firewall someone will always be willing to help out or direct you to a source of information.   by no means am I an expert on anything...but I know good people when I see them.  an these guys are the best.

at a time such as this when new exploits are hitting users nearly every day....there is no better time than now to express this to those in need of help.

thanks for allowing the post

snowman

22. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Thanks, snowman!

We appreciate the compliments! And will, of course, do our best to live up to them. pete

23. MickeyTheMan

Just when i was about to retire ! :D

24. snowman

snowman Guest

SPY1

I can remember the days when you and Mickey had to patiently walk me through even the most minor computer problems........an always it was appreciated.

Education is desperately needed by many users....an just maybe...once people realize that there good people willing to help-out.....the over-all results will be a better use of the internet for all......   an what better way of learning about helpful people then from someone like myself......who so many have reached out and helped......even when I didn't deserve it..
             its you whom I thank Pete......

Mickey

RETIRE!!!!    no way buddy....there is still a whole lot you have to teach me yet.....you aren't getting off that easy...     LOL

Truely..my sincere best regards to both you guys..

Snowman

25. Bethrezen

Hi guys and thanks for all ya replys

education is indeed the name of the game and if more users where educated in computers the result would indeed be a beter online experance for us all and thats why i signed up at the spyblocker forum and here to learn new skills and keep my self and my comp safe while me and my bro's are on line

indead the guys who give up there time to help people like me are to be thanked keep up the good work  :D

if i ever need help i know where i can come to find the answers i seek

Blessed be

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.