Zone Alarm Uninstall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Carol, Feb 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carol

Carol Registered Member

:)

Hi,

I'm asking these questions for someone. I am helping someone via email, and had sent the uninstall info. that I got via this website.

They've had problems getting to the web, and I later learned they had recently unintalled Zone Alarm. I then came across this info. on what's involved, so I sent them instructions on removing references in the registry.
    They ended up restoring the backup, because of the following problem.

Why are they unable to delete that key, without having this problem? Why a black screen? Is it possible the leftovers have already caused other problems?
        We got a black screen after reboot, warning that deleting that "vsdata95.vxd" file might affect some programs. We clicked any key to continue and got to the desktop. Tried that again and shut down, rebooted and that same black window with the same warning.

It's the second one listed in the Shared DLL values.  Actually there are two there "vsdata.dll" and "vsdata95.vxd"  listed both on the second line and we deleted them both.  

The black screen after rebooting only had a problem with the one listed with the "vsdata95.vxd".
    Step 2.  "Rename the directory "C:\windows\internet logs" (for example, "internet logs1"). I did that but whyo_O Any clue why it has to be renamed?  

Any help would be appreciated.
    TIA :)

2. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

:-/  way past me, I've never uninstalled my ZA... Way over my head, but letting you know someone is reading this at least! Sorry I'm no help.

3. Carol

Carol Registered Member

Thanks,

Yeah, it's over my head to,  :D but they just got it taken care of. If you by chance have Zone Alarm installed and want to uninstall it for any reason.....check on the Firewall section of this site and go to the links for instructions.

Have a good day!

4. MickeyTheMan

MickeyTheMan Security Expert

IF ZA is not uninstalled properly, you WILL LOSE connection to the net !
    I'd suggest you go to Zonelabs site and print a copy of instructions.  However here it goes.
    1. You need to unckecked start with windows.
    2. Close ZA.
    3. Shut down system.  This will also close ZoneBand.
    4. On reboot, ensure ZA is in fact closed. (no ZA icon in tray)
    5. Now you can uninstall.
    6. Reboot and all traces should be gone.

Very important to uncheck start with windows,  close ZA and reboot  to make sure that TRUE VECTOR is disabled as any attempt to uninstall ZA with TRUE VECTOR activated is what makes you loose connection to the net.

5. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

eek! wow I'm sure glad I've read this now! I don't have any plans of uninstalling but I'm sure I will some day and I never woulda thought it coudl do things like that!

6. Carol

Carol Registered Member

Thank you for your reply!

Yes, I had emailed them all those instructions on uninstalling ZA, when I came across that warning, so to speak. That was the problem they were having, was getting to the web. It's all taken care of now, and they reinstalled their Internet program. They are now on the web again.  :)

Then when the above problem arose, I received another reply on a different forum that really made the difference. That took care of the Black Screen.

This is the key that resolved the problem, but was not included in the other instructions.......

quote:
    It's Windows thinking that the vxd still needs to load at startup,  and it can't find it in C:\Windows\System any longer.

You'll need to search the registry for references to the vxd and delete them

A good bet is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\VSDATA95

but do a keyword search as well, if it isn't there.

Thank you all for your replies!  ;)

7. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Make also sure that the DeskBand is disabled, in case you are using it, before you go to step 2/3.

There was also a thread about this topic on the old forum:
    http://pub24.ezboard.com/fsecureyesecurityfrm3.showMessage?topicID=59.topic

Here is the website of ZoneLabs with the description how to uninstall ZA/ZAP:
    http://www.zonelabs.com/services/support_install.htm

8. Carol

Carol Registered Member

Detox,

Actually, I was going to post the instructions I had, but it was too long, so it didn't work.  :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.