Zone Alarm problems

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by LuSiD, Jul 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheSnowGuy

TheSnowGuy Guest

Since XP has a built-in firewall......you could simply remove ZA from start-up...re-boot..(ZA wont load) an see if the problem continues with ZA not running. (you do not need to un-install ZA to run this test...just re-move ZA from start-up)

Note:...make sure the XP firewall is running after ZA was removed from start-up........so as you will have that protection on the internet

2. Cyber Surfer

Cyber Surfer Registered Member

I have been running Zonealarm Pro for the last five years, and have found it to be the best firewall on the market.

Since the introduction of version 5.0, there has been a steady stream of problems, resulting in several beta releases, which are slowly fixing those problems. I have tried them all, and yes, some do run with NOD32 and Service Pack 2 without problems. Some do not.

The problem that I have is that Zonelabs is using the market users to test their beta products, rather than wait until a good certified version is found and released. You do not need the grief or all the hassles. Zonelabs needs to ensure that their customers are completely satisfied, before they loose their market share. Several people have already left for other firewalls, but some will remain and struggle through these hard times. After all, we did pay for a good product, and Zonelabs has an obligation to ensure that their customers needs are met.

I strongly recommend that users stay with version 4.5.594 Pro and Free, until such time as all the bugs are worked out. Experimenting with the current beta versions will ultimately lead to problems in your computer. Play it safe and stick with the release version that works, and is by far their best version, until a new totally fixed version is found. You don't have to have the latest and greatest!

That's my .02 cents.

3. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Ah Cyber Surfer,

.02 cents well spent and all fellow users or zoners as I call them, would be wise to take your free advice.

Ol' Mercurie never did update, stayed with trustworthy ZAP ver. 4.5.594. Key will expire soon and I will be reluctant to renew it. Just stay with current version on this machine until major event (hard disk dies or need to reformatt, etc. etc. then make the decision move on or see if Zone Labs now owned by Lowpoint...whoops, I mean Checkpoint... has ironed out the problems) Also I am behind router firewall too. I have ZAP unchecked to not start at startup. Let PC come up and use all the resources it needs to come up quickly. Then fireup ZAP. Makes for faster smoother reboots. Been a Zoner for years and love the product.

And that be my .02 cents worth. Glad to know you Cyber Surfer! ;)

4. Cyber Surfer

Cyber Surfer Registered Member

I too am coming up for renewal in November, and it will be a hard decision if Zonelabs has not fixed the problems. I have a registered version of Outpost Pro that I may have to use instead. I would prefer to use the ZAP, but time and circumstances may not allow it. Definately a shame!!! :'(

5. TennisBum

TennisBum Registered Member

I was so frustrated with Zone Alarm and couldn't find any answers or suggestions for things to try and correct my problems that I just uninstalled ZA and went back to Sygate Personal Firewall and have not had another problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.