Zone Alarm Pro 3: Start up question...

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Lost_Prophet, Apr 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lost_Prophet

Lost_Prophet Registered Member

ZAP3 is installed and working fine, but I notice that it is a bit slower to load than many of my other programs under WinXP.

Shoulding ZAP load first?   ICQ, MSM and Web Washer all load before ZAP... This seems like a big 'no no' to me...

Would someone educate me on how I can make ZAP load faster, or move it to the top of the WinXP "do this first at start up" list... ?

I've looked at msconfig start up tab and ZAP is at the bottom of the list, if that makes any difference.  I see no way to edit anything in my msconfig startup tab.

2. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Hi, L-P!

The only one I've seen that really starts first is Tiny. You might try checking the programs' thread 'priority' with something like TaskInfo and increasing it, but I've not really had any consistent improvement with that approach. Everything else that I've ever seen mentioned as re: programs that'll help you change the start-up order of things always have come with warnigs of dire consequences if something should happen to go wrong with its' use.

Start-up order isn't really that important unless your computer is set up to instantly go online at start-up, anyway - or at least that's been my experience. Pete

3. Lost_Prophet

Lost_Prophet Registered Member

Thanks Pete.  :)

I translated that into a polite "don't worry about it."  ;)

It also sounds like I can work around this by keeping my modem off until after my start up sequence is completed.

I'm on an 'always on' cable connection...

4. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

:mad:

I always used ZAP 2.6, was a lot faster in starting up.

Have the same problems with ZAP 3x like you, tried a lot but with no positive results.

Anyway i think that ZAP 3x is still not complete ready in development, there are also several bugs in ZAP 3x, but of all firewalls i tried i think ZAP is the best (personal opinion).

Ciao, Dave

5. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

L_P - Hmm. Didn't mean for it to come across sounding that way - you're absolutely right, if your computer hits the net at start-up (as yours does with cable) then there is a window-of-opportunity there - albeit a small one - for something to happen.

Addressing that and solving the problem (and thus restoring piece-of-mind and eliminating a potential 'gap' in your Internet protection) are nothing but good things to do. Pete

6. cupcars

cupcars Registered Member

I am having the same problem. My computer is connected to a router which is fed DSL so it is connected to the net at startup.  When I start up, ZAPro 3.0.118 is the last thing to load. It takes about 2 minutes to load after everything else has loaded.

I was running ZAPro 3.0.82 and the startup time was normal. My computer is HP PIII 800 notebook, 256 ram, Win XP Pro.

I have read in other forums that some people are having slow shut down problems with ZAPro 3.0, I don't have this problem.

Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.