Zone Alarm 50% Off Sale

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Securon, Aug 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Evening ! Just a head's up on the Sale at Checkpoint on all Zone Alarm Products. Purchased Extreme Internet Security...and am amazed at how light it is and the scope of features and functions. Must admit I was a bit apprehensive upon installing it , even though I've been using it for it for the past couple of hours,to say it's fully featured is an understatement. Appreciate the Virtualization and Zone Alarm's Toolbar. Haven't used the back-up utility or Identity features as of yet,perhaps later I'll check them out first and then decide if they might prove useful. Sincerely...Securon

2. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Wow, you left G-Data traitor :D
    Hahahaha, haven't tried G-Data for so long :ninja:

3. Duradel

Duradel Registered Member

Is Zone Alarm fast or slow in terms of internet browsing?

4. Securon

Good Morning ! Duradel, on my system it is very quick and responsive while browsing, no lagging or slowdowns on webpages. I'm very impressed so far and as I stated there are some other components within the app that I'll explore given the time. So far no complaints whatsoever. Sincerely...Securon

5. Duradel

I've noticed that some few security solutions cause CPU slow down while browsing. Zone Alarm's main strength is their firewall, are they doing well detection wise recently? :p

6. fax

fax Registered Member

taking a reputable testing organisation like VB, they seem to perform extremely well (see checkpoint on top right of the RAP graph). http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/rap-index.xml

Taking a much less reputable testing "organisation", you can watch this video:
    -http://www.youtube.com/user/languy99?blend=1&ob=5#p/u/13/49IyRvBYPT4-

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  7. Securon

Good Morning ! Zone Alarm uses Kaspersky as a vendor for the Anti-Virus...Malware component. Obviously an older version. But you can't go wrong in my estimation with Kaspersky. The scan schedule is flexible in allowing the user control in their implementation and setup. I'm not a fan of One setting does all. As mentioned so far very impressed. Sincerely...Securon

8. fax

fax Registered Member

Not really old, its the latest SDK version (don't get confused by version numbering). It is basically comparable to the current Kaspersky Enterprise Version. :)

9. Duradel

Just wasted an hour playing around with Zone Alarm Extreme Security. First thing I noticed is that the tool bar uses bing search so I uninstalled it. It also had incompatibilities with Key Scrambler.

When I attempted to uninstall it off my system it locked up at about 48%. Next time I tried to log back in the system completely froze. I then booted into safe mode and uninstalled it using the clean.exe file mentioned on the zonealarm forums.

Performance wise it was fine. Didn't notice any slowdown while using it but the toolbar was horrible.

10. fax

fax Registered Member

You can simply install without the toolbar (option at install). You loose a bit of control but main protection functions will be still there. ZA already comes with a dedicated jammer for keylogging/screenshot, so this is probably why you have problems with keyscrambler. :)

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  11. BonskY

BonskY Registered Member

Zone Alarm provide a competent security product for a good price.

Never been in trouble with last 3 years with ZA antivirus. Unfortunately, the newer version (10) doesn't offer to not install the web protection (only the toolbar) as it possible to do with the version 9.

With the web protection there's a conflict with Sandboxies, I can't launch Firefox and/or Internet Explorer sandboxed...(Only Google Chrome work as the ZA web protection not support this browser...)

With a comprehensive computer security, ZA is a great security tool...

Have a nice day

12. fax

fax Registered Member

If you don't want the web protection just disabled it. Its normal that running overlapping tools you get easily in trouble. :)

13. BonskY

BonskY Registered Member

Hi Fax :)

I know , the conflict is coming from the ZA advanced download protection and Sandboxies. (in fact it's 2 sandboxes applications , I understand the trouble to run these in the same time...)

I try with disable the web protection, Forcefeild.exe stopped from the process but not the virtualisation process (sorry don't remember the process name) and Firefox and Internet explorer sandboxed launch but the web navigation was very slow and sometime the browers freezes.

Checkpoint support service provide me a tool to uninstall the forcefeild (web protection) module and I will save you the long trouble story...

Unfortunately, my immediate solution is a alternative security solution but I stay tuned on ZA news.

Have a nice day Fax

BonskY

14. fax

fax Registered Member

Uuuhm, no problem BonskY. There is no main processes of virtualization other than forcefield and with web security fully off also download protection is removed. Have you tried with a recent build (e.g. 250)?

15. BonskY

BonskY Registered Member

Ho ! good point, I've tried with the started version 10.0.240.000 and 10.0.241.00...

I will try the newest version (10.0.250.000) this weekend...will see...

I remember one of the process that still running instead the web protection is disable was ICWSVC.exe

Have a nice weekend Fax :)

16. fax

fax Registered Member

You probably need to reboot....
    A nice WE to you too! :)

17. Duradel

If we don't install the Zone Alarm tool bar and use perhaps Malware Bytes for web protection wouldn't that cover the hole that is missing?

I don't like the idea of using Bing search over Google and found it annoying that the toolbar seemed to be aimed towards social media.

18. fax

fax Registered Member

What you miss without the toolbar (security wise) is the information about sites (Site check) and the possibility of opening a a private browser. The rest of the protection will be there.

Btw, you can ignore the ZA search and continue to use the one integrated in the browser, it does not modify it whatsoever unless you checked a specific box at install.

19. Securon

Good Evening ! Got to admit that in my particular set-up the tool-bar is okay...and I use Zemana Key Logger and no conflicts with Extreme Security. Everybody has differing wants and needs with any given app,and as we all know it comes down too experimentation,observation and action. As I mentioned previously there's a lot too tinker with in Extreme Security. Sincerely...Securon

20. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

It seems like the Checkpoint sales are usually misleading. $59.95 is the everyday price for ZA Pro? Really? I've seen it advertised on their site recently for an everyday price of $39.95. They just shoot their "everyday" prices way up during a "sale" then claim 50% off makes the final price $29.95. But that is typical Checkpoint. I don't know why they insist on such advertising policies as they have attempted over the past few years. Why can't they just sell a decent product at a decent price and leave all the garbage alone?

21. Duradel

Im waiting until they drop the prices to $20 for ZA Extreme. Its still more expensive the more popular companies.

22. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I got an email offer from Checkpoint today for ZA Extreme 3-user for $29.95. I can't get the email to show as a web page though. Also, there's an ongoing facebook promo for a 1-user ZA av w/firewall for $9.95. Both pretty good deals if you're a ZA person.

23. Securon

Good Morning ! Acr1965...when the dust settles on the Trading Floor...all in all it leaves no room to complain...it's certainly a buyers market. I took the same offer,an excellent decision. As an update I removed the Zone Alarm Bing Toolbar,as mentioned previously the toolbar wasn't a big deal to me,but for economy sake I enjoy an uncluttered appearance on my browser. Great time to shop. Sincerely...Securon

24. The Seeker

The Seeker Registered Member

Sounds good. Care to share the link?

25. Securon

Good Morning ! Faster than a speeding Trjam...er uninstall...a bargain initially appears to be a bargain...then you realize perhaps it isn't a bargain after all . I had to uninstall Z/A Extreme due to the fact it doesn't harmonize itself with Firefox...all of a sudden there was an error message from firefox in regards to Java script...and security conflicts...and I couldn't access my favorites both with firefox and i.e.9. So I came to the instant decision of uninstalling Z/A...and reinstalling Avast Internet Security. Presto...everything is back to a-b-normal. Firefox is harmonious,with favorites re-established and my peace of mind with it. Avast is way more secure and complete as a product...just my opinion...who knows Z/A might be what your looking for...so be it. I'll stick with a tried and true app. Sincerely...Securon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.