zip files

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 1 Forum' started by JR_preacher, Mar 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JR_preacher

JR_preacher Registered Member

hi,

i installed exchange module of nod 32 as far as i see it dosent detects zip files in winsock level. seen detects viruses when you extract document on hard disk.. is this secure or can give any harm to system,, o_O

thanx

tayfur

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Hi JR,

I assume you are saying that you are using the normal (current) version of NOD32 and not the new Beta, correct? If you look at this summary of features for NOD32 v2.0 (currently in Beta release), you'll see that it will include email scanning at the winsock level. The current release does not.

"The new NOD32"
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=4409

Now, having said that, I am not saying that you aren;t safe. In fact, a zip file is not dangerous inside an email message. The contents of the zip can't "do anything" until they are extracted. NOD32 will catch any viruses when they are extracted.

Many people don't run AV software email scanners anyways, as they know the resident scanners will generally catch the virus as the file is saved to disk or extracted from a zip file.

I hope this helps,
    LowWaterMark

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.