Zemana giveaway for 72 hours

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by JoeBlack40, Jan 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

pajenn,

If you are satisfied with SOL I don't think there would be anything to gain by adding Zemana and I personally wouldn't run them concurrently. Also, remember that Zemana has a HIPS module beyond the anti-logging features.

Zemana is more comprehensive in that it isn't limited to just the browser like SOL, so it would offer more widespread protection.

They list their anti-logger as being compatible with KeyScrambler and thus far I have found that to be the case.

So, my recommendation (for what it's worth) would be to remove SOL if you download and employ Zemana during this one year giveaway. The other Prevx modules should be fine based upon their compatibility list.

Hope this is helpful.

2. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Hi Blues7

That is not what I find at all. Here is what happens with a typical sandbox I have created on my computer...

1. Close sandboxed browser.
    2. Select Delete Contents (from the right-click menu), which then displays contents info (20 files and 30 folders occupying 1 MB of disk space).
    3. Do not delete, just close the Delete Contents dialog.
    4. Right-click sandbox again & select Terminate Programs.
    5. Dialog pops up saying there are no processes to terminate. Click OK.
    6. Then go back and delete the 1 MB 20 files 30 folders contents.

3. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

I've just sent you a PM to avoid derailing the present thread. :thumb:

4. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Right, I apologize for the OT.

5. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

Thanks. That was helpful. I'm happy with SOL, but I'm also curious to try Zemana for comparison now that it's available for free.

6. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

@ pajenn

See my post #32 :thumb:

7. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

One more question: With Zemana installed (default settings), should I turn down Privatefirewall's Process Monitor (from high) and/or disable its 'Process Detection' option?

note: I had to install Zemana AntiLogger 1.9.2.243 twice. The first install and subsequent activation produced the following Unhandled Exceptions: "dwHddId == 0" and "!InitializeService()". However, it appears to be running smoothly right now.

8. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

While I had them running concurrently I experienced no issues (over a couple of hours) but I did have to authorize processes/applications that I already had allowed or set rules for in Privatefirewall. I can't see the point of answering pop-ups from two HIPS programs for the same events/processes.

I made the decision to stay with the HIPS (Process Monitor) in PFW and turn off the System Defense module in Zemana.

My reasoning was that I'd probably continue with PFW (firewall & HIPS) into the future whereas I was primarily interested in the anti-logger protection of Zemana, not the HIPS.

If you stay with Zemana's HIPS, I'd turn the Process Monitor in PFW off.
    (Some folks may say that you can experiment with both but I worry about conflicts that don't manifest themselves in an obvious fashion and provide a false sense of security. YMMV.)

9. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

One way that I know that we can get hurt is if we install a infected addon
    or plugin in the browser, that way the keylogger in the addon will read and
    sent information out even though only Firefox has access to Internet.
    I rarely install addons but people with 25 Firefox addons, well they better
    be aware.

Bo

10. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Hi Page
    Because of what you are saying here is that I think its better to delete
    the sandbox instead of terminating programs. I know Tzuks words that
    you quoted are kind of confusing but take a look at the first 2 lines of
    the last paragraph, that should make it clear.
    http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?DeleteSandbox

Bo

11. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

I've uninstalled Zemana. I ran their logger tests this morning and found that it failed their own tests. :eek: (I had better results in the past with their tests before installing the program.)

This leads me to believe that despite their "compatibility list" the program is conflicting with one or more of my other security apps. (And I had previously disabled their HIPS module to avoid potential conflict with the HIPS in Privatefirewall.)

So, for me it's back to a simpler, more streamlined set of security tools with an eye toward avoiding excessive overlap...(including programs with a yearly subscription fee).

12. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Hi Bo
    I'm going to get run off of this thread for being OT, but I very much want to respond to your post.
    For clarification, I think it's best to terminate then delete.
    I didn't think that until I read tzuk's instructions, Defending Against Key-Logger that I linked above.
    Only tzuk can tell us for sure, but I don't find his words all that confusing, to be honest with you, Bo.
    On this subject, he wrote,

13. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I can't count the number of times that I have downloaded Zemana to my desktop, thinking I would install it for added protection, only to erase the file after debating with myself whether or not it was essential. That is why I read these Zemana threads... to see what others are deciding. To be honest, I just don't see enough raves, but I do see a fair amount of criticisms. For me it seems non-essential, and I anticipate conflicts and/or slowdowns. But it's always been tempting, especially when a free opportunity like this one rolls around! :)

14. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

Re: Zemana

For me it was the opportunity to test it for free that was the deciding factor.

I'd already tried SpyShelter (and found that upon two successive clean reinstallations it kept my keyboard from operating) so this was a chance to try another highly thought of app. It certainly appeared to be more compliant and evolved based upon the installation and user interface.

However, like you, I feel that the program is unnecessary from the point of view that if you avoid downloading/installing the malware in the first place it's a moot point.

To each their own and I hope that others will find the combination that works best for them. :thumb:

15. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Hi Blues7,

Your input in this thread has been very interesting. I'd like to mention how tempting it is to download programs particularly when they are offered as freeware for a limited time. In my experience I've noticed that too many programs, no matter how well they are coded, will always create some kind of problems, and in the end I've always reverted to a simple combination of security. I am certain that Zemana will be an excellent addition to many members.

16. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

Thanks, Osaban. If my meager contributions to the forum can be of some value, I'm certainly happy to do my small part. I've enjoyed my ongoing education on this and other valued sites and owe much more than I can pay back. :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.