zaf 3.7.098 trouble

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Bethrezen, Feb 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bethrezen

Bethrezen Registered Member

hi all

well i just updated to the latest version of zaf now although that seam to have fixed the dial up bug this seams to have caused another problem now check for updates is grayed out grrrr how annoying cant they get anything right

*sigh* oh well at least my copy of za is up to date and working ok

and does anyone know if there is a setting to get the tray icon to blink like it did in 2.6 because with them annoying pop up boxes turned off i relied on than to let me know when something was blocked but as this seams to be gone now i have no way of knowing if za has blocked something which is causing me problems when i have an app that needs net access i don't know that za has blocked it

help

and is there a way to get za free to block exploits like too leakey i know that the protection is available in za + and zap but why not zaf this is a concern to me and I'm sure it is to anyone else thats security concern who uses za free

any comments anyone

team za you input would be appreciated here to

thanks Blessed Be

2. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Did you see marti's second post here:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=7553

Regards,

CrazyM

3. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Not sure about the icon setting. Can you not just review your logs routinely? I much prefer that option to blinking icons and pop ups.

Regards,

CrazyM

4. marti

marti Registered Member

The procedure (deleting settings) doesn't seem to work. Now Zone Labs is asking for your OS. If XP, please verify that you were using the Admin account.

Edit: Forget this. The "grayed out" area in check for updates is by design. Words from Zone Labs:

I just heard back from Product Managers.

The ability to turn off the automatic Check For Updates is now only available to paid users (ZA Plus and ZA Pro). ZA users will continue to get updates via the automatic Check For Update feature.

5. Bethrezen

hi

thanks for ya replys so am i correct in assuming that za free updater function in 3.7.098 if supposed to be grayed out and that this has been done by design ? if that is the case then how am i supposed to update za free in the future if both auto and manual update have been grayed out o_O

now I'm really confused o_O coz this seams a lil bone headed to me o_O

help

iv included a lil info below hope it helps

i am using using za free version 3.7.098 on win 98 se i was previously using za free version 2.6.362 and i updated using the built in updater and i installed over 2.6.362 so i wouldn't loose my settings so it wasn't a clean install as i previously stated however now the updater function is none operational both auto and manual update are grayed out

6. marti

marti Registered Member

I thought the update feature was "stuck" on automatic and only the "manual" part was grayed out. That's what I'm hearing from other users.

7. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Bethrezen,

I have not tried the new ZAF, as I am running the ZA+ and like it a lot and don't want to mess it up now that I've finished all my testing with it. But, here is something you can try regarding your question: "...if there is a setting to get the tray icon to blink like it did in 2.6?"

The new ZAF may or may not even support the "Enable System Tray Icon Alerts" feature. And I'm not sure if the user interface even contains the code necessary to support it (like ZA+/ZAP), but, there is a registry key used by ZA to determine whether or not "System Tray Alerts" are enabled...

[hr]REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm]
    "SysTrayAlerts"=dword:00000001[hr]
    You could manually set this key and restart, and see if ZAF now uses the tray alerts icon, or, you could paste the above into a file, such as zaf-alerts-icon.reg, and Merge it into your registry. Worth a try. I doubt it'd cause any problems in any case.

As to Advanced Program Control, to alert regarding exploits like tooleaky, I believe that is a derivative of the overall Program Component Control feature, which is only supported in the pay versions.

LowWaterMark

8. Bethrezen

hi all

well i have confirmed that its not a problem on my end such as a bad install because i did system restore and downloaded zaf 3.7.098 and installed that before i did anything else and the updater is completely disabled both auto and manual update is greyed out so its not a problem on my end this is ZoneLabs doing

so if anyone from team z is around can you please find out WTF is going on and how to fix it

how am i meant to keep my fire wall up to date if the updater has been disabled

if only all fire walls were as easy to use as zaf AARRRGGGG

HELP

9. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

This has been answered in the meantime over here (reply #2). The updater is grey out on purpose and it is set internally to check automatically. So, you don't need to worry about not being alerted to an available update.

Best Wishes,
    LowWaterMark

10. Bethrezen

hi LowWaterMark

thanks for ya speedy reply this clears things up thanks

Dam zone labs well i hope this back fires on them and causes them nothing but aggravation then maybe they will think twice before messing with the little people

well if this is the sort of stunt they pull with the free version removing things and disabling vital protection like the ability to stop exploits like too Leakey and fire hole etc instead of adding then it don't bode well for the pay version

put it like this stunts like this DON'T IMPRESS ME and i certainly wont be buying anything from them because if this is how they treat the free users then i shudder to think how they treat the pay users almost as bad as Lavasoft :mad:

Although i suppose something is better that nothing i guess

i really got to learn how to use rule based firewalls and get something a bit better like look n stop or outpost at least they are reputable companies that don't sneakily remove functions (as if no one is going to notice) and at least they actually provide the necessary protection from exploits like too leakey and fire hole etc

i hope these comments get back to zone labs coz they got one seriously cheesed user here

11. Pretender

Pretender Registered Member

Have you tried the ZA forums:

http://forums.zonelabs.com/zonelabs

bob

Also, the ZA service and support FAQ might help:

http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/support/znalm31FAQMain.jsp

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.