ZA updating question

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by FanJ, Feb 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi,

I guess this question has been asked many times before :oops:

I have to admit that I myself don't use ZA :oops:
    But, if flu permits me, somewhere in the coming days I need to update ZA on friends machines.
    I think I remember me that somehow you could save your existing rules and put them in the updated ZA.
    I rather would like to be sure about this.
    Systems: XP Home.

Sorry for asking the obvious :oops:

Thanks a lot in advance !!!

Cheers, Jan.

2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I believe that ZA detects your existing installation and asks you if you want to do an "upgrade" or "clean" install when you run the install program. If you choose upgrade then it will install the new version and preserve your existing settings and config.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2005
  3. Randy_Bell

Randy_Bell Registered Member

I'm still using ZAP 4.5.594, but I believe the newest version 5.x allows you to save your settings in .XML format.

Actually, for any version of ZA, I think the easiest way to do what you want to do is to just install on top of the old version. When you run the installer, it gives you option to do an "Upgrade" install using your current settings, or a "Clean" install which deletes your old database and starts clean: Choose the first Option, the "Upgrade" install.

If you are wanting to port settings from one PC to another, just zip up the Internet Logs directory {"C:\Windows\Internet Logs"} on the Source-PC and extract its contents into the Internet Logs directory of the Target-PC. If you have, say, WinZip, this is easy: Open My Computer or Windows Explorer, then Rightclick on the Internet Logs folder and select, "WinZip, Add". That will create an "Internet Logs.zip" containing the database which you can then extract to the other PC.

"C:\Windows\Internet Logs" is the default location of ZA's database. HTH ;)

4. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Thanks Kerodo and Randy !!! :D

It are two machines from different friends; well actually both machines are almost the same.
    I need to do some cleaning and maintenance for them.
    And one thing I want to do, is to update their ZA 5.xx to the newest one.

I'll print your postings and surely check again your advices when I'll be on those machines.

Thanks again ! :D
    Cheers, Jan.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.