ZA Spying on me ?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by CloneRanger, Oct 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sm3K3R

Sm3K3R Registered Member

CloneRanger , i live in a country which has as a president a person that "loves" America.
    Since this year ANYTHING that i write or see on the internet it s tracked/recorded ,by law ,tru the ISP and kept for around 6 months.It s the american buildings that generated this.
    So i really don t care what ZA or any other software company tracks down ,i m already exposed when using the internet.My ISP snifs me every day.
    ISP has the obligation to record what you talk on the phone also to avoid terrorism acts :)
    So what s to be said ,what was happening during the comunist system ,when they were using taperecorders, is now made using even better tek ,to protect the world against terrorism they say.
    Either you use the internet and live with the Big Brothers next to you ,either you turn it off :) .

2. fax

fax Registered Member

Incorrect, there was a bug in the software. Nothing more nothing less. An official note was released to explain it. This was with version 6.5, several years ago. We are at 9 (nine) now. We also had a factual test here a couple of years ago due to this boring claims about ZA phoning home and we had the confirmation AGAIN that ZA does NOT call home if configured properly.

So, please stop recalling this case because it has no value anymore and I can only interpret it as trolling (no offence intended).

3. sparviero

sparviero Registered Member

LOL. so, ZA call home or not ? I think you have problem, go from the beginning. :D :D

Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  4. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

ZA: Looooooong ago, various people including Escalader aka ArrowPilot started this Zone Alarm calls home and spies on you thing. May have started earlier, I don't know.
    To date, NOBODY, NOBODY, NOBODY, showed a log of the information sent from their computer.
    A tool as simple as Wireshark could reveal what's sent.
    http://www.wireshark.org/download.html
    Does it?
    Not trusting your security app? Ditch it, go for another (which does the same thing, likely, without much fanfare on the forum). Checks if you have a valid licence, offers updates, etc.

DOD IPs: US Department of Defense. Yes, I am sure that while concentrating on two unfunded wars and trackind terrorists, they have time and energy to spend on your surfing habits. C'mon.
    A router will drop such packets. What's the big deal.

People, get a life. Stop being so paranoid.

There's one thing I don't trust. Windows with 65 thousand vulnerable ports. Microsoft doesn't trust me. They constantly check genuine advantage. Why should I trust them. Still, I use it, because nothing they see is of any consequence to them or me. And I need Windows.

A while back there were concerns that the Sunbelt FW calls home. I provided wireshark information what was sent. Or not. That was the end of the story.

So Fax, do you think if someone provides wireshark info about ZA, this whole boring subject will finally go away, or is it too popular to continue?

5. fax

fax Registered Member

Oooh funny you o_O , ZA call home in many occassions for updates, cloud-database check, HIPS, etc. This can be turned off. Its by DESIGN! You like it? NO? Choose something else :D

6. fax

fax Registered Member

It was already done by Stem here using an external hadware (so better than doing it with wireshark within the PC)... .but it was not enough apparently. It is never enough, every year you will get a post about it.... I thought this year was an exception but sadly it was not. Lets hope for the 2011!!! :gack:

Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
  7. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

To set you straight , 3 years ago I started a learning thread on ZA Pro at the request of Stem.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=989676&postcount=1

The purpose was learning.

During that time the issue came up on this phoning home thing.

If anybody here wants to read that go ahead.

The information is 3 years old so I don't think in the world of IT it can be viewed as current.

If fax says it was a bug and it is fixed I for one have no quarrel with that.

Thanks for posting my alternate email address!

8. fax

fax Registered Member

To avoid misunderstadings. The bug was in 6.5. The thread referred is instead about version 7, that had no bug. In that case the OP most likely did not turn off the virus monitoring. Virus monitroing was (not a feature anymore in recent releases) contacting ZA home as part of the checking. Stem detected no call home with all features OFF :)

Anyway, this will not help to avoid next year another post about the 6.5 bug :( I am not planning to answer anymore... may be someone else could reference this thread to save time! ;)

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  9. Escalader

Well we were on version 7 and ran into the issue.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=992723&postcount=39

But at this stage Fax let's drop it as an "old" debate.

You say ZA has fixed it I accept that since what matters I hope to users that their is no issue now.

If somebody claims this or that about a product let them show the evidence and let someone like a Stem validate it.

I moved on to different tools myself so I'm done with the subject.

If users are concerned they can put all the vendor web sites into PeerBlock or some such tool and track if the product calls the sites. Updates don't count!

10. fax

fax Registered Member

Again and to close this issue. We could not replicate your findings, lets recall Stem post here:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1027192&postcount=222 As a matter of fact the ZA 7 had not bug involved or fix needed. The fix was for version 6.5 :)

First it needs to find a call home concern then remove the tool directly. Blocking a security tool has little benefit and as you experienced causes more issues and misbehaviour.

Fax

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  11. Escalader

12. fax

fax Registered Member

Of course, you're welcome. It does not unfortunately change the end result. It may on the contrary appear as just trolling given that they were posted at an initial stage of discussion (see numbering). Its more or less the same level of misinformation when users keep posting about the ZA 6.5 issue as a current issue. Moreover, it may also sound insulting for some of the users that contributed to that thread. They deserve at least some recognisiton and respect for the time spent in finding an explanation and resolution to some of the issues initially raised that you still sadly don't recognise.

May be there is a logic behind, if someone doesn't like a product or is convinced that there is something deeply wrong in it, no matter what is said or evidenced he/she will always be unhappy about it. :)

If this is the case then be it... and we are all happy again. :thumb:

13. Escalader

Well Fax I fear you will never be happy. :'(

I prefer to let MY thread stand on it's own feet.

You posted many times in that thread and I'm sure many appreciated the effort put in.

As to what I personally recognize or don't fortunately that is not up to you to judge.

At some point I could start another ZA learning thread for the latest iteration of that product. It would have to be on Windows 7 and 64 bit.

But rather than wait for me why don't you start a ZA thread yourself?

14. fax

fax Registered Member

:eek: Nooo please :eek:
    [Just kidding... LOL :D ]

Probably better to wait for the next release... will be out sometime next year....

P.S. And I really hope the next learning thread will be really about learning and not about how to block ZA communications/licensing or arguing about IPs.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
  15. act8192

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

16. act8192

...and if rules are mentioned, I'd hope they'd be visible to the readers, instead of going private and then discussing what we couldn't see, therefore couldn't learn from, for instance, the old Kerio learning thread.

17. Escalader

Are you saying these learning threads have been of no value to you?

Is your complaint about my PM's to say Stem and others?

I have used and will continue to use PM's IF I have to display id data pointing straight to my personal setup or personal information to solve a problem.

You should do the same.

I always post a rule when I can.

However, that all said why don't you start a LT of your own around your SW FW and then we can all plunge in and help.

What FW are you using at the moment?

18. Escalader

Fax:

Here is link for you and yours on ZA.

There are some unpleasant statements here about ZA and it's history. You may want to correct this history as I fear it may be even more widely viewed than this thread!:'(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZoneAlarm

19. fax

fax Registered Member

I wonder how far you want to hijack this thread from its original purpose (key logger false positive + 6.5 bug) o_O

There is nothing wrong in the link you provide they just highlight the questionable marketing tactics of last September. The issue was already discussed in here: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=282307.

May be you want to try to discuss it in the right place or open a new thread? ~removed comment~

Thanks,
    Fax

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2010
  20. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Rather than going in circle. Thank you all

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.