ZA disabling itself at startup

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by kevvyb2005, May 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kevvyb2005

kevvyb2005 Registered Member

I have not updated zonealarm for some time because this happened after I updated somwhere around v 55.094.000. Sure enough when I decided to update again today (some months later), each time I set ZA to run at startup it then disables itself for next startup. So, I know it was not to do with a buggy version update. I will try a clean install again but I did this last time and it didn't work either which is why I gave up. I am running Adaware with adwatch, MS anti-spyware and ESET NOD32 all of which I stop before the new instalation.

I have installed same version of ZA on laptop and that starts up okay each time so it's something about config on my desktop. In terms of software I have different virus scanners - NOD32 ESET on desktop where I am getting the problem and AVG on the laptop where I am not. Otherwise a lot of the same software. Is there more to do to properly shut down programs than disabling in system tray before installing/upgrading?

Anyone heard of ESET NOD32 causing this somehow?

Can I set the run at startup value directly in the registry to see if that does it? If so could someone direct me to the correct key?

Can anyone shed any light?

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Hi kevvyb2005, welcome to Wilders.

Hi have seen ZoneAlarm affect winsock many many times.

I would suggest repairing Winsock, then repair IMON; see post number 40 HERE

This should resolve your problem.

Cheers :D

3. kevvyb2005

hey thanks for that qucik reply will give it a go and post back

4. kevvyb2005

Re: ZA disabling itself at startup Ditch it

Have now discovered that ZA free v6 has removed the passlock feature, I think making this no better than the native windows firewall. In addition it is preventing installation of older versions unless on registry prior to uninstallation of 6.

In process of working through all this having uninstalled v6 I was also locked out of internet via my router because the uninstalltion of v6 was somehow preventing the detection of prxy settings automatically. Manually cleaning registry of all Zonelabs/ZoneAlarm entries got my browser to detect proxy settings again.

I along with many others (see ZA Forums - scroll down) need another firewall having been very happy with ZA free for years. Any suggestions.

http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/board/message?board.id=inst&message.id=48879

5. Blackspear

I use Look n Stop which I find very smooth, and support is right here on this website.

6. kevvyb2005

Thanks for that will give it a look.

Just for record system now owrking like a dream again. ZA 5.094.000 installed on previous sysimage and passlock and run at startup working perfectly. Will keep until I decide what to do.

I have also ditched (as I said) spybot because of irritating bugs and also 'Microsoft AntiSpyware' now windows defender which MS seem to have f**cked up royally.

What antispyware do you use if any? I think SpywareGuard might have been responsible for the startup entries I could not remove so have now uninstalled. But maybe it was doing a good job very quietly and with no bugs!

7. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

Just some info : I've never ever had this using nod & za on one of my pc's.
    It has worked flawless since day 1.

8. kevvyb2005

Interesting. Just as it hasn't caused problems on my laptop. But it certainly has on my desktop along with many others it seems or else it's a massive conicidence that we are all getting the same scenarios develop in relation to the same program.

Do you run the latest version of ZA free?

9. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

Yep, I always upgrade firewalls to the lates version.

10. Blackspear

I have only ever come across it twice where uninstalling ZA was an absolute nightmare, it was almost format time, however in saying this, this is not the norm, ZA Free has been a brilliant firewall for hundreds and hundreds of my clients, and for myself in the past (now using LnS).

11. SoCalReviews

SoCalReviews Registered Member

Go to the ZoneLabs user forum site under installation and upgrade. Post your question there and I am sure that you can get another answer to help solve your ZA problems. Many people use the latest ZA with NOD32 with no problems at all. Just from what you posted here it sounds like your previous version of ZA was not properly uninstalled before installing the new version. One possible quick fix is to see if you have multiple entries of zlclient.exe in your msconfig startup menu and if you do then simply uncheck the older duplicate entry which was not properly removed. I have used ZA Pro since version 2.6 and I have upgraded with every version since then. The more recent version 6.x series has had some issues with automatically uninstalling the older version during the upgrade. There is a somewhat tedious but effective manual clean uninstall process that is posted in the user forum that works perfectly. If you had any version 5.x or lower installed before it is highly recommended to follow those special instructions before installing the newer 6.x version. I think that the latest 6.1.744.001 is the best version once you get it installed ok. You will want to turn off or disable any other security software, antivirus, antispyware, etc. before uninstalling or installing ZA since those programs can prevent the removal or the installation of ZA files.

Last edited: May 22, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.