ZA: Alot of attacks at port 137

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by maes, Jul 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DolfTraanberg

DolfTraanberg Registered Member

hi thehulky1, and welcome

I don't know ik I understand you correctly, but if I see the origin of all those IP's, then they come from all over the world, and I'm sure my ISP isn't THAT big :D

2. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Don't know how it is with you guys, but at the moment i have more port 17300 scans then ever from everywhere in the world, some 500 today already.
    17300 is default for the RAT: Kuang2 The Virus
    Had them each days, around 10/day, but never this many!

3. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

I'm getting more 17300's than usual, too, but, not that many. I'll tell you this, the new upsurge in TCP port 135 (based on the new RPC exploits, I imagine) are the most frequent thing I'm seeing since yesterday.

4. DolfTraanberg

Are those packets UDP or TCP?
    Dolf

5. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

The upsurge I'm seeing is in TCP port 135 connection attempts. This is where Microsoft's DCOM RPC interface is accessed, and where the recently discovered vulnerabilities are located. See this CERT Advisory:

http://www.cert.org/advisories/CA-2003-19.html

6. DolfTraanberg

7. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

I'm at around 900 now for 17300 scans today, is this really the one i wrote above or are there more using that port today? Lots from Asia.
    I'll put my TDS TCP Port Listen on that port to see what happens.....

8. Dan Perez

Dan Perez Retired Moderator

Hi Jooske,

I haven't heard of anything new using 17300 but I have noted previous surges for Kuang2 so it is probably just another surge.

Dan

9. Grendel

Grendel Registered Member

I noticed a 17300 spike on July 26 and a lesser spike July 30. Mostly Asia. But July 26 was the biggest, and that was 12 in all. Geez...nobody wants to go after my 17300 :) :) :).

10. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

No for mine neither since around 2 this morning, i even open the gates and have in TDS > Network > TCP Port Listen wide open for them, acting as a server, last night had replies each few seconds, not nothing in several minutes, so they are no longer interested!
    Or asleep.
    The scans came really from everywhere in the world, did not see a specific pattern although many from Asiatic countries.
    On Packestorm it showed a nice peak as well, and also tehre only mentioned the kuan2 virus, so not sure what was this amount yesterday. Over 1100 yeseterday and some 100 after midnight, now it's all silent and it's just thje regular many 137 again.

11. DolfTraanberg

When you open the ports, then there will be no log then, because you don't block them.

Or am I missing something o_O

12. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

TCP Port listen you can give server rights, so it acts as a server (emulated of course) and IPs trying to connect you see displayed in that window.
    Last night i caught several every few seconds.
    When you keep silent you just see them connect and close, but if you react in any way in that window you get a reply from them, a data packet. Still innocent, as you're not really infected so it can't do nothing. But to make sure best after that close the connection anyway.
    Of course i tried a few times reacting on them and got different filenames which are not on my system each time, so the connections were dropped anyway.
    In the fw log is nothing or it should be my own backtraces where i did take that trouble.

Since 2 this morning (so 12 hours now) still none on that port even when i open the listening function, and deep scanning doesn't show me being infected, so maybe the ISP closed that port out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.