YUMI and directly-bootable ISOs

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Brandonn2010, Oct 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

Sometimes when I go to try a distro on a YUMI multiboot USB, it will not be listed, so I have to make it a directly-bootable ISO. However, most of the time, when booting, it will give an error saying it must be in one contiguous disk space. This never happens with listed ISOs. Is there something in the menu file on the USB to make it ignore or go past this?

For example, I wanted to try GNOME Ubuntu 13.10, but it wasn't listed in YUMI, so I made it a directly bootable ISO. This is its menu entry:

# Modify the following entry if it does not boot
    title Boot ubuntu-gnome-13.10-desktop-i386.iso
    find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /multiboot/ISOS/ubuntu-gnome-13.10-desktop-i386.iso
    map --heads=0 --sectors-per-track=0 /multiboot/ISOS/ubuntu-gnome-13.10-desktop-i386.iso (hd32)
    map --hook
    chainloader (hd32)

Yet I got the contiguous disk space error. I know there is a program to defragment ISOs, but I don't want to wear my USB, and it doesn't seem like it should be necessary.

2. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

3. SteveSi

SteveSi Registered Member

Even if you run WinContig to defrag the ISO it won't boot fully. You can't boot most linux ISOs like this. You either need to use kernel + initrd commands and cheat codes or the partnew trick that Easy2Boot uses which will boot just about any linux ISO.

4. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I don't have the energy to try right now so I'm posting so I'll find it later. Thanks all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.