YouTube Downloader Legality Question

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Brandonn2010, Oct 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Yeah, Hungry's a big fan of (a certain) corporation. ;)

2. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Don't you know I'm on the payroll?

50c/post.

3. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

They should pay you more for all the wonga that they make!

4. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

Well I'm still not sure. Many of you act like it would just hurt greedy record labels, but the bands would still be losing out on some money, granted I could buy the songs when I have more money in the future.

5. Hungry Man

The people who pirate media are usually the ones who wouldn't be buying it anyways.

But that's besides the point.

Youtube provides the content youtube sets the terms. Don't like their terms? Use another website.

6. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Actually, no, they don't lose out on money almost all of the time. Here, the following is long, but very thorough:http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20100712/23482610186.shtml

As I said, they make the money from concerts and merch.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  7. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

And Youtube would have to shut down in order to stop people, and Google knows it, so, there ya go, Mr. Corporate Champion :D

8. Hungry Man

I'm no corporate champion. I believe that both users and corporations have rights.

Anyways, Youtube does "shut down" every video that violates copyright. And as you said, they expect some people to download/ distribute.

9. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

They can't keep up with what is posted to Youtube, actually. Otherwise, the site wouldn't have near as much content as it does. For every "violating", say, music video that is posted there and taken down, there are about 100 copies or slightly different versions on the site someplace. They don't stand a chance, really, except for the bloody, violent clips or ones with very sexual content.

As for the champion remark, as always, just having some fun with you ;)

10. Hungry Man

Oh, of course taking them down doesn't work in the sense that they get every one. They get a few. But they are obligated to take them down and they will take down copyrighted material if it's reported/ they see it.

Google search has had this same issue. They have been criticized for linking to pirated material when people search for music etc.

11. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Heh, I imagine one of the first things that anti-piracy bill will go after are the massive amounts of indexes to be found with a little Google hacking ;)

12. Hungry Man

Which is exactly why the bill can't pass as-is. Companies like search engines wouldn't be able to function.

13. guest

guest Guest

What happened to violating them and simply don't give a....... ? :D

Ok I'm trolling you with this, I confess.

14. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Nothing happened to it..I happily continue doing so :D But yes, back to the real topic, lol.

@HungryMan: I agree. The bill being tossed around now could very easily kill search engines, which, of course, would lead to the Internet not being so useful.

15. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

And, that's the reality of life. Those who don't agree with the terms, can really opt for two scenarios: Don't use the service... or ignore the terms. *cough*

Not really. I don't know how it happens in other countries (but most labels are everywhere, so it must be practically the same situation), but in here you pay ~ €20,00 for a music CD. From this €20, musicians will only get €2,00. The production of a CD costs around (not even close to) €1,00.

Record labels need to realize this business model doesn't work and hasn't been working for ages.

I don't know about you, but when I want to buy a music CD, it must be really good. Really good, and not just 1 great music out of 12/13 tracks. That's what generally happens - 1 great music out of 13. Now, who's actually stealing? :argh:

Anyway, I don't have any other mean to listen to the music, other than downloading the musics first (shame on me :D), and preferably from Myspace. :D I got a low speed Internet connection, and in no way I'll be waiting for the musics to load and only then be able to listen. No, I fetch them first and listen to them later. :blink:

If I happen to like the musics, I'll buy the CD, because a format other than WAV or other lossless format like FLAC, simply sucks, and that includes MP3 format. I enjoy listening to a great sound. So, if the musics are great, it pays off to buy the CD.

If I just like one or two musics, well... I keep the musics and I won't waste my money on 11 or 12 musics I won't be listening to.

16. Hungry Man

Search engines are at the very heart of the internet. And there are huge companies (Microsoft, Google) behind them, both with plenty of government influence.

The bill will definitely not be passing as-is.

17. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

as they say might makes right.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.