youtube backgrounds (gettin rid of them)

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by chrome_sturmen, Jun 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

anyway, so it's late late friday night, i'm having a beer or 2, and watching a music video on youtube by Heart - What about love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE5GGMhmo-M&ob=av2e

I notice as i'm watching, that there's a big background for... justin beiber with the accompanying advertisements for his latest videos

being a man of 37, and watching a Heart video, i imagine it could be easily understood why i would not want to see such advertisements, as obviously the 2 elements have positively nothing to do with one another and do not mesh in any way...

so then, how could i possibly strip the backgrounds from youtube?

much thanks!*puppy*

2. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Hi, i didn't watch it all, but i didn't see any JB ads. in the 30 or so seconds i viewed it. Either they came afterwards, or it "might" due to my having cookies disabled & Noscript etc tightly set up. Of course i always have to allow some JavaScript, & occasionally Iframes, but only just enough to view vids on YT, & then only temporally ;)

3. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

What browser are you using as that will determine the approach that might help reduce the ads displayed

4. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

At what time does JB show up?

Okay, saw what you mean. Just view in full screen!
    Alternatively, you could tweak the page background with css.

AdBlock Plus threw up this:
    http://i3.ytimg.com/u/2kTZB_yeYgdAg4wP2tEryA/new_watch_background.jpg?v=4fc8f12b

So you could just have "new_watch_background.jpg" in your block list?

I've tweaked my YouTube to a full black page except for the video area (and of course text and links).

Last edited: Jun 2, 2012
  5. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

I saw no ads. Are you running Adblock Plus?

6. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

JB's part of the background jpg image. A different way of advertising :D Visible all through the video unless one goes full screen.

7. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I tried this link in several browsers. Only in Maxthon 3 was there no way I could avoid seeing JB's irritating boat race. Much to my chagrin. SeaMonkey & Opera managed to black-out the offending Bieber. Safari's (& its YouTube adblocking extension) was the cleanest & even the blacked-out space was absent. It was worth waiting for Safari to launch (in slow motion as usual), of course then everything went haywire (as usual), I'd forgotten that it is difficult to launch a page from the runbar in Safari & then, of course, Safari inevitably froze up (as usual), then froze my computer (as usual), then finally Safari crashed letting me able to use my notebook once more (as usual). I don't know why I don't uninstall it. It's great for watching ad-free YouTube videos though! (When it works)

8. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I couldn't even get this link to open up in Chrome. I just went to Youtube, clicked the first link I saw for the video (great group, great song) and never once did that little heathen show his mug. I know the type of advertising you are speaking of though, one day PCWorld, TMZ and Wired will have a billboard in the background, the next day it won't.

Ad-blocking isn't perfect, if the ad changes servers, you may find yourself seeing an ad that you didn't see yesterday. If they're going to put up an ad for Beiber, they should show him walking into the glass that he did a couple of days ago...for the second time :D

9. chrome_sturmen

changing from author mode to user mode in opera takes care of it, it changes the page to just the video and the rest of the page text.

also i think there's a proxomitron filter that fixes it. in any case, my issue is resolved, thanks gents :ninja:

10. chrome_sturmen

they really ought to try to at least have a background that is somewhat cohesive with the current content being viewed if applicable, although maybe that would take an unrealistic amount of work.

i can't understand why everything in life has to have huge advertisements for what's currently popular thrown in your face, it's just rude. i swear if i moved to jupiter, there would be someone (or something) floating along in a spacesuit, trying to sell me something..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.