Your opinion of Online Armor Personal Firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by ratchet, Nov 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. subset

subset Registered Member

Why is "Install mode" so important?
    I always use the "Learning mode" for installations and updates, the only thing left to do is to delete some rules or trust some apps afterwards, "my pending files" in OA Free.

Cheers

2. pitzelberger

pitzelberger Registered Member

"delete some rules"

I guess that can be a problem for the not so experienced or lazy users!?!

3. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

There's no need to delete the rules, really. Although, for tidy up I suppose that we could write something to trim this down automatically from time to time

4. pitzelberger

But how if I am installing something in learning mode, and surfing at the same time in the internet. Then I might have to check afterwards that a not a bad application sneaked into my system and got some rules auto-created.

Or am I wrong?

5. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

That wasn't the point I was making - the point I was making was that a few extra rules don't cause much of a problem.

Nevertheless, I would not recommend learning mode as a replacement for install mode if you're going to run around doing other things at the same time because as you correctly point out - bad behaviours can be learned too.

It's the same reason I don't recommend programs that do uninstalls (total uninstall was one that I played with) because you never know whats going to get removed if you don't know what else happens during the install process.

Certainly, some of the support issues we have had are caused by programs like this.

Mike

6. pitzelberger

So better just to switch HIPS of during installation? --- something bad may sneak in, but at least it does not get any rules created and next time it wants to run I get a popup. Or not? (Excluding the worst case, i.e. an application that take already control over my security suite.)

The problem why I thought I need an install mode is because I am working with application like "cygwin" or "miktex-latex". They are frequently updated and they contain a lot of exe and dll files --- just to many to confirm every during installation. Later I might just use a small fraction of these files at a time, so no problem to confirm each separately at that point; but not during installation o_O

7. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

In your case, if you're getting too many prompts, the paid version might be best for you. You can exclude the directory, or use install mode.

8. pitzelberger

Thanks, but I am not so much into security. I am just playing with free apps :cool:

9. Lundholm

Lundholm Registered Member

Being a fearless installer is a cool game. And when you get bored, you play russian roulette with yourself? ;)

10. pitzelberger

but I am running my free security suite here.

I just meant, I like to play with apps: comodo, OA, etc. I guess they all protect me well.
    And it is a lot of fun: always having the newest version, setting it up correctly, seeing what other people have to say, etc ... and it is free!

if it would be for my business, sure I would pay for a good service ...

11. subset

subset Registered Member

Hi,

I am sorry that I was unprecise with "delete some rules", what I meant were especially the leftovers in the temporary folder after installations and updates.
    I delete this files periodically and so it's easy to see in OA Programs that there are dead links.
    But it is not necessary to delete them, it's just for making the ruleset smaller.

Cheers

12. Dieselman

Dieselman Registered Member

Just uninstalled permanently. Every time you update or patch a program you get more pop ups. " A trusted program has changed" . No kidding it changed I was the one who did it. :gack:

13. MaB69

MaB69 Registered Member

:eek: :blink:

If you install a firewall and/or HIPS that doesn't warn about a changed program, you can uninstall it too.
    It's Firewall/HIPS job to warns you about any checksum change in a program

MaB

14. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

Exactly. Heck, even Kerio 2 keeps MD5 hashes and if it detects that the application's exe has changed,it asks you if you want to apply the existing rules for the changed exe. And Kerio 2 is something like 6 years old.

It would be unthinkable for a current firewall with integrated HIPS to ignore changes in an application. How would it understand the difference with malware code injection?

15. OHM

OHM Guest

My opinion is that OA should support Vista as soon as possible.
    Just my obsession to try it. ;)

16. Dieselman

I understand but when your a gamer such as myself and you patch a game like WOW<COD4,BF2,TF2,HL2 you dont need a firewall telling you that a trusted program changed when you know you were the one who changed it. I have never seen or heard of a spyware/trojan changing any game files. Yes changing your browser but thats different. All my pings are lower with Online Armor also.

17. Dieselman

I think maybe there is an option to change this. Not sure. I went somwhere else for my firewall needs.

18. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Yes Dieselman, we know you play games. But all any software can do is look at whether the file has changed. We also know you are now not happy with Online Armor. Fine, it only takes one post to say that. Hopefully you will find something that meets your needs.

Pete

19. Dieselman

This is an opinion post and everybody has there right to an opinion. Correct. Relax my friend.

20. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

Dieselman, my friendly advice is : Don't fight it. You said it yourself:

"I always come back to ZA".
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=197219

I think that by now it is safe to say, that you should stay with ZA. It's useless to try over and over again the same firewalls that you have already said they don't satisfy your needs.

21. Dieselman

I know what I said but in another thread ZA is now screwing up my Logitech gaming devices. Went to Comodo.

22. Victek

Victek Registered Member

You're correct that the notification is unnecessary because you caused the change, but how can the firewall know? You have to tell it somehow.

23. Dieselman

Comodo or any other firewall never asked me this. If a program is trusted then it should stay trusted.

24. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Unless it changes, and unless there is an install or learning type mode, how does it know you changed it.

25. Dieselman

I understand Peter but what I mean is that it should not apply to trusted program like games. A firewall should know and learn that a program that you clearly marked as trusted should basically stay trusted. New program should set off bells and whistles. This is just my opinion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.