Your next bank card will have a fingerprint scanner built-in

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Rasheed187, Jul 21, 2018.

1. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Actually is more than that... way more....
    With the cellphones they know our exact location 24h/day.
    With card payments they know our spending habits, and our movements. What we bought, where we bought it, when we bought it, the frequency that we buy staff, alimentary, etc. and they know the 90-95% of our daily life.
    Add to the above the tracking that is happening on the net; and if you own a smart tv that is connected and if you have pay IPTV or VOD, they know your viewing habbits; with smart home appliances they even have a vague idea of your movements inside your house.

Some people don't mind all this surveillance. Some other people on the other hand don't like to be stalked 24/7.

2. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Luckily I almost never use my smartphone and also stay away from smart home appliances, because it's indeed getting out of hand. But I really don't care about payments, banks know everything about our financial situation anyway, should we stop using banks?

But to get back at the topic, I hope this fingerprint scanner will also work when making wireless transactions, this would make your card entirely useless to thieves. Because currently you can pay up to 50 euro a day without PIN wirelessly, over here in Holland.

3. pandlouk

Didn't say that you should stop using banks. But I see no reason to let the bank (or anyone else) to know where,when and how you spend your money. Why should the bank, know the coffee shop you visited saturday morning, the market that you went afterwords to buy vegetables, and the pizza that you ordered saturday evening while renting that film?
    This profiling can become very dangerous if it falls in the wrong hands. (e.g. if a criminal somehow gets those records he has a very accurate idea of your movements and when is the best time to pay a visit at your house)
    The fingerprint scanner solves nothing. It's only purpose is to have more control over you. (e.g. you cannot lend the card to your wife or your kids to withdraw some money).
    As for the wireless transactions you can limit the amount of money with a simple phonecall to your card issuer.

4. Rasheed187

What do you mean it solves nothing, I just told you what it would solve. It would make creditcards/PIN-cards totally useless to thieves! And I don't believe you can limit the amount in Holland at the moment. So a thief can still make purchases up to 25 euro per store, with a total of 50 euro. Also, a cashless society would stop robbers, every week restaurants and supermarkets are still getting robbed purely for cash, and this can be very traumatic for employees. But I guess you guys don't care about this. :rolleyes:

5. pandlouk

Well the same result would have eliminating the wireless transactions and/or asking the id of the buyer when accepting a credit card payment.
    Wow... this is a new one to me. So you are saying that the banks/goverments push versus a cashless society for the shake of the poor employes of restoraunts, supermarkets, etc...o_O

6. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I pray you are correct & this totalitarian evolution holds off for my lifetime as well. This **** is getting crazier & crazier.

7. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

No choice but to keep my hand in this same cookie jar. There's a point where for the sake of technology improvement that although on the surface might appear more proactive-protective, some of us throwbacks get a sour gut feeling that's not exactly where we want or need to be. It is indeed crazy.

8. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

And crazier & crazier. And clearer & clearer.

9. Rasheed187

10. Rasheed187

11. Rasheed187

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.