Your ISP is Going to Spy on You Starting July 12, 2012

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by lotuseclat79, Mar 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

2. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

It's really not all that different from what they can do already..it's simply that most ISPs never really wanted to. As hardcore as these two organizations want to get about it, they aren't going to stop anything. Everything they have ever tried has been either bypassed or embarrassed them into stopping.

ISPs are not required by law to report to these people like some sort of parolee. And, as the article stated (though they sure limited the available options), there are ways around it.

3. happyyarou666

happyyarou666 Registered Member

and who cares about this again?

we all have been handling our isps in this respect for the past years , at least i have , two words vpn & tor ;)

4. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Which will become increasingly useless, but fine for keeping the RIAA and MPAA out until the government itself puts monitoring rooms in every ISP center instead of a select few. Also, once the following happens, your ISP spying will be literally nothing http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/03/ff_nsadatacenter/.

5. happyyarou666

once the following happens ill stop using the internet alltogether or move far away from the US even further away than i already am xD, then all those billions of taxmoney wasted for the ultra godlike datacenter ~ Snipped as per TOS ~ , excellent read thou,very intriguing i admit, nothing better to get your daily dose of paranoia goin ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2012
  6. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Don't worry, if it works Stateside, the rest of the world will no doubt implement it sooner or later.

7. happyyarou666

should that happen then i sure as hell will stop using pc's alltogether and back to the good old pen and paper , using smoke signals to phone home and build a shack up in the mountains xD

p.s: till the rest of the world would implement it thou i would most likely be dead and the following generation already using aes 5000 and truecrypt V.20 wich would eventually stop the NSA's funding due to too much money being wasted or of course another tax raise woot! , so much for america being the land of the free , its becoming more and more obvious that its the exact opposite ;)

8. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

There are some points here:
    1) First of all, this change will happen in US only, at least for now. There are talks in EU about this kind of monitoring, and there are countries like France that already have a "3 strikes" policy, but for now the effects are limited. As Daveski17 said though, it might very easily spread (even if it doesn't work, I might add :) ).
    2) It is wise to always treat your ISP as hostile. After all, it has the ability to view all your traffic, and right now people assume that they won't abuse that...

9. happyyarou666

exactly what i was saying always treat your isp as hostile and setup appropriate countermeasures ;)

love em comments over at wired.com thou xD

p.s: of course the europeans always copy the stupid crap from americans no surprise there , but usually fail in implementing it xD, so all in all im not too concerned tbh ;)

10. EncryptedBytes

EncryptedBytes Registered Member

I would like to point out some wrong conclusions in this article, its cited source do not colaborate its claims:

The source the article linked to states:

Basically CAD notices. And I can find no evidence of the top 200 website claim.:blink:

Without all the fluff it simply seems ISPs will have to start enforcing their current policies regarding copyright. I know Comcast and Cox cable already have a 3 strike policy in place, and throttle torrent traffic. Most ISPs have been doing this for some time.

I would also like to correct 2 things on the link provided:

A SOCKS proxy is basically pumping your web traffic through an SSH tunnel. You still need to either own the box at the other end or know someone or some entity who does. This will not really protect you from an ISP rather maybe surfing the internet on an untrusted LAN/WAN only.

Tor is not a privacy centered service it is for anonymity, all your traffic can be sniffed at the exit node. It will protect you from your ISP though is not focused on confidentiality.

/End of my nit picking:D

11. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

By then, maybe this will be up:

-https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-talk/2012-March/023615.html

12. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

Actually, if you own a box somewhere else and you use a SSH tunnel, you are protected from your ISP. That doesn't mean nobody sees your traffic, or that you can't be identified, it just means that your ISP sees encrypted traffic, and it might be enough in case of deep packet inspection. (Of course, owning a box somewhere else, where you can do what you want it's another matter :) ).

13. mirimir

Right. And you only want to access that box via VPNs (plus Tor, maybe) ;)

I can't imagine using a hosted server just to SSH through, or to run a private VPN. There's no crowding, unless you have other users, and then they'll want support (even if it's free).

14. nikanthpromod

nikanthpromod Registered Member

15. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

How do you think a VPN is going to be come useless?

Also kiddies, start using Usenet if you like to download goodies, this is a lot more complicated going through a Usenet provider then just P2P straight off your computer with like uTorrent...

16. syncmaster913n

syncmaster913n Registered Member

I second this question. If anything, it would become more useful.

17. mirimir

How about "necessary"? My ISPs have been spying on me from the start, when they were part of state security operations :( It was getting better here -- for a while, anyway ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.