Your favourite second choice Web Browser

Discussion in 'polls' started by aigle, Mar 18, 2006.

?

Your favourite second choice Web Browser

1. IE

23 vote(s)
    24.0%
  2. Opera

27 vote(s)
    28.1%
  3. Firefox

27 vote(s)
    28.1%
  4. Avant

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  5. Maxthon

4 vote(s)
    4.2%
  6. Others( please write)

14 vote(s)
    14.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Pretty dissappointing as the site is censored by my proxy server. Can,t test, may be others can tel what are their results?

2. Carver

Carver Registered Member

3. ~*Nat*~

~*Nat*~ Registered Member

Firefox is my favorite. But unfortunately slow, slow, slow...and freezes on my pc too often. :(

So then I use my other fav. Opera ! :)

Nice, light and fast. I miss some of the extensions of FF though.

4. Arup

Arup Guest

Opera for primary,Maxthon for secondary here.

5. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I tried it. Don,t think that it can be very much objective, gave mixed results but opera is fastest. FF and IE equal or FF faster, but of course FF is safer.
    Currently I am trying to use Opera mainly, the best thing in it is that you don,t need to install a lot of extensions to work. Opear has many built in functions by default but yet takes less resources, has a very neat and clean look by default and is fatest. I am realy impressed.
    FF extensions sometimes are buggy and become annoying. But still I am more used to with it.

6. Security Freak

Security Freak Registered Member

the one you use sometimes for updating your machine,or maybe you never run an update and you download them in third party pages.

7. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

I.E. backup and specificlly designated tasks only.

Firefox is browser of first choice.

8. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

I use Opera as my first and onnly choice, unless someone knows of another browser that is worth checking out I wont be looking into a second browser of choice.
    FWIW I downloaded FireFox a couple of nights ago and after playing around with the browser I immediately removed FF.
    The last time I was a regular user of this web browser was about 3-4 years ago.
    What has happend to FF?

9. aigle

aigle Registered Member

What was bad in it especially.

10. crookit

crookit Registered Member

1) Firefox

2) Opera

11. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

First thing was how slow it was, it wasnt like that when I was a regular FF user and I was on a much older computer at the time, I just got this computer I'm now using about a month ago.
    The same exact websites that I go to using Opera were loading much slower using FF.
    Then I checked out the extensions, the plug ins and the themes and I was amazed at the amount of extras that FF had put into their program compared to about 3-4 years ago.
    Is there really a reason for all of it?
    Seems to make the browser more "buggy".
    I saw the extension "No Script" and that other one I can't recall the name of it but it is supposed to make FF faster.
    I don't even use everything thats available on Opera so I know for a fact I'm not going to use those extensions on FF
    When it all comes down to it, I like to surf the web lightly, and I don't need a program or web browser with a dozen or more extensions to that.

12. Meltdown

Meltdown Registered Member

From what you say about Firefox, K-Meleon might you suit as a second browser. Like Firefox, it uses the Gecko engine, but is much lighter. I run it as my main browser, with Windows XP, but it also runs well on older computers - I installed on a friend's Win98, Pentium II 350 MHz system, and it was just as speedy as on my PC. It's highly configurable, but many options - for instance, moving buttons on the toolbars - can only been implemented by editing text files, so there's a slight learning curve. IMO the time invested into tweaking it pays off.

* edit - Hell, I sound like a shill. :D

13. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I agree opera is faster but not too much difference noted by me( I use dial up).

To get many functions/ options which come in Opera by default, u need many extensions in FF( again a plus point for Opera). The extensions can be buggy but not all, u have to mtey. I use 10 or more without any problems.
    And regarding, the use of other functions/ extensions from browser, it,s just a matter of personal liking, to me it,s a plus point, rather than a disadvantage.
    With IE my surfing was never so easy and interesting until I used FF and Opera.

14. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

I agree it is a personal liking.
    So many people still prefer FF as their browser of choice and will see it no other way, which to me is not a problem at all.
    When I tell people I use Opera I get responses like "Opera?" like they've never heard of it.

15. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Opera is really fantastic. To be true, it,s the best browser there. It has so many functions by default that u need dozens of extensions in FF to do all that. And I like its clean and neet look the most, really smart.
    I guess if Opera was free from beginning, it might be more popular than firefox.

16. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

I always wanted to try Firefox but have never installed it - would be more encouraged to try if the reports on a slow browser + the memory leak 'feature' were not prevelant. I have it downloaded each time and then read posts about the slow factor :(
    I always focus on posts related to FF and would seriously consider a test run if only the browser wasn't reported a sloooow.

I had Opera (not out of choice but as a test) before it became a free browser - I did not like those ads even though I did not give the browser a chance as it didn't help with the issue I had at that time.
    When Opera had the license giveaway + the encouragement given by Eldar I decided to try Opera again. I must admit the first while was love/hate but now I really do like the browser and can't wait for Opera 9 to be out of beta :) cookie handling was tedious.

I agree more would be using Opera if it had been free sooner and think Firefox is highly rated due to the fact users can add extensions - have never had this so I don't miss it in Opera (although an easy to use ad. filter would be nice) my current firewall filters ads. but I may be installing a new firewall without this.

If I ever did install FF I don't think I would have endless extensions as this is when I feel FF encouters conflicts/crashes.

I only use IE for essential things otherwise I am mainly using Opera.
    I wonder if the search for alternatives will be curtailed when IE7 is out of beta (doubt it will give much more apart from the fact it will be tabbed - at last)
    At least I can use tabs for the essential IE use then and not need Avant (old version).

17. aigle

aigle Registered Member

U can,t know unless u try it. If u don,t like there is always uninstall option.

For me its, nothing but IE 6 plus tabs. Very poor work compared to Opera and FF!

18. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

I'm trying K-Meleon now, it definitley has to be configured to your liking.
    It's fast, faster than FF but now I'm trying to figure out how to use this web browser on more than one user account.

Any K-Meleon users know how to use this browser under more than one user account?
    I went into the program files and loaded the program for my wife but what happens is I end up getting all of my settings installed instead of the default settings for K-Meleon.
    Is this program even capable of having more than one user on the same PC?

19. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

Never mind I found the answer to the question that I was looking for

20. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I tried it for only few hours or less and uninstalled. First I did not realize so significan spped difference. Secondly UI not so nice. And finally difficult to configure. Opera and FF are enough with IE sometimes.

21. Meltdown

Meltdown Registered Member

Agreed. Despite K-Meleon's reputation as a speed demon, I find rendering speeds in KM, Opera and Firefox all about the same. Where it does have the edge over Firefox is in launch time, especially on older PCs.

Also lower memory use than Firefox, comparable with Opera on my system.

But all three are good browsers, IMO.

22. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Firefox has the longets delay to lauch, the only thing i hate in it.

23. stalker

stalker Registered Member

Well, I use Firefox as my main browser of choice, while I also use IE. I use IE mostly for those sites that I visit only once, since I placed it's "Temporary Internet Files" directory (and "Cookies" and "History" too) to my RAM drive. So it's completely gone on each reboot/shutdown; btw. if anyone is maybe interested, please read the "THE RAM DRIVE/DISK PRINCIPLE" entry on my home-site's principles.html page. But IE is certainly not a "favourite", that's why I voted for the Others( please write) option ...

Finally, it's also true that I occasionally even use Off By One, the most secure web browser ever. For descriptions and download link of Off By One and other security related programs, see my profile at CastleCops: userinfo-satyr.html and look below under "Last 10 Downloads Submitted by satyr:"

best regards, stalker

24. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

I tried OffByOne.
    Good thing is it doesn't use alot of resources, thats a definite plus and its faster than FF without a doubt.
    Its not "the fastest" because it seems to be on the same speed with Opera and K-Meleon, not much of a difference.
    It doesnt promote java script at all so if some pages require it and your using this web browser, forget it, no adjustments for it either.
    There are also some settings that you can configure, No Script, No Frames, load images, animated images, etc., just one click for each and you can enable or disable these settings.
    However, the GUI needs work, not that its a bother for me, but when I went to try the program I thought I had clicked on Adobe Acrobat Reader by mistake, it definitely resembles Adobe.
    There is other work that needs to be done with this program but with some configuration of the web browser most people can work with it.
    This browser doesnt come with all the bells and whistles of other browsers, thats for sure.

25. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

Yeah 0b1 has some disadvantages, but it is great for use on an usb drive since it keeps everything in the RAM, and only saves persistent cookies to the harddrive once the browser is closed. This means less writes and a longer lasting usb drive. In addition, it is only 1.4 MB, which is very small for a browser. That's why I use it for my usb, but nothing else. That duty is for Opera right now.

Alphalutra1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.