Your favorite Linux distro

Discussion in 'polls' started by Mrkvonic, Oct 23, 2006.

?

What's your favorite Linux?

1. SUSE

18 vote(s)
    8.2%
  2. Ubuntu

128 vote(s)
    58.2%
  3. Fedora

22 vote(s)
    10.0%
  4. Gentoo

6 vote(s)
    2.7%
  5. Mandriva

7 vote(s)
    3.2%
  6. Slackware

7 vote(s)
    3.2%
  7. Other

62 vote(s)
    28.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. MusicAddict911

MusicAddict911 Registered Member

Ubuntu is my favorite. :)

2. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Me too. I prefer Debian, it runs well on a test pc, i hope it will run on my laptop.
    More than that, i like what it stands for, what it's made of.

If it runs well, that is going to be my OS for a long time.

3. incursari

incursari Registered Member

I'm trying Ubuntu now since Gentoo 2007.0 giving me a lot of problem.:cool:

4. zorro zorrito

zorro zorrito Registered Member

In this momento I am using UBUNTU, and it is very easy, this is the first time I use a linux distro and works fine, I have used many live cd's and all are very usefull, at least better than windows hahaha.

5. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

OK, Debian seems to need a generic driver for the monitor/graphics (vesa). It booted to a black screen.
    I installed Ubuntu to see the problem, and it ran great. Very easy, Berylized good :) , just can't get the fonts right and change some settings (like the color of the tray).

Erased the Debian partition (i was messing with it without knowing what to do) and you experienced folks know what happened next... GRUB error 22 :p
    Reinstalled Windows, since i only have the Toshiba recovery CD, to recover MBR. I was going to do it anyway, had all the backups.

Now Ubuntu, next Debian somewhere, to see if it works. Then, with time, i'll settle. Debian needs some improvement in auto-detect hardware stuff.

Now if any good people know how to answer the above, fonts and colors. Time to read, yes, when i settle with only one. I don't even know if i stay with GNOME, it doesn't work properly.

6. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

One of the golden rules of Linux:
    Write down your error message exactly. That way, people can help you much faster and more accurately.

Rule no.22: If there are no logs, try to explain in as much detail as possible.

Sub-rule no.22-2: If you have done a lot of tampering, deleted stuff, had errors etc, it makes the tweaking and tracing back much more difficult.

You do not need to reinstall if you damage GRUB. Repairing it is a very simple thing.

Now, it is possible you have not installed your graphic card properly, you might lack some fonts, both, or something else entirely. So more details would work.

Don't forget the Ubuntu forums, where people answer in less than 5 seconds to all problems.

Mrk

7. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Mrk, i would like to know what rescue cd i could use to restore the mbr. Or how to repair GRUB. But what i did was actually something i wanted to do in a long time, reinstall XP. So in the end, that was the answer for me.

My Debian problem is very well described here. A solution is provided in a site i can't recall, it was about laptops and "Linux". Ultimatly it's about using vesa, not ATI drivers.

Anyway, right now, my problems are fonts, well customizing in general. I'll figure it out though. Maybe XFCE is better for me, GNOME isn't that good. resizing windows, columns, etc., it doesn't feel right. I have to aim carefully to do it.. :p

8. Mrkvonic

Hello,

Please visit my site and see the a (sweet) collection and a (cool) list. You will find more than plenty of sources there.

That said, Super Grub Disk can repair MBR.

GRUB, any Linux live CD, plus SystemRescueCD, Super Grub Disk ...

Now, finally, repairing GRUB is absolutely simple. I have written a full tutorial for that one too and will post it soon.

Basically, it's just knowing where your OS is installed. On what partition, in GRUB terms. Even if you do not know, you can find it.

find /boot/grub/stage1

This can return, for example (hd0,3) - first disk, fourth partition or maybe (sd1,1), second disk, second partition.

You tell GRUB where to look for stage 2 (usually where your root is)

root (hdX,Y) or root (sdX,Y)

If not, you'll have to specify where the kernel image is located, but more about that in the tutorial.

Then, you install it in MBR:

setup (hd0)

And then you type boot to boot.... And then once in Linux, you manually edit the GRUB menu with this info.

gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

Replace gedit with any text editor.

Mrk

9. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

I'm rediscovering your website now :) , from inside Ubuntu. I think i'll go for System Rescue CD.
    Final answer: My favourite distributions are Debian and Ubuntu ( / Xubuntu).

10. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

:rolleyes: must be in line with that Ubuntu has the fastest repository thing...anyhoo I checked the the General section @Ubuntu forum, unanswered post range from hours to weeks, there's also many replied to but unsolved post, guess its like all the other Linux forums :D

I liked the old Mrkvonic better, the one who never let hype into the factual picture :D

11. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    :thumb: Same here.

12. Mrkvonic

Hello,
    Please ... I'm still the old same guy running a 8-year old firewall that rocks everything else and playing 500Kb DOS games. If I say I likes Ubuntu, that's because I have posted quite a fair deal in the forums, helped quite a few people, use Ubuntu / Kubuntu extensively. No hype ...
    Mrk

13. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Same here, PCLOS seems to have it all... :)

14. coolbluewater

coolbluewater Registered Member

Seconded :thumb:

For me, there are wayyy too many desktop environments/add-ons to have fun with to pigeonhole having a "favorite" distro.
    That said, I like seeing this thread - it's enabling people to explore the world of Linux, and after experiencing the benefits, also having a positive domino-effect, both through this Forum and by word of mouth.
    My hat's off to the developers who have given their time to make Linux more user-friendly for newcomers to join the bandwagon.

15. Beavenburt

Beavenburt Registered Member

Thought i'd revive this old poll. After much distro hopping over the last six months I feel i'm qualified enough to answer now! :cool:
    My favourite is Arch. You get out exactly what you put in. It's a very rewarding distro. You build your system up how you want it and only install what you want. There's no bloat, no software that you really don't want or need. Totally customisible, so you end up with a truely unique OS personal to you.
    Funnily enough, it may seem strange, but my next favourite is PCLOS 2007. Totally the other end of the spectrum to Arch. This is because it was by far the easiest to setup on the missus' Dell Laptop with the dreaded Broadcom Wireless card. Something I never managed to do with the (imo) overhyped Ubuntu.
    The thing is, you not only have to get a feel for the OS, it's also the DE aswell. One day i'd love Gnome and the next prefer XFCE. But now, after trying most of the DEs i've come to like KDE best.
    For me that is the greatest thing about Linux - freedom of choice.

16. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

I dual boot PCLinuxOS and Ubuntu, and am happy with both. I did favor PCLOS until I upgraded to Ubuntu 8.04. The look and font rendering on my system is beautiful. I am dying to try out zenwalk, but I also use this comp for work, and my setup right now is perfect and I don't want to screw it up.

17. Beavenburt

I really really liked Zenwalk and thought it was a keeper for a while. It's light and quick and was reletively easy to set up for my Broadcom wireless. I highly recommend it. Go on, give it a try ;)

18. steve161

Beavenburt, I'm fighting the urge to distro hop, and here you are encouraging me. Seriously, I think I am going to get a moderately priced laptop as a second computer, and either dual boot with MS/zenwalk or just linux; zenwalk/?

Edit: Actually, I think I may be done with windows.

19. Beavenburt

Do it, it's good idea if you like playing. There's some very moderately priced laptops out there with reasonable enough specs to run even the heavier distros. I use my old 2.5GHz / 512mb RAM desktop. Only that what is deserving enough makes it anywhere near the laptop, it's the missus pride and joy.
    I have totally migrated to Linux now. I've no need for Windows at all. Only use it at work now, or when fixing others malware infested machines.

20. Riverrun

Riverrun Registered Member

I'm certainly done with Windows, for the present at least, though I still have an old laptop running XP.

I find that using Linux is far more relaxing experience for me personally and though I bricked it about 5 times in 2007, those days are over. The thing is that Linux is sooo tweakable and when I got it first I just couldn't resist fiddling with it and those experiments often ended in tears.

I'm still using Gutsy and it's as stable as a rock.

My favourite Distro has to be PCLOS, (the result of a bout of severe Distro hopping) it and Mac OS X are the friendlest OS's I've ever used.

If I mess up my present and well beloved but slightly boring Ubuntu install, I will go back to PC Linux esp. now that I know how to manage the aggressive power issue (only affects laptops) thanks to this thread:

http://www.pclinuxos.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=58&topic=34793.0

21. Riverrun

Hello Benny,

I tried the then latest Zenwalk edition on my Linux laptop in January of this year and had a problem with screen resolution. When I asked in the forum, they told me that at time there was no way of resolving this problem in wide-screen laptops but that it would be fixed in the next release. I guessed that this wasn't entirely true (Linux is Linux after all) and I'm sure that if I were more adept that I could solve the problem. However, I was too lazy to search for a solution and so abandoned a beautiful, elegant and simple Distro. I haven't tried it since but if you like a minimal OS this is one to keep in mind.

22. Riverrun

Reading this makes me want to try Hardy once again.

23. Riverrun

I found that reducing the default font rendering in PCLOS by two points made a huge difference.

24. steve161

25. Eagle Creek

Eagle Creek Global Moderator

Ubuntu.
    Although I also like Mandriva.

But I'm not really a Linux guy.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.