Your email will contain advertisements.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by wilbertnl, May 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

PcWorld.com has an article stating that Paid AOL Mail Now Displays Ads.

Today I received an email from my Internet Service Provider (AT&T Yahoo!) with the message that beginning in May my email will be altered with added graphical advertisements.
    Of course this is presented as an improvement.

No doubt that gmail.com will follow this trend too.

Why didn't the postal service think of that, open your envelops and add some junk to it?

Anyway, I'm disturbed by this new direction, especially since I'm paying the highest premium for my service.
    I have no idea what is added to my personal messages and I probably wouldn't endorse the advertisement at all.

What do you think?

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i guess for yahoo its because of the unlimited storage they now provide.
    they need money to buy the storage.
    but alot of people will hate paying for it and still getting adverts
    enough magazines have junk in them.
    also i have sky and of course like all other sky customers you pay for skyone but it still has adverts!
    its crazy.
    lodore

3. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Given that most "pump'n'dump" spam uses images, it would seem to greatly increase the chance of such email being marked as spam and rejected or discarded. Would that be a good thing?

If you're paying for this service, then it would seem best to switch providers - and start using an alias service like SpamGourmet so you can change providers in future without having to inform everyone you correspond with.

4. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

If you are paying for a service,I don't think it should have ads.
    I have the ads on yahoo mail.For free I can't complain.

5. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I can understand if you dont pay for the service if they puts ads on it, but if you pay?! thats just sick.
    I love gmail and would gladly pay for it as long as I can block their data mining, but if they introduce ads (and I cant find a way to get rid of them) I will stop use it immediately.
    And if get emails from people who dont know how to block ads from their accounts, they will end up in the spam folder.

But I have faith that countermeasures will come.

6. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    People, if you have not noticed, if you use webmail for either yahoo or gmail, there are tons of stupid useless ads all over the place - but the wise usage of various FF extensions brings the total of displayed ads to nil.
    Mrk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.