Your browsing history may have been sold already

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by ronjor, Nov 1, 2016.

1. boredog

boredog Registered Member

"How/where do you do this in Adguard?"

please look at my screen shots posted above;) paid version plus beta.

just click on settings scroll to bottom and untick WOT

2. ArchiveX

ArchiveX Registered Member

3. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Yes, that's what I was trying to remember, thanks. I know it has different functionality but I've been wondering about it for a while and it might make me feel better after losing WOT lol. ;)

EDIT: 'Last Updated: January 13, 2012'

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/vtzilla/?src=search

Looks like abandonware.

4. avatar

It is available in AG for Windows and Mac only.

5. Stupendous Man

Stupendous Man Registered Member

The VirusTotal browser extensions are not abandonware.
    They are simply not updated when there is no need to update them. They just simply work. :)
    The VirusTotal browser extension for IE, VTexplorer, was updated January 2015, "to make it also work for IE11", as the VTexplorer .htm file says. (The .htm file says "2014", but the final version was January 2015. I know, as I was one of the VTexplorer community testers.)

6. Daveski17

OK thanks for the info. :thumb:

7. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

8. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Well how very interesting indeed.
    Selling user data to 3rd parties is hardly something new,correct me if im wrong but is not google in the same sort of practice.?
    Is google services then not to be trusted and banned throughout the internet realm.?

Hypocrisy in its highest form i think.

9. Daveski17

I'm guessing Google anonymise the data properly though. Or should I say, I'm hoping they do. :eek:

10. inka

inka Registered Member

TWB, from our past discussions I expect you realize that I line-by-line audit the code of any extension I install. If the extension code I had audited at that time was designed to telegraph full URLs, I would have been on here (or ghacks.net) screaming bloody murder...

To the contrary, I've sometimes chimed in (ghostery thread, a couple years back) to counter unfounded (ignorant and incorrect) "accusations" against a given extension. It's kinda frustrating that few (nearly no one) cares to actually read the code involved; instead, we end up with hearsay perpetuated by "my mind's made up, don't confuse me with the facts" folks.

As for "when might it have started", elsewhere today I read mention that WOT changed away from "open source" a year or so back.
    Really, are they now going out of their way to attempt to obfuscate their js extension code, or ar just no longer maintaining a public repo?
    Anyhow, I clicked over to the repo today and skimmed the code:
    github.com/mywot/firefox-xul

github.com/mywot/firefox-xul/blob/c2b3100a9dd1f988c8e2e7125333699552f65e0f/content/config.js
    ^--- here you can see how, based on reporter's rep (rookie...platinum), each reviewer's rating submissions are weighted

github.com/mywot/firefox-xul/blob/c2b3100a9dd1f988c8e2e7125333699552f65e0f/content/stats.js#L122
    ^--- here you can see that installtime can serve as a fingerprint, regardless whether user is logged into mywot.com user account
    (is installtime telegraphed to mywot stats server? I'll leave that to a more-motivated someone to check out)
    (At a glance, looks like it's factored into sessionid, which is telegraphed when requesting the nonce)

github.com/mywot/firefox-xul/blob/c2b3100a9dd1f988c8e2e7125333699552f65e0f/content/stats.js#L280
    ^--- here you can see (after tracing var this.lnkUrl and url and the call to query() method)
    that the entire URL, plus referrer URL, plus sessionid are among the payload

So, they've been doing this at least since 2015 and have been doing it in plain view (code posted to github)
    yet "170 million users" (reputed) have been oblivious until now, thanks to .de newssite article?

funnysad

11. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

Well I don't know how deep the hole goes (I quickly glanced at some source to confirm there was code to phone home URLs and stopped after that), but we are talking about a reputation checking system. Many of which query the cloud and/or otherwise phone home info. So you'd sort of expect that at least *some* users were watching traffic, peeking at source, and/or asking questions about what is sent to the servers.

To anyone who frequented the WOT forum: were their any discussions about phone home? About WOT sharing information with other parties? Were the changes now being discussed spotted by someone in the past?

12. boredog

13. boredog

14. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

I use Noscript on FF but I was not aware of this ...

Noscript: One of its features is that if you use the toolbar button's dropdown arrow to display a site's "contributing" domains, you can shift-left-click on a domain and get a list of "security and privacy information" vetting sites' pages for that domain. Web of Trust used to be one of NoScript's default vetting sites .. but not anymore!

I do not know if WOT was recently removed or not. I also do not know what filters Noscript was using on WOT when they used them as a contributor. I expect WOT identified a lot of websites that Noscript in turn vetted for scripting activity. I do not think Noscript blacklisted sites based on user ratings (IMO ... correct me if I am wrong).

15. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

You can still get this ext. on its website and thru cnet, etc, even though it seems to be a hot potato at this time. I hate to say this (and I never used Web of Trust because I never trusted it) but will it be detected as a PUP now by scanners set up for such? Terrible, right? That would be the final straw, the death knell, I think.

16. kls490

kls490 Registered Member

Just my two-cents FWIW...

The WOT option is also part of the Firefox Addon, Malware Search, v0.9.4.1. As shown in the attached screenshot, I've un-ticked the box beside WOT, as a precautionary measure.

Cheers!
    FF - Malware Search Addon containing WOT option.png

17. Stupendous Man

Do you mean on the WOT homepage or download page?
    Since a few days there is no longer a download option offered on those pages.

18. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

Well you are 100% correct, Stupendous Man. What kind of webpage leaves all the stuff like browser compatibility, mobile app availability, etc on its page but without a download button? Wow......

19. Stupendous Man

I can only speculate, but I guess they decided it was wise to pull the download option, but they have hope to fix things, shortly, so they don't want to clear the page.

20. Stefan Froberg

Stefan Froberg Registered Member

21. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

22. kls490

kls490 Registered Member

23. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Nice! Thanks for sharing.

Now that is what (WoT) I've been waiting to hear.

... But questions remain.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
  24. avatar

This is what they should have done in the first place (unless they don't see any other way of supporting development, not involving big-data stuff).

I've gotta hand it to Ghostery, they do it properly.

25. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

It is sad that the developer of a product/service ostensibly meant, and trusted, to provide its users with security/safety... a developer that proclaims it "take its users' privacy rights very seriously"... will not refrain from selling/sharing its user's data. Not even after being caught in a manner like this and having a chance at true redemption.

Unfortunately, MyWOT is the type of thing that would likely attract huge numbers of technically weak and sheepish users. Most of whom probably haven't heard of this incident and never will. The type of people who would be likely to overlook the importance of an opt-out setting that is critical to their security/privacy, or refrain from changing such a setting due to a fear that it would break something important.

I hope parties in the EU, Finland, and/or wherever push for a formal legal investigation into MyWOT, its owners/operators, what transpired, and how things will be handled in the future. Especially their communicated intention to address the sharing of user data via opt-out settings rather than opt-in. Developers in the security, privacy, and other protective spaces must be held to the very highest standards. By all.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.