You tell me why not Returnil and nothing else

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by trjam, Dec 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

The problem is that they haven't updated it for Vista, and I doubt they will ever do it (I'm obviously referring to ShadowUser).

Last edited: Dec 10, 2008
  2. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

I love Returnil Virtual System! Its great, but if you become infected with whatever then you could have already compromised your data before a system reboot. If you don't have anything on your computer worth protecting then don't worry about it, but if you have personal info or work info / etc.. then it may still leak out before you reboot. Lets say you are making an online purchase or a transaction with your bank. You are filling out some sort of an application etc.. There's a window of opportunity that you could be compromised. Of course after you reboot you will no longer be infected, but the damage could have already been done. Again.. i believe Returnil Virtual System is an excellent product! You still need a good anti-virus, firewall, and protection against malware unless you don't do transactions on the web that require giving your information away.

3. Boost

Boost Registered Member

Excellent post :thumb:

I'll say it til the last day I ever need a computer,that if you need a ton of security programs,and there's a bunch of you here,then please,if your that risky of a user,please shut down the computer til your ready to be a "normal" person who uses their computer as a tool,not some sort of defense phobia :argh:

4. trjam

trjam Registered Member

And what are you going to use to protect you during that bank transaction? Lets say you use Avira to protect you. In the last test by IBK it did great, but still missed 8708 pieces of malware. And anyone of those missed, might have been the perverbial keylogger that ruins your finances.

I mean in the end, you do what you can, use what you feel will work, use some common sense, and pray for the best. So that is why I just feel that a combo of anything in my sig just makes sense. If it is going tyo hit you, it will and a simple reboot is nice to flush the toilet clean.

5. PROROOTECT

PROROOTECT Registered Member

Trjam, la peine perdue, the vain and they have a mask on the eyes and plugged ears. Is it their new religion?..
    They like to go into dangerous places, they like the danger. The REAL MEN, what ...
    Thanks for opening our eyes?..

Maybe Returnil? Maybe Sandboxie? Maybe Prevx?
    Maybe Returnil? Maybe ... defense phobia ...

Bravo Boost, congrats TRJAM!

Excellent, excellent, excellent ...

PS. Chrome sturmen: have you Free edition of ShadowServer? For me?:argh:
    And for your Yahoo! look to: http://forum.ytkpro.com/viewtopic.php?t=5601

6. PROROOTECT

Steve, Hugger, help me! Help me! They want to kill me !!!

*puppy*

7. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

Maybe I am the only guy here, but I use Windows SteadyState. Apart from implementing policy restriction on users, it also can do Disk Virtualization.
    Which can be set to revert all changes after restart, fixed time interval or manually.

Best of all, its free for home and commercial use. And it supports Vista :thumb:

Don't see why I should move to Returnil Free ....

8. PROROOTECT

9. Cloak

Cloak Registered Member

Is there any reason to run multiple System level virtualizations software? I don't think there is a difference between running one or running multiple simultaneously. What's the point? Are there any benefits?

What is protecting while you are doing your bank transaction if you have no protection at all? I'd at least like to have some kind of protection running while working. Sure it might not protect me from everything, but it's sure as hell better than nothing.

A reboot doesn't really help if the same threats keep coming back at you when you want to continue doing your bank transaction.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2008
  10. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Basically Geswall. I mean if you are going to do a lot of banking on line then no matter what you use, you are still at risk.

11. Cloak

Cloak Registered Member

That's true, but what I mean to say is, wouldn't it be better to use a combination of protection rather than sticking to one type of protection? You won't get hit as hard if you had extra lines of defense. It just makes sense to me that way.

Also you haven't answered my questions.

I'm new to these system level virtualizations softwares. Do you think should I just stick to one or would I benefit from using multiple? Don't they all basically do the same thing? Is there any reason to run multiple System level virtualizations software? What's the point having more than one if they do the same job? But I guess some may be more flexible than others. But still, if their primary job is clearing the nasty after a reboot which I'm sure they all do, why bother having different ones?

And thank you, I will have a go at GeSWall.

12. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Yes and no. I know that Geswall and Returnil can have memory issues over time. Sandboxie and Returnil dont. So yes, to many are a bad thing. But it is all in how you set it up.

13. trjam

trjam Registered Member

also keep in mind Geswall will detect malicious attacks. So it is more then just a virtualization software.

14. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Farmerlee at post #12 has already answered: You start your computer in shadow mode (virtual mode), do your business as fast as you can, and then reboot as soon as you're done. I can assure you nobody is going to get you, unless the hacker is stalking you presumably because he knows you have a fat account online.

I used to do banking online, not anymore, and it would be foolish to have an account with a great deal of money online anyway.

If your are talking about virtual volumes, you are wrong: A reboot will delete anything that has been done on a previous session.

15. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

what i do is i got a prepaid crdit card,so load it when i need to buy something ofcourse no more than 20 to 50 bucks:D so a hacker is going to have a hard time for just 20 bucks:D

16. Long View

Long View Registered Member

old habits die hard - I tend to reboot quite frequently - e.g when I go to get another coffee or beer. Rebooting is of no concern.

I didn't like the way sandboxie was slow to operate the first time used. Just find sandboxie annoying - not to my taste.

As I have never seen any malware I don't real see Sandboxie as doing anything of value for me, wheras I can do all sorts of test with ahdow defender, make mistakes and then reboot. sandboxie would be of no help for this sort of thing.

17. Long View

sorry - no idea. I have 4 gb so I guess I can live with it. according to Windows Task Manager I was using 245 mb and when I turned SD on it jumped to 246 mb. Perhaps the 256 relates to the amount of memory that can be used before using the hard drive ?

18. Miyasashi

Miyasashi Registered Member

I am not using Returnil yet but read a lot of good things about this little tool.

What I'm wondering about is whenever protection is on does it mean that when you reboot EVERYTHING changed is gone? (even the good things?)

For some reason I think I would be better off using Sandboxie while browsing and when opening "untrusted" programs. (With Anti-virus / Spyware in the back).

I tend to download alot of things, like images from several websites and I tend to forget even the obvious things... so even with the desktop toolbar on I would forget everything will be gone after reboot.

Can anybody tell me if I should use Returnil because I am not sure

19. TechOutsider

TechOutsider Registered Member

I've been using Norton since March and I was infected 0 times.

20. pidbo

pidbo Registered Member

I like Sandboxie running inside a Shadow Defender session
    you can designate your folders or files to keep in both programs.
    Sandboxie needs a bit of advance planning/forethought as to which folders you want to use, I find that trying to choose a "quick recovery" folder mid-session doesn't work...you think you've downloaded something, recover it and then it is not there. If you designate your recovery folders in advance then no problems.
    I run a virus checker and malwarebytes over my sandbox before I "commit" anything to my "real" drive

I run limewire installation file sandboxed (it doesn't require a re-boot then delete it "delete contents" after each (limewire) session, keeping things nice and "clean", even within a Shadowdefender session.

21. Long View

I've not been using Norton since March and have been infected 0 times. Not sure what point you are trying to make ? are you suggesting that somehow Norton protected you in a way that Returnil would have not ?

22. philby

philby Registered Member

Good question...

23. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

What about this post? "I tested it and it is dangerous; partially evaded Norton -.- required manual removal -.-" from here:https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=228529&page=4?

You're kind of confusing me. First you have malware that gets past sandboxIE/virtual systems, which (so far) is proven not to be the case. Then claim you've never been infected with anything, yet the quoted post above and a couple of others by you show you have. I'm not so much personally on the attack as I am trying to get the straight scoop. If you have malware that is getting past all this stuff, you NEED to report it so it can be dealt with.

Edit: I may very well have jumped too quick and might owe an apology depending on the answer to:https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=228812&page=2.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2008
  24. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

Everything in the partition with Windows will be unchanged after reboot. However, files in other partitions, or in a Returnil virtual partition, will remain after a reboot. Other options for saving files: use USB thumbdrive, upload to Internet, burn to DVD, etc. The Premium edition also has a feature called 'Selective File and Folder Saving'.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.