Yikes! Unbootable PC after attempting restore

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by InforMed, Apr 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. InforMed

InforMed Registered Member

Latest build 3887 of TM v9.1. Following procedure carried out:

• Ran TM to restore image from network from within Windows
    • Went through the normal procedure but expected it to have to reboot as the files are in use
    • Was pleasantly surprised at the option to enter username and password for the backup archive so entered DOMAIN\Administrator and password. I like this feature - well the idea of it, as it failed...
    • PC rebooted and as I was interested in this new username & password option I watched the boot process
    • TM recovery started automatically on reboot and the splash screen appears. It said something like "Preparing network"
    • PC rebooted on it's own - oh oh!
    • Now when the PC tries to boot, it says "Starting Acronis Loader, No commans for booting operating system. Press <Enter> to reboot"
    • No matter now many times one presses <Enter> it keeps saying the same
    At this point, with an unbootable PC, one's heart sank but fortunately I've got a restore CD from which I was able to boot and restore the image in the same way as before.

So something is amiss with this new option to enter username and password. Some additional information:

• I have two network cards - one wireless and the other wired. TM can't handle the wireless one but works fine from the wired NIC
    • Does the install progrem update the copy of Acronis in the recovery manager? If not, it's possible that the recovery manager was an older build

Cheers, Rob.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2007
  2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello InforMed,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Workstation Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please note that we would need some additional information in order to provide you with the correct solution.

Could you please clarify when exactly you were asked to enter the username and password? Was it the username and password to access a networked shared folder?

Please also describe actions taken before the problem appears step-by-step. Have you restored disk/partition image archive or file-based backup (backup of separate files/folders)?

Note that if you use Acronis Startup Recovery Manager to boot the standalone version of Acronis True Image you will need to activate it once again after the update (Tools -> Activate Acronis Startup Recovery Manager).

The same applies to Acronis True Image Bootable CD. We recommend you to create a new Acronis True Image Bootable Rescue CD using the latest build of Acronis True Image.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Last edited: Apr 13, 2007
  3. InforMed

InforMed Registered Member

This was just before TI attempted to start the restore from within Windows. I assume the new version works out there are locked files (as before) but now prompts you for a domain username and password just before reboot so you don't have to manually re-nagivate to the image when Linux TI takes over on reboot.

Pretty much as in my original post:

1. Run TI withing windows
    2. Select image to be restored from the network
    3. Enter username & password for the networked drive, I assume to be used by the Linux IT during reboot
    4. Let Windows reboot
    5. Linux kicked in and started up
    6. Linux TI rebooted
    7. Problem with unable to boot occurs

As I said, that could be the problem. However, it's very dangerous to allow an upgrade but not warn the user to re-install the startup recovery manager if it causes this problem.

Cheers, Rob.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.