Yikes! Fare thee well, Unity 2D

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by vasa1, May 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

2. moontan

moontan Registered Member

3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

It will be supported for 5 years on lts, so that's good enough for now.
    Mrk

4. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Unity 3D is snappy for me on a 2009 Dell 1545 laptop. But then I don't compare FPS or whatever. In other words, no heavy graphics. My formula- and macro-heavy spreadsheets open quickly in Calc. Even editing spreadsheets in Google Docs is a joy. I was trying out 2D to see if I could notice it being "lighter". Can't say I notice much. It's back to 3D tomorrow.

5. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

They are discontinuing unity-2d as a separate project. 2d support is planned be integrated with what is currently unity-3d.

6. On the one hand, this doesn't sound so great for users of low-spec computers. On the other hand, Unity 2D is itself pretty sluggish, and really only pays lip service to the idea of running Ubuntu on low-spec computers.

(FWIW: 12.04 with Unity 2D is slow as molasses on a Core 2 Duo workstation with 4 GB of RAM, which is not by any means what I'd call low-spec. The bloat is totally out of control.)

I'm really a bit disturbed by the way major desktop distros (and desktop environment projects) are abandoning all pretense of running on low-powered hardware. Maybe I'm being sentimental... But one of the big reasons I migrated to Linux in the first place was that it could run - not badly, either - on a Pentium II desktop with 192 MB of RAM. And through most of high school I was using a Powerspec desktop with 128 MB of RAM, which Linux also ran quite well on. Expecting anything to run with less than 256 MB would be a bit much these days, but I'm still quite disappointed to see this OS getting so porcine that it can't run properly with 4 GB and a Core 2 Duo. It strikes me as bending quite unnecessarily to the industry's desire for planned hardware obsolescence.

7. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

Both Unity 2 and 3D run quite snappily on my HP 2.0 ghz laptop with 4 gigs of ram. It does have an nvidia video card in it, though. I guess it depends upon your hardware as to how well Unity runs.

Later...

8. moontan

moontan Registered Member

i found moving a windows fastly around was not as smooth as i'd like.
    of course, i can't complain because i'm using a 5 years old computer.

but the graphic responsiveness is much better with Bodhi Linux, or Windows 7.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.