YesShield - SD clone ?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by abu shofwan, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

This looks intriguing anyway. I don't trust it yet, but I'll keep my eye on it. For some time now I've wanted to try Shadow Defender 1.1.325, but am unable to, since you can't find an installer for it anywhere, and if you did can't trust any key you'd purchase anymore (if you even can).

Leaving YesShield as the only viable option here.

2. KelvinW4

KelvinW4 Registered Member

I'm using it... Seems fine to me. I contacted the developer a day ago and I'll see what he/she has to say.

3. ichito

ichito Registered Member

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=2138953&postcount=1447
    Next info from this forum
    - installation files of both programs have the same version 4.65.0.0
    - after comparison of logs from installation we can see similar or even the same line and entries e.g.
    from SD
    from YS
    Driver diskpt.sys is the same in both apps.

4. WSFfan

WSFfan Registered Member

SD version 1.1.0.325.It has two setup files.Second setup file includes some silent update.

5. The Shadow

The Shadow Registered Member

I believe you should not have checked the option to restart in protected mode, because by doing that the bootkit probably was not cleared from YS' virtual container!

Please try repeating the test with YS - but this time restart the system into unprotected mode. Then see if TDSSKILLER finds any trace of the bootkit.

TS

6. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

Has anyone here who is running Windows on an SSD tried YS? I'm curious about whether or not YS supports an SSD system configuration (as of this time, SD does not). :doubt:

Cruise

7. taleblou

taleblou Registered Member

Hi:

I will do as you say. Also I did the same for shadow defender with rebooting in shadow mode and still no infection? Anyway I will retest it as you say with default reboot in normal boot and let you know.

8. taleblou

Hi:

I tried the test again and this time with default normal boot and yesshield passed? Tdsskiller did not detect anything. Also I did the same retest with toolwiz timefreeze and timfreeze failed. tdsskiller detected tdss and tdl4 infection.

9. KelvinW4

Mixed results..... did you do it right the first time?

10. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

Not sure about this. I had SD on my old laptop. I put YS on this one turned on protection, same as with Shadow Defender and downloaded a browser just to test it.

When I rebooted, the browser was still there and working, as if nothing had happened. From all I can tell, this is basically SD with a different name. It should have returned my laptop to its old state, but it didn't.

The only thing different is, I've got NoVirusThanksEXE Radar Pro (free) on this computer. I don't know if that could make the difference.

11. KelvinW4

So it didn't restore the changes made?

12. The Shadow

Hi there,

Thanks for your effort in repeating the test as I suggested. As I suspected your bootkit sample was cleared from YS' container when YS was set to restart the system normally (without YS active). Obviously Toolwiz is an inferior design from a security viewpoint, and in that regard SD is even stronger than YS, so although YS may have copied some of SD's ideas, your tests go to validating SD as the undefeated LV security champ!

TS

13. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

Nope. It was in protection mode. I downloaded a browser (Maxthon), and used it for an hour, then rebooted to unprotected mode. It should have restored the computer but didn't.

I was surprised. It left the browser. I ran Ccleaner and cleaned out over 100mb of I guess browsing data etc that I did. It was as if I hadn't been in protection mode at all.

14. KelvinW4

I downloaded the setup for ccleaner made a few folders and deleted some stuff. It was all contained by Yesshield.

15. taleblou

this is weird I tested yesshield again and the tdss was patched and detected by tdsskiller. I have included a pic of test.

Attached Files:

16. SLE

SLE Registered Member

Reboot after infection...and then run TDSS Killer.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  17. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Cannot agree more!
    This Combo is:
    -Light in Resources
    yet
    -Formidable when dealing with malware. :thumb:

18. taleblou

I did that. I had it set to auto protect. This is after reboot. It seems its a strange bug that if you autoboot normaly no infection but if you boot up back to protect mode then infection.

19. The Shadow

See post #55 for explanation.

TS

20. taleblou

But that not should have matter as restarting should have cleared the infection. At least it is like that is how it is with shadow defender and if yesshield is a clone of SD then it should clear the infection regardless of being boot in normal or protect mode. Having to normal boot every-time you turn your pc and then enter shadow mode is a bet of a headache if someone wants to have it in constant protection mode rather then manually doing it every time pc reboots.

That's why shadow defender is great at.

21. KelvinW4

They replied to my email. They were unwilling to give out any information about the Yesshield background.

22. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

23. ichito

ichito Registered Member

They probably earned less money as they expected but it's not strange because YS after all "researches" seems to be not only clone of SD but the clone that have been earned in unclear way...even maybe illegal.

24. kupo

kupo Registered Member

With this alone, I suggest everyone not to use it. (Just my opinion :) )

25. buckslayr

buckslayr Registered Member

They replied to my email. This version is free forever. Future upgrades not free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.